It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hello Everyone
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Nice place you guys have here, glad I found it. I specifically signed up after I came across a topic that I think is essential to anyone who is on Suboxone Therapy; Hospitals/ERs not knowing what Suboxone is!!!.

After 10+ years of this medication being used there are still some in the medical area that have no idea what it is or what it is used for. This almost cost me my life! If you would like to check the topic out it is in the 'Misc. Suboxone Issues' sub forum. My experience is on the 2nd page.

Now a little about me. I have been addicted to opiates for over 16 years. I first started taking them when I was a teenager and was hooked in no time. My D.O.C. was Hydrocodone and when that was not available I would resort to Heroin. I live in an area where it is everywhere and it has been a battle to stay away from it. I have been on Suboxone 2 times and in a Methadone clinic twice, the first time I successfully tapered off of Suboxone over the course of about 1.5 years. I then remained opiate free for about a year and relapsed.

I take 12mg daily and have tapered some from a starting dose of 24mg. I feel that as of now I will be on Suboxone for the rest of my life or very, very long term and I am fine with that. If and when I feel it is time I will fully taper.

That is about it, I am glad to have found this site and if I can help anyone in anyway let me know. I also urge everyone who takes Suboxone to get and have on your person at all times an emergency card or bracelet explaining you are on Sub. and what it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome hpchris!
I read your story on the other thread - thanks for sharing it. I'm glad you brought up how important it is to have identification and or a medic-alert bracelet.

I've been on suboxone for over a year and like you will also be on it very long term.

Again, welcome, and I'm confident you will find this place full of supportive and empathetic people.

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome hpchris, and well done for getting clean again. I'm sure you will make it just fine, since you already know what sub is like. This is a great site, lots of info on the forums and real nice people too. Thanks also for the heads up on the medical ignorance., I have been a victim of this, although not in life threatening circumstances. It's certainly something to be aware of.
Nice to meet you mate,
Sneaky

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome! First I am glad you made it through the ER experience and second I am glad you found the forum. I think this is an awesome place and it has been life changing for me. It has helped me to grow tremendously and I am not sure what I would have done without it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your story definitely educated me that I need to get a card that states that I take Suboxone....I kinda like the sticker on Driver's License but not sure about that or not but I do know I never want to be in your situation. I am so glad you made it to share that story. Today at the pharmacy the tech said to me as she was putting my sub script in the computer- "what is this stuff used for...we are constantly running out of it" I just looked at her and told her to look it up........and walked away. There was no doubt she knew what it was because she asked for my DL and wrote my info on th script before asking the question. If that was her thrill of the day to try and embarass me all I can say is that is pretty sad......Again thanks for sharing your story.......

Post subject: welcome welcome!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:49 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

thanks for posting and congratulations on how far you have come! This is my 2nd time on subutex and will certainly be on it long term, and feel great about it. This is a wonderful forum with people who know what they are talking about and have valuable insight and experiences to contribute! Welcome and hope to hear more from you soon!

MW

Post subject: Welcome!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:37 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi hpchris,
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for sharing your HORROR Story so maybe others will not have the same problem... Its hard to believe that in 2010 we could have such a problem with the lack of information???? I am NO Dr. But, with a computer and an Internet connection I could find out about a Drug and any side effects it might have in about 5 minutes ? It's hard to believe that a Dr. in an Emergency Room setting does not have ALL this info at His or Her fingertips!! I guess it goes to show that we still have alot of work to do educating people about this Miracle Drug.. Oh well I'm glad your OK.... I am also a canidate for Long Term Suboxone therapy and have no problem with that!!!! I have been on it ( 16mgs. / day ) for a little over a year now and feel better than I have in about 20 yeras!!!! Again thanks for sharing and please keep us posted on your progress... Best of luck on your continued success.. :D

God Bless
TW

Post subject: Re: Welcome!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

TWINPLY wrote:
Hi hpchris,
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for sharing your HORROR Story so maybe others will not have the same problem... Its hard to believe that in 2010 we could have such a problem with the lack of information???? I am NO Dr. But, with a computer and an Internet connection I could find out about a Drug and any side effects it might have in about 5 minutes ? It's hard to believe that a Dr. in an Emergency Room setting does not have ALL this info at His or Her fingertips!! I guess it goes to show that we still have alot of work to do educating people about this Miracle Drug.. Oh well I'm glad your OK.... I am also a canidate for Long Term Suboxone therapy and have no problem with that!!!! I have been on it ( 16mgs. / day ) for a little over a year now and feel better than I have in about 20 yeras!!!! Again thanks for sharing and please keep us posted on your progress... Best of luck on your continued success.. :D

God Bless
TW

I agree. They should have at the least did a quick Google search or something. But this was in a very, very rural area so maybe they didn't have internet, who knows.... Needless to say an attorney will be educating them. I would not bother with something like that but I have slight brain damage from this incident. I no longer have short term memory for the most part....3 days on life support tends to do that to some..

Anyhow thank you guys for the warm welcome. I look forward to helping any way I can.