It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: hello-help
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

ive been on suboxone for 5 months now with good results.i have recently re injured my back and DON'T WANT ANY OTHER TYPE OF MED.ive heard that subutex helps pain better(i dont understand how it could because they are the same),anyone had any experance with this?thanks-Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Ted -

I hope you start feeling better soon! Sorry to hear about your back.

You are 100% right. Subutex is just buprenorphine without naloxone. Since bupe is the blocker and nalox is the abuse protector - switching off subox to subtex would accomplish nothing.

As long as you are on suboxone (probably 4mg or more) - you are probably getting all the pain relief either medication can give you.

There are other ways to help a hurt back - non - opiate. But - it might take some time to get help there (sorry) - they have blocks now (injections), deep ultrasound, etc. I totally understand your desire not to take any opiate for this (you'd have to wait days for it to work anyway).

Good luck and PLEASE KEEP US POSTED!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:28 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agree with lathedude. Suboxone and subutex are the same as far as pain relief goes. The subutex is just buprenorphine and the suboxone is 4 parts buprenorphine and 1 part naloxone (2/.5; 8/2 mgs). The naloxone is never active when taken under the tounge. Only the buprenorphine is absorbed, the naloxone is just passed through your body, unless you are hyper sensitive to the naloxone of course.

My chronic back (well, and left leg-foot) pain (several herniated disks) is somewhat tolerable with suboxone and I am NOT chasing that tolerance that is so hard to keep up with. I do not get to numb everything till I have NO pain, but between the suboxone and some ibuprofen or asprin/apap and correct physical habits I am managing as good as I am going to be able to without the full agoinists and with suboxone. Truthfully, with knowing what I know now, if I had my choice of meds to go on from the begining, suboxone would be it. As far as I am told from my neurologists and other doctors (not sub doc), I will most likely be taking opiates for the rest of my life (I am 26) unless they find some sort of miracle cure for my problem, and many others. I rather it be suboxone, taking into consideration where I got myself on full agonists.

I was taking all 12mg per day at once in the morning, but now I usually take 8mg in the morning and 4mg in the evening. I sometimes even take 4-4-4 mg, eight hours apart. This is to TRY to help with the chronic pain, nothing to do with addictive behavior. I know I do not need another dose at night for w/d, its just to get the most pain control possible out of suboxone I guess.

Just my couple sense, take it for what it is worth. I am no doctor or expert, just a chronic pain sufferer and an addict. Good Luck and Take Care!!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali