It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just wanted to say hello. I have been on suboxone for almost 4 years now. A very low dose though. I started at taking 8 mg. a day and then about a year into it I went down to 4mg a day. I take 2 mg in the morning and 2 at night. I just get buprenorphine though not subs. I used to get subs but that is when I was using my insurance. My parents got really upset that I was on subs and they told me that I couldn't use the insurance anymore for it so I started just paying out of pocket so my doctor gave me the cheapest alternative. I have great doctors and nurses I love them. Before I started taking buprenorphine I was doing roxies and oxy's on and off for a couple years (my ex was a drug dealer). I broke up with him and then stopped taking them. Then I met a new guy who also started selling drugs (after I was dating him) I know I know....bad choices, lets talk about it! lol. But when I started dating him I started doing the pills WAY too much and every single day. That is when I knew it was an addiction and a big problem. I did them all day everyday over the period of 2 and a half years. My dad actually was visiting me where I live one day and he forgot something in the car as he was leaving. He walked back up stairs to give me what he left in the car and low and behold there was an officer there at my apartment AT THE SAME EXACT TIME my dad walked up, and he was serving me eviction papers. Yep, I had spend all my rent money on pills you guessed it. So basically, my dad saw it and was like what is that....I just started crying and I told him everything. That was about 4 years ago now. I have been clean since then (from everything except bupe) I dont drink/smoke/do drugs besides that. I am trying to one day stop all together but I am afraid. I am dependent on that now. Thank you for allowing me to come and share my story. I seriously think suboxone saved my life I dont know where I would be today. I am in grad school now and I work full time and I am on a good path so I am very grateful I am not where I was 4 years ago :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Sunshine,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Suboxone has helped many, many of us to get a grip on our opiate addiction and turn our lives around. Suboxone didn't do all the work for me, but it sure was a huge leg up and I know I wouldn't be where I am today without it.

You mentioned that you're interested in stopping Suboxone one day. Do you mind if I ask if you've worked with an addiction counselor or anything of that nature? Once off Suboxone, your cravings may return and you're going to need to know how to deal with them. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just trying to give you some info so you're successful if you do decide to quit Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Romeo wrote:
Hey Sunshine,

You mentioned that you're interested in stopping Suboxone one day. Do you mind if I ask if you've worked with an addiction counselor or anything of that nature? Once off Suboxone, your cravings may return and you're going to need to know how to deal with them. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just trying to give you some info so you're successful if you do decide to quit Suboxone.

thank you for welcoming me :)
Yes, I am planning on working with a counselor. I am actually in my grad program now training to become an addictions counselor (irony I know)....but yes, I definitely understand the implications of coming off the pills and the need for a counselor once I decide to do so :) I am not planning on stopping soon..I just want to one day in the future...like maybe when I am done with school and have kids and a family and I know I am ready to go to counseling for a while.....

Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, littlemisssunshine!

Wow, you and I have SO much in common it's not even funny...I have also been on bupe for 4 years and I am currently in grad school as well AND work full time.

Isn't it amazing how we went from one lifestyle to another?! I am so proud of you for your accomplishments in life, and also glad to find someone in a very similar situation as I. I'm really sorry your parents aren't supportive of taking this medication. Especially now that they've seen how well you are doing on it!

Just out of curiosity, what is your doctor like? Mine is super cool and writes me 2 months worth of refills at a time. But starting today (yes..today...duh duh duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!) he is making me see a counselor for the first time. Does your require counseling/meetings of any kind?

Look forward to hearing more from you!

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also, I forgot to mention, I totally understand how you feel about being afraid to get off the buprenorphine. I want to stop in the future, as well, so that i can have children without worrying they might be born with a dependency. But it is SCARY AS HELL to even fathom that thought. I depend on it, as well. I am here for you..we can help support eachother! :)