It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hello Gang!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone!. I have been reading and posting here for the last few days, and I must say, I learned more here than anywhere else on the web (This is one of the few places where honest people give honest answers and true stories!). Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone. I am a 45yr old male who has been addicted to opiates for over 7 years. I run 3 separate business', have a wife and 3 kids and a boatload of stress (who doesn't these days I guess?).

I have been very fortunate, as it seems whatever I do so far in life works. Successful in business, love and basically any task I choose to do always seems to work out well. I have been a board member for the American Heart Association (A local chapter, not national), volunteer for all types of charity work. I was on the ground and running 2 days after Katrina hit the Gulf coast, restoring communications links for police, fire and setting up internet access and VOIP phones for the shelters. I have built decks/ramps for free when local diabetics lose their legs and can't afford to pay regular contractors. I was in ND after the bad floods in Grand Forks rebuilding churches, homes schools and anything else that needed fixing. I have spent countless hours working for free whenever someone who is down needs help.

I tell you all of this because I am not bragging or telling you how awesome I am. I am telling you because all the while I was doing this and paying attention to everyone elses needs, I never paid attention to myself. I had neck surgery in 2000 and thats when I found that great little stress reliever, Oxycodone. It just worked wonders on me. I could work long hours, nothing would bother me stress wise and I could just keep going 24/7 as it gave me energy and kept me feeling invigorated.

Well, for any of you that have been there, I don't need to tell you the rest of the story, as you already know what happened next. I became addicted, <I>SERIOUSLY</I> addicted. It started to consume my life and my finances and I found myself devoting more and more time in locating pills. I just "Got lost" so to speak and it took many years until I finally realized I had some serious problems.

For the first time in my life, I was failing at something. I had something right in front of me that I couldn't control no matter what I did. I was not used to this, as I could ALWAYS control everything in my life. I was successful at everything I did, so surely I could fix this, right?. <B>WRONG!!!!!!!!</B>

It took me 7 years to realize I couldn't fix this issue and that I needed help. Everything was falling apart at the end, my business, my family and just my entire life.

Enter Suboxone!. I have been on it for only a day or so, but I already know I am back in control. Thank the good Lord above I stopped my issues now, because in a few more months or so, I would have lost <B>EVERYTHING</B>.

Reading what everyone has gone through here makes me very sad. While I know I have issues also, I just hate to see others suffer. I wish you all the best and good luck!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad that you feel this is a good place for accurate information. We have strived to achieve that status.

Thanks as well for sharing your story, as stories are inspiration for others to seek help and for us to relate to each other.

When I have more time, I will craft a longer reply, but its been a busy end of summer for me!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SuperDog-

Hey there! I could relate to wanting to help people and going the distance in doing so, but forgetting about ME. It is a common feature of individuals who develop substance abuse. We are trying so hard to make up for something else that is missing in our life.Rarely do we succeed before our demise.
The time has come to set aside others needs.Right now, You must be and have every right to be selfish so you can recover with the strongest determination ever. You have a long history of trying things your way, it is important to realize you need to do things differently this time.Taking Suboxone is a wonderful tool in recovery, but it is not the answer and there is much more to learn. Be sure to get involved with support from your peers and educate yourself on prescription drug addiction.