It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just wanted to introduce myself . I am a 48 y.o. guy from sunny south florida and have started suboxone today . This is totally new for me so here we go . I have been struggling with addiction to roxys 30's for about 2 years and my dosage was up to 4 or five a day . I realized that I had to stop so I tried weaning myself down but could only get to 2-3 pills a day with an occasional binge here and there . It just seemed like I would never stop if I kept up this pattern . So I went to a doctor today for an intial visit and he gave me 5 8mg tabs and I have to go back on monday to see him again . I am guessing he wants to monitor me . I feel really good as I have only taken one pill all day . I just hope I can do this for a few weeks and wean down under a docs supervision and try to get better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BTW all responses are welcome . I thank everyone here .

Post subject: Welcome to the Site....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:38 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi there rubba3,
Welcome and Congrats on getting yourself some Help. And you are right in thinking that "It just seemed like I would never stop if I kept up this pattern" It will Not stop until you do what you have done. GET HELP..... I think and hope that you find this Forum Very Helpful in your Recovery.... I have been Clean and on Suboxone for over 2 years now. Please don't let that be an indication of your road in Recovery.!! We are indeed ALL different. I believe that I will be on Suboxone for the Long term and have NO Problem with that. However you may be " in and out " sort of speak and there are many people that are successful in doing it that way! If you continue to be honest with yourself and your Dr. you will get through this just fine.... I don't know if your Dr. Recommended any counseling But , I find that VERY helpful. I also use this Forum as a part of my Recovery..... Well I hope you continue to post here because your sharing WILL Help others...... Thanks again for your post and please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing from time to time.... :) I wish you the Best of Luck in your Recovery!!!

God Bless
TW

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi rubba and welcome to the forum. And congrats on starting suboxone and taking control of your life. It is my suggestion that you don't focus on how soon you'll get off suboxone. Instead, focus on your "new" life in addiction remission. Allow sub to give you some time to learn to live life on its terms. There's evidence (from studies) that short term sub treatment has a very high rate of relapse. So try to worry about how long you'll be on it later. For now, get control of your life...learn to deal with triggers and cravings. Once you're off suboxone, all those cravings will return and you'll need to address them with new coping skills.

Again, welcome. I'm sure you'll find lots of support here -I know I have.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:35 am 
Welcome Rubba! I'm glad you found the site....there's a wealth of information and support here. I'm happy to hear that you decided to get serious about getting off the oxycodone. I was the same way....just couldn't do it for the long-term on my own. The cravings and w/d symptoms were just too much. Suboxone has been a huge help to me and I think you'll find it to be so for you as well.
Though you're a "guy" and I'm a gal, we are near in age. Another thing I noticed that struck me is that you mentioned only about a 2 year history of addiction. I didn't become addicted to opiates until I was around 40 years old. It seems like most addicts/alcoholics that I know of, have a history of some kind of substance abuse or mental health problems that go back since their teens or twenties. So it interests me that maybe you're like me in not having this hit until well into adulthood. Having mentioned that....perhaps there is more to your story and I'm wrong in assuming this is your first go-around with substance abuse. If that's the case.....obviously that's fine. It doesn't matter....just something I am interested in. Maybe you'll feel like sharing more with us soon.
I also wanted to tell you that I agree with the others who've suggested that you try not to focus on getting off the medication. It generally does take longer than a few weeks to get better. Addiction is a real beast, even if your history doesn't go way back. I hope you'll take all the time you need to learn about addiction, get all the treatment you need and learn about and practice recovery from this disease from every possible angle, so that you'll never, ever have to go through it again!
Keep posting here and let us know how you're doing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:56 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hello, Rubba, and welcome...you have found a wonderful resource and a community of friends.

I have only been on suboxone for about 6 weeks, and I am so grateful! I feel better than I can remember
feeling in my entire adult life. Even in this short time, my life has settled down and I am beginning
to deal with the issues I was trying to ignore by numbing myself with opiates.

