It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re: Hello...I'm scared.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:05 pm 

Hey WILSON!!
Big day today! :D ..
Hope all gos well and we will be waiting for a report.
Good luck, and do not be afraid. ...

Razor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BIG DAY INDEED!

Today was not without issues though. Got to the doctor at 10AM....first in line. Took my last dose of Oxycodone on Saturday night around 5:30pm. Needless to say...last night kinda sucked, but I made it through. Doctor did the COWS chart....said I was an 18 and said he would start me on an 8mg dose. Induction was not done in the office. He gave me a script for a 7 day supply, had me sign that I would stay clean otherwise be dropped. He then explained how it all works. He simplified the whole thing but he had it pretty much how I've read online. I headed to the pharmacy with my script for 8mg films. When I got there, they said that my insurance would not cover the script. I then called the doctor in a panic saying I would pay the cash ($60) for the week and get it sorted out. He said not to do that and called my insurance to get it authorized. They said it would take 20-48 hours.....oh hell no....at that rate I would have been out of WD altogether and just said fuck it and try on my own. I know better so I kept calling and he finally said that my insurance would only cover generics....so no film. I had to run back to the office and get the new script and run it back to the pharmacy. My WDs were moderate at this point....almost 48 hours with no Oxy.

I took my first dose of 8mg a half hour a go. I am already starting to feel much better...a little fuzzy but better. I was told to take my dose each morning first thing. I assume that this is ok to do even though I took my dose late today right? Should have asked him that before I ran out of the office but I was just so damn anxious to get this started that I forgot.

I was told that I will be at this dose for at least 6 months and then we would start dropping by 1mg each month. This is all assumed that everything goes well.

So....that is it! I am now a part of the club.

I did notice that at least 3 of the 4 patients that were in the office this morning were there for Subs. All walks of life. Me, Business Man, Mid-20s tattooed guy, older woman. Addiction knows no boundaries and Subs are really making a difference in those lives.

By the way....my name is Kevin. Nice to meet all of you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:31 pm 

Hey Wilson, welcome to the club lol. Glad everything worked out for ya and ur feeling better now. Ur definitely going to see what a blessing sub is. And yes, u can resume ur next dose in the morning, there wouldn't be any issues with that. I hope ur Dr helped explain things good to ur wife also, it's awesome u have her support. Again, congrats on ur New journey and if any questions or issues come up, just ask :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok...so about two hours in, I feel great. Aside from a little dizziness and some sweating (which I have a problem with anyway due to my other meds) all is going fine.

My wife was with me the entire day and even asked a few questions herself when the doctor was meeting with me. She is my rock. She just said I looked fine now and is amazed at how this stuff works.

A little background on some other stuff. I loved using Percocet/Oxy not only because of the warm feeling everyone talks about. Before I started using I suffered with IBS all the time. I would eat...and 20 mins later I was in the bathroom, it sucked. I really had to watch what I ate. When on Oxy I never had those issues. It was a magic drug that made me feel good, gave me confidence and solved my IBS issues. It made me feel "regular". I just didn't realize that it was slowly killing me.

I look forward to tomorrow.

Ohh....question:

I am taking Activis AN 415 8mg/2mg pills. When I spoke with the doctor he said that I should just put it under my tongue and let it dissolve. I asked about swallowing excess saliva and he said that is fine, just don't swallow the pill. That is what I did and it seems that it worked just fine. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:32 pm 

Yes yes, Wilson welcome to the club. ..congrats you made it.

The only thing I will add as far as dosing is that when the tablet starts to desolve take the tip of your tougue and begin to "paint" the entire inside of your mouth with the medicine.
Start with a very dry mouth. When med gets pastie ,paint.

This will keep the bupe in contact with as much surface and for the most time. Keep doing this for a good 15 ins or so.

This will help with absorbtion. ..

Razor....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Kevin,

Glad to hear everything worked out for you and you are feeling well! That's awesome. Congratulations on taking the first step in your recovery!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok...Day 2.

At work today (no choice on this one) but not digging the whole lightheaded feeling. Especially when driving to work this morning. I've got a 40 mile commute each way daily and really do not want to feel this way each morning. Actually...I'm still a little bit lightheaded even now but I am full of energy and being way more productive at work then I have been in months. I really hope that this will subside as I acclimate to the sub.

I am also getting the occasional hot flash / light sweats here and there but nothing too unbearable.

