It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, everbody. I just want to introduce myself and say how happy I am to have found this sight. I only joined last night and already have attained more information than I have been able to get in the several years that I have been taking suboxone. MY opiate use started after a back injury at work. The doctor had tried every medicine outside of opiates and finally 4 painful epidural corti steroid injections which I believe have caused other health problems. Finally, I ended up on 6 10mg hydrocodone per day. It so happened that I ran out before my next visit with my DR. so I had to find other things to keep me from the sickness and pain , the meds were percocet and valium. Well, he decided to piss test me and when he found out I was using other than what he had written he refused to treat me anymore. He was a workers comp DR. so I could not go to another doctor. When I finally started running out of meds and getting sick I went to the "street" and what was available were oxies or blues , 15mg then 30 mg, from there I was doomed. I almost lost my job and I knew I had to do something. Thankfully , I found a suboxone dr. . That was about 3 years ago. I had tapered down to 4mg a day at one point but now I usually do 4mg in the morning and another 4mg at night. I feel like it keeps me sane. The down side for me are the side effects. I am a 45 yr. old male . over the last 2 to three years I have gained about 20 pounds, before this my weight was average. After consulting my doctor about concerns about weight gain and lack of sexual desire and overall lack of energy, I had some blood work done. I found that my testosterone levels are scary low ( 95 ) when the normanl low is in the 200-300 and average is I think about 500-600. Which brings me to the now. Now I want to make a sincere effort to get myself off the suboxone, mainly because of these side effects, although it has been a blessing I want to move on with my life and not have to depend on this to feel normal. I know this is not going to be easy but I am hoping that with the help and support of the good people in this forum and the good Doctor Junig I can and will make it happen. I am looking forward to corresponding with the group and if any of you have words of wisdom for me , I am all ears.

Peace and
Thanks for listening,

Flyrishman or you can call me just B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey flyrishman,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Are you thinking of jumping off Suboxone from a high dose or are you considering tapering? If you're considering jumping from 8mg, be ready to have your ass handed to you.....it's a grueling process!! If I were you, I'd most certainly give tapering a try and during my taper, I'd be working with an addiction counselor to address my underlying addiction. If you just get off Suboxone and haven't really done anything about your addiction, you'll probably end up back on drugs before too, too long, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 pm 

Hey B.,

Welcome to the forum! I know that now that you've made the decision to get off sub you might feel like rushing into it. But I would caution you that you would be better off coming up with a realistic taper plan to follow. My journey from 16 mg to 2.5 mg has been very doable, but it has taken time! While you're tapering, you should definitely be working on underlying issues that feed into your addiction. I encourage you to read a lot of the tapering stories in the "Stopping Suboxone" section of the forum. The more thought and planning you can put into your goal, the better!

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: replacement
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Do you plan on going on replacement therapy. Might put you in a better spot for the taper and jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome B! Testosterone being lowered seems to be a common problem round' these parts. I wish I would have blood tested to see where mine was compared to now (35 days off suboxone).

I'll say my sex drive was pretty much....dead. its picked up about 25x fold since the day I've stopped.

I would heed the advice about tapering previously posted here. It can make things a lot more managable once you do decide to quit. I've written up a pretty detailed experience to quitting without tapering, you can compare it to my fellow quitter Hopespring ( who tapered ) in the stopping Suboxone forum.

I believe tapering can make the process far less sucky. I also think lowering your dose considerably may help your testosterone levels. I encourage you to make a thread in the stopping Suboxone part of the forum's when you do decide to stop. It's been an absolute neccesity in my own recovery. There are so many helpful amazing people that are more likely to view your thread in that section as well.

You can succeed with any method you choose. I'll say from my own experience that you won't be sorry for doing it either. It's a roller coaster to stop, but a great feeling once you succeed.

Update us with what you choose to do!

-WTBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:43 am 
What's going on fly? I'm in FL also. What area, If you are cool to answer that? I'm living in fort pierce, Fl. Welcome to the forum. There are alot of helpful people here to help when it comes to anything sub/opiod related. Including myself, (sometimes)

I know what you mean on sub lowering your testorone. I am going to get tested because i swear to god i think my T levels are being killed by subs as well. Some people are going to say it's because of my previous opiate use. Well i used 90-120mgs of oxy for a almost 3 months. So i don't buy it. The only medicine i take daily is sub. and i've been on it about 8 months now. So i know where it is coming from. : /

Have you tried androgel yet? I'm thinking of getting a prescription for it. My sub doc is willing to prescribe it since a few other people have had very similar experiences. I'm 24, and it's degrading to think i may need t medicine. Ugh...

Welcome to the forum and stick around fellow floridian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:53 am 
What's going on fly? I'm in FL also. What area, If you are cool to answer that? I'm living in fort pierce, Fl. Welcome to the forum. There are alot of helpful people here to help when it comes to anything sub/opiod related. Including myself, (sometimes)

I know what you mean on sub lowering your testorone. I am going to get tested because i swear to god i think my T levels are being killed by subs as well. Some people are going to say it's because of my previous opiate use. Well i used 90-120mgs of oxy for a almost 3 months. So i don't buy it. The only medicine i take daily is sub. and i've been on it about 8 months now. So i know where it is coming from. : /

Have you tried androgel yet? I'm thinking of getting a prescription for it. My sub doc is willing to prescribe it since a few other people have had very similar experiences. I'm 24, and it's degrading to think i may need t medicine. Ugh...

Welcome to the forum and stick around fellow floridian

Post subject: for will in FL
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey Will, I live in orlando. I have been on Sub. for over 2 years. My doctor offered androgel, but it is very expensive and takes a long time to take effect. I am going to see a Uroligist, and hopefully he will give me the injections, which are less expensive and they work quicker. But my levels are very low, I dont know if you have had your Test. levels tested, if not , I would recomend that you do so that at least you have a baseline to go by. I believe I am a lot older than you, so you might be ok with the androgel. I am going to try and keep posting my progress in the side effects forum. I have been excercising more as well, which has helped with my general sense of well being. I hear that it is supposed to help with low T as well. The low T for me is the main reason that I am trying to develop a plan to taper down and eventually off, hopefully for good. Suboxone has been a life saver and i am thankful for it, but I believe Im ready to move on. I am trying to do it the smartest way I can, and yes this forum is in my plan. I am grateful for all the great advice and people coming my way and being kind. Not to mention that writing about my experiences is cathartic in and of itself. Thanks for responding, see you around will.