It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:29 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Arial] [/font] Hello, I'm so glad I found this forum. So many questions have been answered already. I went into treatment for the very first time today. This has been a dark cloud over my head for years that I never told anyone about. I've tried to detox at home countless times and can never seem to succeed. I decided I need help and I can't do this on my own or live like this any longer. My D.O.C is norco 10mg and at my worst was taking 40 a day. In my session today I was told that I could try the Subs for detox and do a quick taper and only be on it for three weeks. I was reading lots of posts, on here and other sites, about people being on them a lot longer. Does this seem normal? I will be very grateful if it works because I don't want to trade one drug for another and just fight a bigger battle in the end. Anyway, any comments would be appreciated. I'm sure you all understand what a tough time this is and thank you for the comforting posts I have read so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:59 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

crystal2012 wrote:
[font=Arial] [/font] Hello, I'm so glad I found this forum. So many questions have been answered already. I went into treatment for the very first time today. This has been a dark cloud over my head for years that I never told anyone about. I've tried to detox at home countless times and can never seem to succeed. I decided I need help and I can't do this on my own or live like this any longer. My D.O.C is norco 10mg and at my worst was taking 40 a day. In my session today I was told that I could try the Subs for detox and do a quick taper and only be on it for three weeks. I was reading lots of posts, on here and other sites, about people being on them a lot longer. Does this seem normal? I will be very grateful if it works because I don't want to trade one drug for another and just fight a bigger battle in the end. Anyway, any comments would be appreciated. I'm sure you all understand what a tough time this is and thank you for the comforting posts I have read so far.

Hi crystal2012 and welcome to the forum. I am really glad you have decided to get treatment...norco's were also my doc...
I have been on subs for 8 mos..now with no plans to get off anytime soon. I am on 12 mg. a day and I take subutex, the generic which is a lot cheaper. I have never felt like I was trading one drug for another. I realize sub is a drug..but it has saved my life from the hell of addiction. When I took Norco's I just wanted more norcos. I COULD NEVER GET ENOUGH!! maybe you can relate to this. The sub does not make me want more sub...it has taken away all my cravings for norco and given me back my life...I no longer have to do the awful things I did to get the drug I needed.

I feel as if i were to taper off subs right now it would only be a matter of time before I would be right back out there in addiction...but that's just me. Many people do fast tapers to detox off their doc and it works fine for them. I just know with the amount I took (norcos) and the length of time I was addicted (29) years..I just needed more help than that.

Anyway that's just my 2cents. I wish you all the luck in whatever you choose to do. .........Judy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi crystal2012 and welcome to the forum. I am really glad you have decided to get treatment...norco's were also my doc...
I have been on subs for 8 mos..now with no plans to get off anytime soon. I am on 12 mg. a day and I take subutex, the generic which is a lot cheaper. I have never felt like I was trading one drug for another. I realize sub is a drug..but it has saved my life from the hell of addiction. When I took Norco's I just wanted more norcos. I COULD NEVER GET ENOUGH!! maybe you can relate to this. The sub does not make me want more sub...it has taken away all my cravings for norco and given me back my life...I no longer have to do the awful things I did to get the drug I needed.

I feel as if i were to taper off subs right now it would only be a matter of time before I would be right back out there in addiction...but that's just me. Many people do fast tapers to detox off their doc and it works fine for them. I just know with the amount I took (norcos) and the length of time I was addicted (29) years..I just needed more help than that.

Anyway that's just my 2cents. I wish you all the luck in whatever you choose to do. .........Judy
[/quote]

Thanks so much Judy! My addicted brain is sitting here thinking I'm never going to get off the Sub because I can't get off the Norco. I feel so defeated and broken down because I couldn't kick this. I completely understand what you are saying about never having enough pills. I was buying pills everyday and I still never had enough. Never enough pills and never enough money. Horrible cycle. It's really good to hear you are doing so well and that the Subs are working. I don't even remember what it feels like to wake up and feel good in the morning. I think my mind is made up and I'm going to go on it. Thanks again for the post.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I too am glad you sought help! First of all, don't get ahead of yourself, sit back and take a big sigh of relief that the nightmare is over. You should be so proud of yourself. The old saying, one day at a time. Sub is a tool for withdrawal, using cycle, and to put your life back together. Over time, you will feel stronger and then you can make a taper plan. Congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, GOOD JOB on deciding to change your life..........

It wont all be peaches and cream, but It will be worth it!!!!

and suboxone makes it a hell of alot easier. whether you decide short term or long term, its all your decision. For me, I have pain issues too, so Id rather be on sub than anything else. and I too, havent ever felt like I traded one drug for another. I actually FORGET to take my suboxone sometimes. becuase I dont think of it as a drug I guess. I dont 'feel' anything like when I used to take all the other crap.....I just feel like 'me'
which at first, was wierd.....but now it feels great..

