It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: hello from Poland
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First, excuse me for my English.
I'm living in Poland (before in Switzerland, but my German is even worse than English, after so many years of not speaking it at all)
So please forgive me, for making errors.
We have here very little patients on suboxone (in my clinic I'm the third person, and the only one that stays clean), so I have no one to ask, also the doctors here know nothing.
(as I asked, if I should keep the solution longer in my mouth they said there is no purpose for that)
I can't go to NA meetings, because there is a real risk that they wouldn't allow me to talk, as I'm on suboxone
(I went there for many years, but always without any substitution, and I know the crazy people there, and what they always said about being on methadone, and not allowing to participate them)
Anyway, I go to A.A. meetings, in Warsaw/Poland A.A. is a bigger and more dynamic fellowship although I never talk about my substitution.
That's of course because the last 30 years, substitution here in Poland was only for very old, sick, addicts, so there was never a need to ask, check (the traditions, or the international NA/AA statement for this kind of situation) Now it's almost the same situation, as I know, in Warsaw there are maybe 500/700 people in the clinics, and as I know no one goes to meetings.
Maybe, when I get better (more confident), I will try to change that stupid attitude, but I'm not strong enough to fight right now, so I'm lying/not saying the truth, which I really hate to do.
So
I feel really lonely here, being the (maybe) only person that wants really change her life, from the inside too, in order to drop the whole chemical prosthesis, in year, or two,three (as long as it takes, but then again not to long)
That's why I'm here, on this forum (or at this forum?- if you like, please feel free to correct my errors,)

Hello everyone

ps
I'm 30, mother to a perfect young man (almost 5),
divorcing an active heroin addict(not living with him almost 3 years, in Poland it takes pretty long to get a divorce)
working (some boring stuff),
studying clinical psychology (second year- first time in my life I managed to passe the first year of the university)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Your English is very good. I totally understand you and sympathize. I wouldn't change a thing, please continue to speak from the heart as to your situation. If you follow your doctor you are not a junkie. It sounds like your clinic is a lot like mine. I think recovery is how you feel inside and the rest is between you and your doctor. I worry about the same things you do. I am a lot better than I was living in the desert and shooting heroin. I don't know for sure. I, like you still struggle with these issues. Substance abuse is bad because it takes away peoples freedom and their humanity. How do we take control of our lives? Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Nano,

Welcome to the site-- I hope you stick around and bring some more of Europe along with you. As for feeling like the only one who wants to truly change, I hope as you meet others you come to realize what this site is about. I have been dealing with opiate dependence for 16 years, and have lost a great deal to the disease. I work in a residential treatment center that uses complete sobriety, and have been a rabid member of AA for years at a time. The problem is that I have come to believe that we need something else for opiate dependence. The relapse rate after step-based treatment is very high, and bad things happen during those relapses, including deaths of young people.

I'll be clear-- If a person finds a way to stay clean off Suboxone, the person shouldn't be taking Suboxone. But for those who have suffered repeated relapse (which is most opiate addicts), this site is to make it clear that there is no shame in taking Suboxone. I receive occasional messages from people who read and wrote on 'subsux', a collection of people who stay clean for a year and consider themselves experts on staying clean... in the messages I receive I read about people feeling 'sheepish' for the 'know-it-all' attitudes they had at that site and similar forums, after relapsing back to opiates. I got tired of those sites-- they don't get addiction, and they speak to the 'addict' inside, that says 'you can handle it'...

We welcome all opinions here-- we just don't like the attitude that someone's approach is good and another is bad. If you want to taper, you will find help and support here. If you want to stay on bupe, that is fine too. And if it takes methadone to keep you alive-- more power to you.

Thanks for checking in!
JJ

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]nanonymous-

Hello from the US. I actually have family in KÅ‘szeg, Hungary. My father left there as a teen and came to America to stay.I hope to visit Europe soon, as I now have a brother in law living in Germany while being in the Marines.
Anyhow, It is truly amazing to know AA reaches so far around the world. I live near the city where AA was first created by Bill W. and friends. While I have a great respect for AA and NA, I feel Suboxone and Methadone users need their own support groups and I am currently going to school to become a licensed addiction counselor to help make that a reality.
Please continue to come here for support. You have friends and support here, we all need each other to make it and if this is the only way to communicate for now- it is better than nothing.I am very grateful for the internet!!
[/font]

[fade]Talk to you soon!
Take Care