It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hello.

my name is mike. i am a "recovering" oxycodone addict. i have been clean on suboxone 4mg/day for 8 days.

i was up to about 200mgs of oxycodone a day when i was caught by my girlfriend. im actually glad. i knew it wouldnt end until the bottom fell out.

i've been feeling great. plan on staying on suboxone for a while though.

i found dr. junings blog and really like his approach to treatment/suboxone. i also like his writing and the fact that he is/was an addict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:06 pm 
It's great to have you here Mikek! Welcome to the forum and welcome to recovery! You'll find tons of help and support here. I agree with you - it adds a lot to know that the founder of the forum is an opiate addict in recovery like us!
I'm glad you found Suboxone and that you're doing well on it so far. I, like so many others, have found it be an absolute Godsend in my recovery! I remember my first few weeks on it.....I just felt blown away by how "normal" I felt. I've been on it about 7 months now and am still doing well with it. I have tapered some, but am in no hurry to discontinue the medication completely.
I hope you'll spend some more time reading around on the forum and educating yourself about addiction and recovery and Suboxone. The medication helps tremendously in this battle, but you'll need other tools as well. We're all here in it with you! I sure hope you'll become a frequent poster here. We'd love to hear more about you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome Mike!

I hope you find this blog interesting, and informative. I know I have. The moderators are top-notch - and I believe information and opinions are spot on.

I was also an oxycodone (not oxycontin) addict. 100+mg's a day for me, and I'm stable on suboxone for now. Tapering in my doc's style, so I'll probably be looking at a future SLOW taper.

I'm glad you are here, and hope you visit and provide input!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome........all I can tell you is that this addict has been on sub for 9 months..and I have my life back...no more cravings, lying and stealing. I hopeyou find the same......We are alive when we should be dead. I hope you get to see and live the miracle of this drug..I have no desire to quit anytime soon...I am finally living the life that I think God wants to me to live......good luck and keep us up to date on your status......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:51 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Welcome, Mike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:34 am 
New Poster
New Poster

thanks everyone.

im weary of my present state and how great i feel. i know the hard part is going to be 6 months or a year from now when everything has kinda blown over. right now my family, my friends and my girlfriend have been SUPER supportive. more than i deserve. it wont always be like this though and i know it. right now i have no desire to go back and im really thankful for suboxone for that.

i look forward to having some $$. i was thinking about it. now that im not using pills, i dont know what to spend it on!
i think i used to enjoy fishing once upon a time....

lathedude. oxycontin IS oxycodone (OXYcodone CONTINuous release). I only say this bc i am suprised at the number of my friends who use roxicodone (oxycodone IR) 30'mgs but stay away from any oxycontin bc of how addictive it is!
percocet, tylox, roxis, oxys...its all the same stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:55 am 
Lathedude knows about the oxycontin/oxycodone thing. We just tend to discuss them as different medications because of the instant versus sustained release thing. It's sometimes important to distinguish between the two here on the forum because of issues that arise at Suboxone or Subutex induction time. For example if one's drug of choice is regular old oxycodone, you're safe to start Suboxone at around 24 hours post your last dose of oxycodone. However if one's drug of choice is oxycontin, one would need to wait longer to start Sub because the half life of that drug is much longer than plaiin ole oxycodone. Anyway, that's why you'll hear us often refer to them as if they're different drugs. (hopefully that made some sense!?!) It's funny that your friends think one is more or less addictive than the other......lots of ignorance out there when it comes to prescription drug addiction!
Anyway, keep up the good work in recovery. It will take a long time for relationships to be repaired from the broken trust that happens when we're addicted to drugs. I'm glad your loved ones are standing by you....show them they did the right thing by being really committed to getting and staying better!

Post subject: Mikek !!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

WOW, great start, be patient with yourself, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:30 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Mike and glad you are here.

Thanks for the clarification. Setmefree was right, in that we often get people here who have a hard time getting into mild/moderate withdrawals (I was one) before they start suboxone. Oxycontin, methadone, and then fentanyl patches seem to be some of the most challenging based on the longer half life (thus the longer time with zero pills to get to mild/moderate withdrawals).

Everyone seems to be different their with metabolism so, there are rules of thumb for time - and better yet - a COWS score (I have seen some use that score before starting suboxone also). Your first post didn't say anything about which flavor you were using, but obviously if you have made it 8 days and are doing fine - you avoided precipitated withdrawals! Congratulations on your next steps in a clean life.

Post subject: Welcome!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Mike,
Let me add my welcome & Congrats for getting clean and finding the Site.. I traveled a similar road to addiction as you! I was also on Oxycodone as my DOC! I got up to 300 - 350 mgs./day when I finaly surrened and got some Help!! Suboxone has also been a God send to me. With that and some counseling I just pass my 1 year mark!!! Still have a long way to go (a lifetime) but, I know I am on the right road now. As Reraise said please come back and keep us posted on your Revovery!!
This is a great forum with some great members. I think you will find it quite helpfull.
Well Best of luck

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:49 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

wouldn't oxycontin tend more toward addiction because it maintains oxycodone in your system more continuously? If you take an oxycontin every 12 hours, you are continuously on oxy. If you do the same with oxycodone IR, you are giving your body breaks and letting addiction set in. It's the same thing (generally) as using heroin every other day is less likely to get you addicted than using heroin every day.