I really wish you the best of luck...........your in the right place for support, thers alota great people here!!

thanks for sharing, and agian,,,,, great job

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:01 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Be sure and let us know how you are doing. Did you get on the sub? How are you feeling now?
We are all interested in your progress...you can tell us anything and we have been there ..done that! If you are not doing well let us know that also...we are here to help and interested in your progress.

Later...

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I too was a habitual pill-eater. I moved up from a now-and-then lortab to 15 or 20 per day lortab...and on up to snorting Oxycontin 80mg, 2 or 3 of those per day..before I finally got tired and wanted a way out.
LUCKILY, I found suboxone and got out when I did...I don't think I'd still be here, alive and breathing, if I hadn't gotten out of the pill chase when I did. Suboxone literally saved me from ...who knows. But I was desperate to get out!

Far as my time on Suboxone, I've been on the med solid for 2 years...but taking it for 3 years. The first year, I really wasn't serious. Well, not quite a year. Probably the first 5 months...I only played around with sobriety and figured I could handle it that way....WRONG! I went full-blown suboxone only, and quit playing around..and have been VERY happy since. I too have issues with arthritis and joint pain, and some dental issues that cause me agony now and then...so I'm happy using Suboxone from here onward to deal with the plague that arthritis is, since I have it in my left knee from an injury that I didn't have fixed and let the arthritis build up before I went and had surgery. I did this back before my pill-chasing days..or I would've been in and out of doctors getting pills...but back then, I didn't want to have surgery and kept working on a printing press as long as my knee would let me...until it was too agonizing, and by then, arthritis had already built up so badly that there was nothing they could do for it...so here I am...with the problems in my knee that are always causing me pain..and I'm 33 years old..

I realize when a doctor looks at me and says "you're only 33, there's no need for you to be on some medicine like Suboxone the rest of your life"....that is essentially telling me to wait until I get hooked on painkillers again and come back to this same drug. I KNOW, as time goes on, that I'll be in constant pain with this knee until I opt to have replacement surgery..if I EVER opt for that, so I'm happy and content staying where I am with my Suboxone use. I feel normal, and the pain isn't unbearable. It's very manageable with Suboxone...so I am comfortable with my life and enjoy life without hurting all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I guess the first thing I would be finding out is will this doc allow you to make up your own mind about the length of time you choose to be on subs. There are some docs out there that do only short/taper detoxes. If so I while I was doing this 3 week taper I would be on the phone calling around for a stand by doc just in case you feel you need the sub treatment longer. That is called Opiate Replacement Therapy and ORT is when you choose to not to taper/detox off norcos but replace the norcos with a much more effective drug that will allow you to not have to withdraw, but also not put you in harm’s way of relapsing and eating 40 norcos again anytime soon. It is documented all over the recovery communities, forums, providers etc...that there is more long term success in replacement therapy, allowing you time to be on a drug that you will not abuse because you will not feel the need to abuse it, allowing you time to address some issues of why you use drugs in the first place etc... There is a wonderful article on Jana burson's site called "To Taper or not to Taper" which might help you sort through which might be best for you. Taper/detoxes are beneficial for one thing....and that is to get you from point A using, to point B being clean with the least amount of withdrawals as possible. That's it, nothing more end of story. Some people that’s all they need although I must say very few from what I research have long term success. Usually after the fear of withdrawals subsides (which is not a big fear because you didn't cold turkey it that brings real fear of withdrawals and you get a mindset well I can do suboxone if I get bad off again.) the person begins using a little here and there to what’s called the progression of the disease of addiction meaning the you get right back on it in no time using even more or going to more potent drugs etc... It is a cycle that beats the hell out of you when you are fifty years old, like me, I should have just stayed on ORT and took a limited amount of a drug that totally kept me from slipping downhill losing everything not once not twice but many times. I myself am not a great suboxone candidate but wish I were. But I still am doing what’s best because I am on methadone at least. I may be on it the rest of my life because I don't know if I will ever lose the fear of relapsing ever again 30 years of hell and that's starting with norcos and ending with heroin and fentanyl and opanas. I am by no means saying 40 norcos is not a problem that is a big problem double problem because of all the ibuprophen on top of the opiates. The first time I went to detox was for xanax abuse but the second time was for 25 to 40 lortab/percocet abuse. The doc was astounded because of what’s in the lortabs/norcos being as bad if not worse. The way I look at it...and in my opinion....why flirt with recovery in detoxes/tapers when there is something out here for us to take giving us withdrawal relief and....time to mend/heal. With ORT you go from being addicted to being dependant, but in time you too can come off that when and if issues are addressed and healing takes effect to why and how to be substance free sinks in. That’s just me saying all this. A 30 year opiate abuser with my biggest regret being I did not find suboxone/methadone sooner.

Here are two very educational articles on this very subject.

http://janaburson.wordpress.com/2012/01 ... d-relapse/

The below link says methadone but when you get to the article it has inserted by every mention of methadone the word
buprenorphine. So its talking about both.

http://janaburson.wordpress.com/2011/12 ... -question/