It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hello, Glad to be here
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:57 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm so glad to find an online community devoted to suboxone! I think it's a wonderful tool for managing opiate addiction and pain issues (I have both).

A little about myself: I'm 51 years old and have been in recovery since Jan 19, 1995. My primary drug of choice was vodka, secondary was methamphetamine. In 2000 i injured my back at work, went through the whole 9 yards with it, physical therapy, surgery, more pt, etc. A few years later the pain came back in force, and i was offered 3 options, pain managment, a pain pump, or live with it. I chose pain managment and tried every non narcotic medication and treatment available, with negligible results. So, I reluctantly made the choice to begin opiod therapy. I was at the point that if I didn't find some sort of effective treatment for the pain I was seriously planning to eat a bullet. I simply couldn't cope with the pain anymore, aside from which I was unable to function much of the time. After years of trial and error and my doc and I finally found a combination of meds and techniques that did provide substantial pain relief. I was again able to be fairly self-sufficient, and all was well for a few years.

During the trial and error period i began taking higher doses of my meds, buying them and other pain pills on the street, and all that jazz. I wasn't trying to get high, even though I did occasionally wind up that way, lol. I was trying to find relief from my pain. I had no idea how horrible chronic pain is, or how difficult it is to treat. The result was i became addicted to opiates, with all that entails. Eventually I failed a drug screen, and my doc prescribed a tapering off doseage schedule, which was impossible for me to follow. For the next 9 months or so I got my drugs on the street, then a friend who was on subutex introduced me to it. It was a revalation! I found I could manage my pain with it and be able to function fairly well. For me suboxone is the solution I've been praying for the last 10 years.

I look forward to being a part of this community, I hope I have something to add here, and I also hope to learn a lot from all of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Janiart,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us and hope you stick around and find some support here as I have. Thanks for sharing your story. So how long have you been on sub? Are you now getting it from a doctor? I, too, have chronic pain and suboxone helps make my pain manageable in addition to keeping me from going back on the pain pills.

Again welcome!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.