It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Glad you all are here, thank you!

I had a 2 part massive/dangerous spine surgery 4 years ago for Scoliosis. Today, I take 300 mg of MS Contin, 30 mg of valium, 300 mg of Lyrica and 300 mg of Wellbutrin.

Pain Mgmt doc says we are not progressing in my reducing meds. Says the meds I'm on are actually causing pain....a rebound effect of taking pain meds. (I believe that part).

He wants me to check into a regular rehab unit for at least 20 days and go into withdrawal, then use Suboxone to detox my system. Says I'll be all better after that.

I am crooked (tilt 30 degrees to the right, and slightly bent forward) and have pain in my back, pelvis, can't stand for more than 5 mins and can't walk far. It seems strange that I won't have any pain after this very uncomfortable detox process.

Plus...I'm just a little over-proud I guess and don't want to be in a rehab hospital and have drug counsellors beating me down and telling me how much I need to work 12 steps.

I'm dependent on prescription RX because of my surgery. I can't get high and don't want to be high. The only benefit is I sleep good! The rest sucks....memory loss, lack of motivation....I just feel like i'm not myself anymore at all.

I'm researching suboxone and it seems like I'm trading one for the other. I know I will suffer at first, then the sub kicks in and I guess I feel better but what about after?

What will I feel like in a week? A month? Will I have restless leg syndrome again? No sleep again? Pain? I'm already crippled and mis-shapen, what if I DO still have pain. Will I be anxious all the time?

I'm just terrified and tired and sick of crying. Anyone who can tell me what to REALLY expect, I would love them forever, LOL. :cry:

Post subject: Long Term ........
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TeeGee......

Welcome to the forum. I think alot of us found that we felt the way you do.........is this really going to help me. If you truly do not want to be high and not suffer from cravings and feel normal then this could work for you. The only thing I would ask your doctor is how long can you be on sub. I have be on sub for over 3 1/2 years. Some people know that they will be on it for the rest of their lives and this is agreeable with the doctor.

Some rehabs will detox you then put you on suboxone for 7 to 10 days then taper you off and you leave rehab medicine free. It sounds with your situation you need to find out once you detox......and it will not take 20 days .....5 max and then you start sub. By the time you get out of a rehab then you would stay on suboxone until you feel you do not need it anymore.

Is your doctor alllowed to prescribe suboxone? If so you could wait till you are in withdrawl and then he could induct you in his office. No rehab and you can do this in the privacy of your home. If he is not I would look into that option. Most of us on this site have done the exact thing we found a doctor that can prescribe suboxone and went that route. Do some research and see where a suboxone doctor is around you. It is way cheaper than rehab and yes you may have a couple of uncomfortable days ...........but those days would be at home not rehab. Talk to your doctor about this. Once you find the dose that works best for you then you will feel so much better. I promise you after you adjust and get to your right dose you never will be interested in taking pain medication. I could not drive by an urgent care or hospital without stopping to try to get something for my pain.

Not all are believers but in your situation I just don't think you need to go to rehab when you could get your own sub doctor and within a matter of days once you get an appointment you could be off oxy and on sub. Just know that most sub doctor's do not take insurance - cash only......anywhere from $80 tp $250 a vist. To me it is worth it because I spent way more on the street to get my painkillers. Good Luck and others will be by to share their opinions. Thanks.

Jim

Post subject: Thanks Jim,
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much Jim. I will ask him. I know before I moved from my native California, my pain doc was also an anesthesiologist so he could do just that.

I have an appt. with him (new doc where I live now) next week so I'll ask and hope I can do this at home. For many reasons I suspect he will want me in "the program" as he calls it, he says he visits his patients there every day so I suspect home may be out of the question. Wish me luck.

I am curious if I will have pain at all. Perhaps the pain I have now is this "rebound" pain from years on meds. I would definitely miss my valium cos it helps with RLS and helps me sleep but there's always a trade off, maybe the sub will help initially.

I hope taking sub would be short term but we'll see. I hate not knowing - that is the worst part! The last time I went into withdrawals - a family member stole all my meds and I crawled up into a little ball for 2 days, had uncontrollable shits and vomiting and lost 13 pounds in one week. I had to be dragged into the shower to be cleaned up - couldn't even walk. My family told me all I did was stare; I couldn't even say who the President was. I do NOT want that again! This was right after surgery and I was taking a lot of dilaudid.

I hope this will be different - I remember that well and am terrified of being so out of control around strangers until I'm into withdrawals enough for them to treat me.

Again, thanks. I have learned so much from just reading here. I appreciate all of you!! :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

TeeGee,

I think its hard to predict how you will feel. I started on sub for addiction not pain control so i really have no experience with chronic pain. I think it would be worth it for you to do this though. Sub should definately stop your withdrawl symptoms. You should feel normal, not sleepy or foggy. I was using morphine and dilaudid and my induction to sub was super easy.

It also may help pain. Some members on here take it for chronic pain and they say it works. So i would do it! I would do exactly what your pain doctor wants though, even if you have to go to rehab or AA. Then if sub does not work for you for some odd reason, you can go back to pain doc and said you tried.

Rehab/AA is not the end of the world if you have an open mind. If you have to go just learn what you can. Take what applies to you and leave the rest. I know this is easier said than done.

Good luck and keep asking questions as they come up. Let us know what happens!