It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone
I've been on 16mg of Suboxone (tablets) for a little over a year. I still question whether or no I am getting the best absorption. I take both tablets at once every day between 10am and 1pm, depending on when I wake up. I sleep late because I don't sleep well at night due to fibromyalgia and other pain issues.
I let both tablets dissolve and once they are I keep the medicine in my mouth for 15-20 minutes and then I spit it out. I usually start to feel the effects within 45 mins to an hour.
As I said, I still wonder if I'm getting max absorption. I've read to use maximum alcohol content mouth wash and then put the tablets under my tongue.
I've also read a lot on this forum about "Dr. J's" report but I can't find it. Can anyone tell me where I can find that?
Lastly, if anyone has any comments/suggestions about maximum absorption... Any and all would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-L

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:18 pm 

Hello and welcome Imwxoxo,

Sounds to me you are doing everything the right way. Are you having cravings at 16mgs, wd? 16 is a hefty dose.

Absorbtion of the med is best done by doing three things. Time spent, surface coverage and Consentration of the Buprenorphine.
Dr junigs post on this is titled "Optimizing Absorbtion of Buprenorphine " and be found by googling Suboxone Talkzone. When the page comes up you will see the title on the right side of the page. Plus many many other topics some one on the med should know.

Hope this helps helps .

Welcome and keep posting or asking questions. .

Razor...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Razor-- couldn't have said it better!

In general, people on buprenorphine worry the most about absorption early in treatment. With time they realize that buprenorphine lasts longer than they thought, and they develop confidence in the medication. Sometimes I'll have a patient who worries and worries about absorption, and then something will happen that causes them to run out early. Maybe they will take too much out of fear it isn't working. At that point, I will 'strongly urge' them to take half of the usual prescribed dose each day until they are back on track. After that experience, they often realize that half of their prescribed dose works just fine.... and they lose that anxiety about dosing.

To the writer of the post--- when you have true withdrawal, you will know it, and remember it. You'll say to yourself, 'oh, THAT'S right-- THAT'S the withdrawal I was worried about!!' Usually it won't hit you, though, until you are off Suboxone completely for a day or two. There are lots of hot flashes and other 'pseudo-withdrawal' symptoms early in treatment--- but I honestly think that those symptoms are more likely caused by anxiety, than by low blood levels of buprenorphine.

My comments about optimizing absorption may have caused too much attention to the dosing process... and they are most useful in cases where a person is trying to eke out a very low supply of medication.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:06 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't know why you spit it out after 15 or 20 minutes. You might be able to absorb a little more if you don't. As others have said, 16mg is a hefty dose. I started on 16 mg a day. After 18 months I found a different doctor who immediately reduced my dose to 12 mg. I noticed no difference. She soon reduced me to 8 mg a day. To tell you I felt better would be an understatement! I felt like I came out of a fog and felt like my dose was stronger.( A little bit of an opiate high.) No other dose resulted in the mild high feeling. Sometimes less is more with this medication,
My dose has been slowly reduced from 6 mg, 4 mg, 3, mg, and currently 2 mg. Each of these dose reductions required some getting used to but nothing to be afraid of.