It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been reading some posts on this forum for a little while and just registered. Not sure if it's OK for me to be here, as a friend of someone taking Subutex not Suboxone. I'm just trying to learn what I can to help me be a good friend. There are some local 12-step(?) groups near me but I don't know ... don't think my friend goes to one, or their family.

As I said, I just want to learn how to be a good friend, maybe understand better than I do now what my friend's going through. We talk, but I don't want to pry asking too many questions.

Hope it's OK for me to post here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rupert,

Welcome to the forum! Of course you are welcome here. It's pretty sweet of you to want to try an understand your friend's addiction/ treatment on a deeper level, wish there were more built like you. Do you have any specific questions? Anything that you're curious about, but maybe too shy or embarrassed to ask your friend directly? Let us know how we can help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, tinydancer!

I guess one thing I'd like to know more about is what are the day-to-day side effects of Subutex? I've read about some on drug forums, but they're like TV commercials for any other prescription drug nowadays, they list so many possible side effects (and in my case, prescriptions give me side effects not listed in the commercials). I think I'm picking up on some of the side effects my buddy is dealing with, but I don't feel comfortable asking about it because I don't want to sound critical or just nosy. I just want to be patient and sympathetic.

A couple of months ago when we were spending an afternoon together there'd been some problem getting my friend's prescription filled and they were really stressed out worrying if the insurance would go through, if the pharmacy would get it filled, and there was obviously a lot more going on than I could identify with. I wanted to "be there" for my friend but I felt totally helpless, and I knew I was, I knew I had nothing to offer because what was needed was to get the script filled. It did, the very next day, but since we didn't know that it would be, ahead of time, I just felt totally clueless as to how to act.

Is that OK? Just to know that when you don't know what to do, because there's nothing you can do, it's OK to just chill? Only how can you chill when your friend can't?