It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hello from Texas
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi. My name's Jeanetta. I've been on Suboxone for about 18 months now, following a 10 year bout with painkiller addiction. Since then, I've managed to get my life together, and have been enrolled in college for the last 2 years, and have acquired an associates degree, working on a bachelors.

To make a long story short,

I started off taking 16 mg a day. Stayed on 16 mg for about 6 months. Then tapered down to 8 mg/day (relatively and surprisingly easy, I went down 4 mg at a time, twice, at about 1 month increments)

Since then I've been slowly but surely, going down one milligram every few weeks, for the most part (I stayed on 4 mg a day for a good 3 months). I was surprised at how little problems I had tapering off. Then I got below 4 mg/day. I noticed a significant change in mood when I cut down to 3 mg/ day. Then down to 2 mg/ day (one sub lasts 4 days). After about a week or so, everything balanced out, and I honestly feel perfectly fine taking only 2 mg/ day.

Now, when I tried to go below 2 mg/ day, lets' just say it became more and more clear what life without Suboxone will be like. I have never been on a forum, never felt like I needed "support" from people going thru the same thing, or from professionals in the addicionology field.

Just fyi, my doctor stopped prescribing Sub to me because I tested positive for marijuana. yes, I smoke. I know, it's not good, but it really helps. I don't smoke alot, I smoke periodically just because it helps me to calm down, focus on my priorities, and not let stuff bother me, and get me so frustrated, just in general (I'm a full time college student taking some VERY hard classes). So I although I respect any feedback about my marijuana use, nobody knows me better than myself, and it has really helped me in bad times. I'm taking sub leftover from old prescriptions, and have no intentions on seeking Suboxone from another doctor once I run out.

What I am hoping to get is some advice on the easiest, least uncomfortable to taper completely off of Sub. I don't want to be dependent on this medication anymore, pretty much. I am also curious to know what is the lowest daily dose someone has been taking, and that has been working for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jeanetta!!!

although I dont know much about taper,,,, heres a link I think may help you

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=296

yes, its long, but well worth the read. Ive always told myself I will go down this path If ever I decide to taper.

Ive been on sub 14 months, but Im a pain patient as well.

Your story is inspiring. I dont care about the weed. Your exactly right, you know yourself better than anyone else. and what works for ONE of us, probably wont work for the next!!!! LOL

So, thats all I have, hopefully someone with more taper experience will post, if not I hope the link I gave you helps!!!
and WELCOME

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Jeanetta, and welcome!

First off, don't worry about being judged around here. I have been coming here regularly for about 3 months and have seen nothing but total support from everyone. You will hear honest opinions from people, but it is usually expressed with respect and kindness. I don't have any advice for you on the tapering as I am a new suboxone patient myself and have not gone there yet. I think I have about 2 more months before I have to deal with my first taper, I started out on 8mg once per day. But Amber posted a good link for you that you can peruse for advice from some who have done it successfully. Also the thread titled suboxone in the rearview is all about people who have quit or are quitting currently. That sounds like a good place for you to start. Just read some of the older posts. I'm sure you will find answers to what you need there.

Thanks for introducing yourself! Be seeing you around!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sounds great, and yes, thanks for not judging me. I don't even smoke to "get high" I smoke because I have mood swings (always have), have been on nearly every anti depressant out there and found that all they do is make the problem worse in the long run. Cannibas is the only drug I've found that truly levels me out, and it is all natural, so regardless of what "the public perception" is, I will choose to put natural substances in my body that seem to help before synthetic chemicals thrown together in a pharmaceutical lab just because the multi billion dollar a year industry says it is "the right thing to do". We all know they care about one thing and one thing only, and that is $$$, not what is best for patients.

Suboxone, on the other hand, is a drug I must say that I am very impressed with. For anyone struggling with opiate addiction, who are truly looking for a way out, and are willing to let go of that part of their life and take the next step, I'd say Suboxone is truly a "wonder drug". About the taper, I don't think it'll be so bad, it'll be the months following that will be the tough part.