It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hello from Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,

I just registered here and wanted to post a quick introduction. I am a 24 year-old male from Canada and have been on methadone for almost 2 years now (over 1 year at a stable dose). I know this forum is the "Suboxone" Talk Zone, but I support all methods of medication-assisted treatment. This forum is a great resource and I am excited to be a part of the community here.

-somniferum

Methadone Clinic Directory (U.S. and Canada)

Post subject: Re: Hello from Canada
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:40 pm 

Welcome here! There are a few here on methadone so you're not alone. They just don't post much.

Sorry no one replied so far. We do have a lot of posts and members so some get lost or just aren't seen.

We welcome your knowledge of methadone. Hope you stick around.

rule

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just saw this thread.. Welcome! I had a couple of years on methadone and then ultimately switched to suboxone, but both helped me get to where I am now. Hope to hear more from you!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replies, it's no problem.

I am planning to go live abroad for a year in the future but I don't have any plans of getting off maintenance treatment any time soon. I might switch to buprenorphine if I do end up going as I think it would be less of a hassle, so I wanted to start investigating and reading about Suboxone some more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I too am from Canada and am new to this site. I was on Methadone for some time, but went off of it for personal reasons. And, the weight gain and sugar cravings I experienced on Methadone were insane. So, I am happy to no longer be on it.

However, I am day 17 of Suboxone and cannot praise it highly enough. It has killed any opiate cravings (my daughter has a huge bottle of T4 for post-operative surgery and they might as well be blood pressure pills - I have no desire to touch them). I had been prescribed Methadone (per my request) for pain prior to going on Suboxone. But, I was terrified of developing a dependency upon it, so I did not take it regularly. But, I did take 20 mg of Methadone the DAY BEFORE commencing Suboxone, and was fine. My COWS score was 15, so the doctor said it was a bit of a gamble - I might be worse before I felt better. However, the Suboxone took me right out of withdrawal, and I experienced no precipitated withdrawal whatsoever.

Most importantly, I have noticed that my lifestyle habits have improved on Suboxone. My sleeping schedule is far more normal, although I do experience some tiredness. I spoke with the pharmacist about this when I dosed today, and he indicated that it sounds like I need an increase in dose. As I am currently on 16 mg, I do not want to increase, so I suggested that we just give it time for my body to adjust. The pharmacist assured me it would. That being said, I do not have a great deal of faith in a lot of medical professionals and their knowledge, or lack thereof, of Suboxone.

Like you, I am moving abroad. If you do switch to Suboxone, let me give you some advice - find a Suboxone doctor ASAP who is located where you are moving. Make contact and let them know your situation. I have been fortunate to have found a Suboxone doctor, who specializes in pain management and is located where I am moving, and it has taken an abundance of stress off of me.

Whichever route you choose, good luck! As long as you aren't abusing your DOC, you are succeeding, and you deserve to congratulate yourself on this. There is no on and off switch for opiate addiction, and staying away from opiates is a battle. I know there will be a day when I long for that opiated feeling, but feel relief in knowing that the buprenorphine binds so tightly to the opiate receptors that using would be a waste of meds.

Keep posting, and let people know how you are doing. It's amazing, but people actually do care.

Sincerely,
SFF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for the kind words, SFF!

I'm surprised you were fine after taking methadone the day before starting Suboxone. Lucky break! But that's great that the Suboxone is working out so well for you. I also experienced the weight gain and cravings sweets/desserts all the time. For all of my life I had been slightly underweight and was never able to gain weight no matter what I ate. Then when I started methadone I gained over 50 pounds in a year (almost half my body weight before I started methadone!).

My weight kept going up though and I didn't know if it would ever stop rising, so a couple months ago I decided to do something about it. I started counting my calories and not going over a certain amount each day and have so far lost over 20 pounds. I'm happy with my progress and I still get to eat my PopTarts, so everything is good. =)

I definitely plan to find a doctor/clinic where I'm moving and make contact ahead of time. I think that the only way I would feel comfortable going is if I knew for sure I would have somewhere to go for treatment when I got there.

Thanks again for the kind words and advice.