It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone-I stumbled across this community thanks to SuboxDoc's youtube page and his great videos. I am 23 years old and have been struggling with opiate addiction on and off for 3 1/2 years now. When I say on an off, I mean staying clean for maybe a month tops. I called a doctor's office today and was given a run down on the office visit prices, etc. They told me I would be in the office for three hours for the initial visit/induction. I have a few questions that maybe some of you can help me with.

-For the initial visit, does the Dr. do any tests? The receptionist mentioned something about testing to see if I had used opiates within the past 24 hours, but outside of that are their typically any tests?
-Is the initial visit/induction normally 3 hours long?
-Are you given your first dose at the office?
-A friend of mine gave me 2 suboxone to help me for when I run out of my pain medicine. Should I tell the Dr that I have taken it by myself? Do they do any tests to see if you already have buprenorphine in your system?

I'm sorry if it seems as if I am bombarding you all with questions-I've been seriously considering going on suboxone to help maintain a better lifestyle and make the positive changes I'm ready to put forward. If there is another area I should be looking for these answers, I apologize and maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks to all, and I feel so happy to have found a community like this.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Bob and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us. You didn't ask too many questions. In fact they are excellent questions. I'll try to take them one by one.

-For the initial visit, does the Dr. do any tests? The receptionist mentioned something about testing to see if I had used opiates within the past 24 hours, but outside of that are their typically any tests? They will probably do a UA to see what opiates or other drugs are in your system.

-Is the initial visit/induction normally 3 hours long? If the doctor is going to give you the first dose or two at the office - and from the length of the appt I would say s/he is going to, then, no, it's not unusual.

-Are you given your first dose at the office? Not everyone is, but it sounds like you will be.

-A friend of mine gave me 2 suboxone to help me for when I run out of my pain medicine. Should I tell the Dr that I have taken it by myself? Do they do any tests to see if you already have buprenorphine in your system? You need to be in mild to moderate withdrawal when you start suboxone/bupe. The doctor is the best person to determine if you are in enough withdrawal to avoid going into precipitated withdrawal by taking the sub/bupe too soon - you do NOT want that to happen. So if I were you, I would avoid taking any sub at home if you can. I would allow the doctor to do her/his job and induce you properly at her/his office.

Did your doctor tell you when to take your last opiate and approximately how long to be in withdrawal or bad your withdrawals should be before your appointment? Being in the proper "stage" of withdrawal is the most important thing before inducing.

I think you're smart to go with suboxone. I believe it will help you to start a new, more positive lifestyle. I know it did that for me - and more. You'll be amazed at how quickly it will make you feel "normal". That's how the majority of us have described feeling almost right away following induction.

Again, welcome, and good luck at your induction. If you have more questions, just feel free to ask away!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hat,

Thank you so much for the answers! It is beyond appreciated. I decided before making my final decision to get a good nights sleep and I've come to the conclusion that suboxone is the best way to go. I'm going to call the doctor Monday morning and make an appointment for Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm thinking Wednesday would be best as I'd rather not go through withdrawals on Sunday.

I'm a little nervous about all of this, but I think this is the best possible route for me to take. Do most people feel normal right after taking their first dose?

Thanks again.
Bob

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For inductions, doctors do them a bit differently. But usually they'll give you an initial dose of say 4 mg and wait maybe 40 min or an hour (again, depends on the doctor) to see what the state of your withdrawals are and then give you a bit more. This is why you will spend up to 3 hours there. And yes, after you get the right dose in you, most people say they feel "normal". When you make the appointment (did they say they could get you in that soon?), why not ask what to expect at the induction? It will relieve some of the stress if you know what's coming. Again, ask more questions if you have them. I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.