It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm very happy to find this board! I've been a member at another well known opiate forum for about 11 years now, and we've switched to more of a Harm Reduction attitude there, it's always nice to have other options like this. I'll try to keep my story short, then hit the boards with a question i have.

When I was 17 i was crushed by a piece of heavy equipment - this was about 1982 - they did x-rays and amazingly found no broken bones. Unfortunately MRI was not available or widely used, or they may have seen more internal soft tissue damage. Anyway, I lost a lost of skin on my back in the accident, so i was treated more like a burn patient - wrapped from waist to neck to wrists in burn pads, gauze and netting - and going in every 2 days getting a shot of dilaudid and having my dressing changed and raw skin scrubbed - yes, it hurt even with the dilauded (or morphine or Demerol or whatever - it was heavy duty though). I also had a take home script for Tylox, which is like Percodan - 10mg Oxy with some variable of APAP. My treatment lasted a little over a month, and i was released without a taper, and, of course, got sick as a dog. I was naive and just thought i have some crazy flu and my muscles were restless from being in bed for so long.

Well, a few years after my accident, i was working when it felt like a lightning bolt hit my back - put me to my knees. The doc said it was spasms and prescribed Hydro/APAP with a muscle relaxer and sent me on my way. This pattern continued until I found out I could make my own pain reliever using certain dried plants and reconstituting them into a tea, which worked very well for my pain and took out the middle man (Doctor). Besides, the Hydro/APAP wasn't really helping anymore.

So, We ended up with a child on the way, and my wife at the time wanted me to stop using my self medication method because of possible legal problems. Several attempts at going cold turkey failed - (Wow, talk about misery!) and I thought i was destined for the methadone clinic when I read abut a new med called Suboxone that could be prescribed by certain doctors and filled at the pharmacy.

So, here I am. I use the Suboxone as a "kill two birds with one stone" med. After 27 years of being on an opiate of some type, my brain seems like it just can't function without them, so the Sub fills the need there. I also have chronic pain from my accident - lower back is blown out, narrowing of the nerve canal, bone spurs with nerve impediment, degeneration, arthritis. Then I also have soft tissue damage which causes the muscle spasms in my middle back (Feels like a lightning bolt or maybe a taser) and also some, undiagnosed shoulder pain. So, along with a myriad of painful injections, the Suboxone helps take the edge off my pain as well.

I guess that's about it- see you on the boards

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello J and welcome. I'm glad you found us and hope you enjoy being here and that you'll post often. Like you, Suboxone helps not only by putting me into addiction remission, but also by making my pain tolerable (mostly). I'm so glad to hear it's worked well for you in both capacities as well. Again welcome and I look forward to getting to know you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.