Overall...so far so good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Wilson,
Welcome and glad you are here!
I have been on subs for 4 yrs and was inducted on 2 or 3 mg (fuzzy on exact dose).
I was a daily IV user. I am now on 16 mg for both addiction and pain issues but I could survive perfectly ok on much less. In my experience starting low was a great way to induct and I don't recall having any side effects. It blows my mind ppl are inducted on such high doses. I don't understand this.
Hopefully things level out for you. If what your experiencing doesn't soon resolve, maybe consider along with your DR, lowering your dose.
Also, after four yrs on sub I still " feel" my dose and it's for this reason I never dose in the AM.
Even 2 mg would make me feel "affected" at work.
I dose when I get home from work and this works best for me.
Hoping you find what works best for you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Kevin

Welcome and happy to hear another addict is trying to improve their life.
Im on about day 20 of sub strips. I had a massive opiate and benzo habit which was apparently quite dangerous mix. It took the professionals over a month to convince me of this and so I decided to try sub. I started on 8mg, a week later I went up to 12mg and I was still craving a lot. The next visit I was put on 18 and it was doing assort of fairly good job. On sunday my doc put me up to 24mg and im finding it really good. Not one craving since and yesterday I nearly even forgot to go to the pharmacy.
You just have to be honest with your chemist and if s/he is any good they will change your dose accordingly. I don't want to stay on 24 forever and apparently after im stable on it for a while I can start tapering I have been told I should be on it at least 6 months for the chemical and brain changing stuff and also so I don't relapse. I hear people saying they will go on it for 2 weeks only, but I cannot imagine them being successful.
When I have my dose I can feel a little light headed or slightly drowsy for about 30 mins but I think that will go away in time. I drive 1 hour to work and 1 hr home and would not take it before work. One reason is that the chemist isn't open before I have to leave for work and the other is safety whilst driving. So just suggestion, you could do what I do and take it the same time every day but after work. I cant get to my chemist until just after 6pm and they close at 7. Then I'm at home and not driving or anything. Due to the half life my doc says its totally fine to take at night and it does not effect my ability to sleep either.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Mel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 3....same old same old.

I actually wasn't as lightheaded today driving to work but later in the day started to feel a little sluggish then agitated. I realized that I forgot to put my nicotine patch on this morning. Oh yeah...I am also quitting smoking. After I was diagnosed with CML I quit but somehow I managed to start up again. Add the opiate addiction in there and I was like a chimney. I am on the last week of step 3 patches....then I will be smoke free. Unfortunately I forgot the patch this morning and about half way through the day I felt it....it was like I was really craving something....that is when I realized it was the nicotine and not the oxy that I was craving. Right now I don't really need to be feeling anything like that so when I got home I threw a patch on....even if only for a few hours today.

Possible dilemma. A hurricane is coming up the East Coast....looks to be coming right into us by Monday. Monday is my follow-up with the doctor to check me out and renew my script going forward as I only received 7 days worth. My last dose of sub is for Sunday...then I meet Monday morning for the checkup. I really don't want to chance not being able to get the new script on Monday due to inclement weather, plus I have to be on call (and possibly report to work) on Monday due to the storm. Therefore I called the doctor and changed my appointment to Saturday morning just to be safe.

There is always something to worry about!

On a lighter note....I slept pretty good last night but I'm still exhausted from the lack of sleep Sunday night (WD) and the adjustment to sub on Monday night.

ONWARD!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 5.....whoops missed a day!

Today is here and well....I feel pretty good, almost like myself. I do have the occasional hot flash / sweats but overall I am doing much better. The lightheadedness is minimal now...thank God! That was what I was worried about the most.

I get a little winded around 2-3pm every day but that is nothing new as I always ran out of gas each day before around that time.

I am sleeping like a ROCK now. I went to bed at 9:45pm last night and I slept right through. Also, I used to wake up when my wife did and not be able to fall asleep (probably due to the W/Ds I was starting to have in the mornings).

I am excited to see what next week brings!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:50 pm 

It's very common to feel side effects that fade as your body gets used to buprenorphine! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:51 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I'm glad things seem to be working out for you! Please continue to keep us posted.

Interestingly, a lot of people seem to have insomnia on buprenorphine, but like you, I sleep like a rock and fall asleep instantly now (and I had had terrible trouble with insomnia from since before I started using any drugs whatsoever). I guess we won the "side effect lottery" in this respect!

I sometimes save part of my dose to take in the afternoon or evening; I don't know if this is a good idea for everyone, but it helped to keep me from running out of gas sometimes.

(Wow... I've had to re-log-in three times to make this post. Grr!)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:53 pm 

crossfinger wrote:
I'm glad things seem to be working out for you! Please continue to keep us posted.

Interestingly, a lot of people seem to have insomnia on buprenorphine, but like you, I sleep like a rock and fall asleep instantly now (and I had had terrible trouble with insomnia from since before I started using any drugs whatsoever). I guess we won the "side effect lottery" in this respect!

