It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all, my name is Jiva. I joined the forum a bit ago but it took me a while to get it together and tell my story. I facilitate a suboxone support group in my town and i'm also an administrator for a suboxone support group called straight talk suboxone on facebook. anyway here's my story in brief as a more thorough I had a lot of drug use from a young age so i'll jump right to the thick of it. I tried heroin for the first time story would come in a novel format lol. I first tried heroin in 1994. by 1995 I was in full blown addiction and supporting my habit by the robbing of drug dealers, theft, and commercial burglary. that lasted about a year because I was quick to realize to be a "successful" heroin addict means you have to be a dealer. that lasted till 1999 when I was convicted of trafficking heroin and sentenced to 5 years in California prison. I did 3 on 5 and was clean the entire time because a quick way to get yourself killed in prison is a habit. I was released in 02, promptly relapsed and ended back in jail with 15 days of my release. my parole officer actually cared so she offered me a drug program rather than going back to prison. I was successful in the program, found religion, and after graduation moved into a hindu temple. I lived there for 3 years, clean and pretty content. however even living in such a supportive environment wasn't enough. I relapsed, left the temple, and spent 2005-2015 on and off heroin, in and out of jail, in and out of rehab, living the high life, and sometimes living in the bushes. even though I saw my first overdose death in 1996 it took until everyone, no exaggeration, everyone I knew when I began using was dead or disappeared, to consider maybe I was making poor choices. I personally have overdosed 6 times, most of them in the last few years. thank god Washington state, where I now reside, is very progressive about addiction and handed out narcan at the needle exchange. it finally got bad enough for me, it had to get to the point there was no joy whatsoever in using, for me to make a decision to change.it was a decision that had no clear forethought, it was more of a moment of clarity, a realization that I was going to die from using heroin and likely soon as I somehow managed to cheat death and use for a very long time. you don't meet a lot of heroin addicts who have been using 20+ years. most of us don't make that long. when I had that realization I left Olympia on the first bus heading north leaving everything behind but a backpack and enough h to keep me well for a couple days. on the bus I started searching online for suboxone doctors and clinics and making calls. I found a clinic in mount Vernon wa that I could get into within a week. I decided to move there knowing three people from the 2 weeks I had lived there before. when I came here I knew 3 people, had no money, no where to live, but wanted to get clean and knew I could get on suboxone. I ended up having to go to treatment again and spending some time in jail to satisfy my po (I managed to get my supervision transferred here) so I didn't get to actually get into the suboxone program for a little over 90 days. When I started the program about 4 months ago I was living in a homeless shelter with no money and a backpack to my name. my ssi payments were suspended because I had been in jail. i didn't even have id. after 4 months on suboxone and almost 7 months clean i'm sharing an apartment with a guy who's quickly becoming a close friend, i have more clothes and shoes than most girls, i'm typing this on my new laptop, i'm almost finished with iop, and i'm enrolled in college to get an aa in human sevices with a chemical dependency emphasis. but more important than any of that stuff is for the first time since i was a teenager, i have happiness. i have serenity, contentment, security, shit, sometimes i even have a little joy. I've tried everything else, I've been in and out of na and aa since i was a teenager in 1989. I've been to 7 different rehabs. i can't even count the times i detoxed, with and without suboxone. i lived in a temple for three years and that didn't save me. but with the help of suboxone and counseling I've accomplished more in 4 months than i have in over 20 years of treatment, 12 steps, jail time, and psych wards. this is why i'm passionate about suboxone treatment. it's helped me help myself in ways that nothing else ever has. I've seen myself grow, and watched others grow, so fast after years of misery. i'm dedicating the rest of my life to helping others find appropriate treatment so maybe some people don't have to live through what i did. so they don't have to wait till death is knocking on the door to get the hell out of the room.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:28 pm 

Hello Jiva & welcome :)

I have to say that ur story is somewhat similar to mine in the way of trying everything under the sun to get clean (except for the temple I never tried that). I did detox, rehab, cold turkey, NA, jail...U name it, I gave it my absolute best shot with no more than six months success. Until I found suboxone almost four years ago, I thought my life wasn't ever going to be anything but a complete struggle. Thank God I found sub and it blessed my life. I'd lost everything I had. When I started getting those things bk again, it truly was the most glorious feeling. Sometimes I think that there are ppl who just need help for life, and right this moment I am one of those ppl.

I'm so glad that u are now on that wonderful recovery path. When u can look at life and be excited and content, there's really no limitations. I had gave up after spending my devoted time in rehab, then followed NA's rules and steps, and still six months later relapsed because I was so miserable just living clean. I thought that was it for me. I'm so glad something better was waiting on me. U will continue to be amazed every day how much of a blessing suboxone really is. Thanks for sharing ur story!!!! Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:23 pm 

This is my first time posting! I have been trying to set up an account for a while and finally today had luck! I love your story! I am so excited to learn that there is a group on Facebook! I would live to start a support group in my area and you have really inspired me!