I sometimes save part of my dose to take in the afternoon or evening; I don't know if this is a good idea for everyone, but it helped to keep me from running out of gas sometimes.

(Wow... I've had to re-log-in three times to make this post. Grr!)

Me too!!!!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:02 pm 

Wilson I'm so glad to hear that everything is going well for u! Isn't it a wonderful feeling? Glad u let us know, have a great day :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well...it's been over a week since I started my journey with Suboxone. I have to say...I am amazed at this drug. I feel excellent, it's scary how good I feel and I am waiting for it to end suddenly but it hasn't...thank God!

The dizzy/lightheadedness has pretty much gone away. I take my dose and I am off and running. I still get a little tired in the afternoon but I power through it and all is well.

I want to say thank you to all of those who encouraged me to take this step.

I will be checking in often and reading others posts to get as much information as I can.

-Cheers!
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:43 pm 

:D :D :D :D :D :D Yup!!! I love it when this happens! !

You took a big step, a leap of faith and Boom, it has worked out wonderfully. Kevin, just keep doing what your doing. The "other shoe" isn't going to drop and stop this from working.

And yes, please read. May I Strongly recommend that you read Dr junigs Talkzone And pick up a copy of his Users Guide to Suboxone. Its a must read imo. A must..
Keep posting man!!!!!

Razor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Kevin- you made a wise decision. Please think for yourself, and read through some of the old threads on this site. I say this, b/c some people will come on this forum, and tell their "horror" story about being on subs after X number of months or years, and not even understand the fact that suboxone is the one thing that probably kept them stable during that time period, and gave them the ability to live their lives, with out all the drama that comes from using/chasing down drugs. The people that this medication seems to really work for, are the ones that use it to help with their recovery. Recovery is a process that takes time, and effort, and while this medication, at least for me, takes away any cravings I had, and also helps with my depression (immensely), suboxone is a part of the recovery process. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't try to find support groups (because they do work for some), but please understand that you have a disease called addiction, and that disease has to be treated everyday. I found that further down the road, most days were easy, but the days when things went to &^*%^, I had to rely on what I learned in counseling, and not run to my drugs to get me through the stress.

Just some things to think about, good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone! It's been a long time...I've been stopping by to read but haven't posted.

I wanted to check in and give a bit of an update on my journey.

Since starting Suboxone in September life has been pretty good. I started at 8MG and stayed on that dose for about 3 months. I was still not feeling like myself and told the doctor but he wanted to INCREASE my dosage when I thought I needed to drop. I didn't push the issue with him and decreased my dosage from 8mg to 6mg a day. I stayed at this dose for a month then I dropped to 4mg where I have stayed for 2 months. Felt great for the entire time. On Monday I had my monthly follow up and once again asked about tapering. He suggested that we start with this month cutting a small sliver off of an 8mg pill. I have not been 100% honest with him about what dose I am currently on because I fear he would drop me from the program. I need to do this my way so that is how I am progressing. As of 3/1 I have dropped my dose to 3MG a day. This is proving to be difficult using the 8MG pills but I'm doing my best. Been feeling a little "off" but nothing that I can't handle. I plan to stay at 3MG for the month then drop to 2MG, stabilize, 1MG, stabilize, 1/2MG....JUMP!

I am ready...I am strong and my wife has been so supportive of me all along the way.

I've also joined a Gym and workout everyday....this helps a lot! Trying to eat better as well.

I still have not told anyone (except my wife) that I am on Suboxone and that I am a recovering addict. I want to tell my really close friend and side business partner but fear that he would tell his wife and then others would know as well. My addiction was MY dirty little secret....nobody knew...nobody. I think I'd like to keep it that way. Maybe when I am no longer on Suboxone I will tell others about it, maybe not.

Till then it's stay the course and proceed as planned. Slowly....steady...positive!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:56 am 

Great to hear an update Wilson. U seem to be doing well. Sometimes in certain circumstances, we don't always have to tell the Dr every detail if that Dr was hell bent on increasing when u know it's just not what's best. If u have an understanding Dr it'd be cool but if u have one that's just not willing to listen then I guess u gotta do what u gotta do for urself. I totally understand that. My Dr has always tried to taper me way faster than I was ready for. I'd be a nervous wreck some months knowing I was gonna be going in there trying to talk him into not dropping me lower. It's gotten better and he's satisfied so far where I'm at but I know it's coming eventually. And if it does before I'm ready, I'll be looking for a new Dr unfortunately. So sometimes u just gotta do what's best for u. U seem to know what is best for u. Good luck!!!