I agree with everyone when they tell you not to worry about getting off the sub. Take this slowly, listen
to your doctor, and enjoy your life coming back to normal. You have been given a wonderful
gift. This is a chance to heal your life.

We look forward to hearing more about your story. By the way, I am another addict who didn't abuse drugs
until I began using vicodin in my 40's. It does seem far more common to begin using in one's teens or 20's.

Congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for the replies . I going on day four of the suboxone and I feel much better . My thinking was I just wanted to use the suboxone to get through the withdrawal stage because I have vowed to never do another oxy ever again . The withdrwals are horrible and I will never forget that feeling . I am a little confused - my prescription says suboxone 8-mg-2mg tablet sl . Does this mean I am taking 8 mg or 2mg . Once again I am very confused . I go to the doctor again on monday for my follow up visit . This wil be my second visit . I am taking half a pill in the morning and half in the evening and feel much better than I have in a long time . If this is an 8mg pill is that a high dose ? . Hopefully someone can chime in .

Thanks for all the support .....Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just replied on your other thread too, but in case you don't see it, the 8mg is Suboxone (buprenorphine) and the 2mg is Naloxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In response to set me free this is not my first time around with substance abuse . I started as a teen smoking weed and it seems like all through high school we partied alot . Mescaline , acid , black beautys , tuenols , secenols was just a weekly occurance back in those days . I pretty much stopped all that stuff and then graduated to cocaine in my early 20's and from going from new york to the university of miami in the 80's the party was on . Cocaine and exstacy lots of it I could go on for days about the stories some good some not so good . I managed to get past the blow but have seemed to dabble in it until my mid thirties . I got into the percs and the vics about 10 years ago but I was never full blown into it . Maybe 3 to 4 pills when I could get them . Then all of a sudden a couple of years ago someone said " hey try one of these its like a strong perk " and I was like this is cool i can handle this . One a day ,two a day and so on and so on . When I realized I was effin up I tried to stop a few times but it was pure hell . I never realized the ramififications of this stuff . Anyway I am at day four of the suboxone and I feel really good . I don't do any of the other drugs I mentioned anymore but I will smoke a little weed here and there. This is just the short version and there is alot more to the story but I just felt I had to respond to her post and come clean . Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hi and welcome!! this forum is very helpful. in terms of your situation; 8 mg is not a high dose, i think 8-12 is pretty average. some people go up 3 , 8mg pills aday i think thats the highest dose. if you are on 8 mg then it wotn be to hard for you to taper. on the other hand, since you do have a history of addiction i would be careful with how soon you get off of the sub. i know that i wanted to get off of it so bad after a couple of weeks because i wanted the quick fix and i thought i had it. ive been on subs for a year adn im tapering now and finally feel ready. what im saying is that you dont need to rush the process, make sure you feel readu adn your dr thinks your ready. i know theres an article i read a while back as well as a bunch of threads on this forum about people staying on subs for weeks vs extended period and the relaspe rate goes down the longer you are on it. i would just recommend getting some support so that you csn build the tool to stay sober once you taper off the sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for everyones replys . I felt so alone with this horrible thing going on . I am hoping to never go back that route again . I made a terrible mistake . I feel like I am a smart guy but I made a terrible decision to get into the oxys . Everyone who has responded seems like an intelligent person and I am glad there are people here to give me advice . I just want to wake up an not think about pills ever again and feel good . I can't believe the money I wasted on this sh&t .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:40 pm 
Hi again Rubba. Thanks for replying with a bit more about your history. I'm going to just be honest with you here, as much as this may not be want you really want to hear. As I mentioned, my own substance abuse issues didn't begin until I was around 40 years old. Even with having lived that many years without using substances to cope, escape, feel better, have fun, ect, I still have found it exceedingly difficult to get off opiates and live life the way I know I did before my addiction. Since you have a pretty long history of abusing/misusing substances, I can't help but think that you will have a fair amount of work to do before you'll be able to stay off drugs. I think we all want to believe that if we can just get past the rough patch of acute withdrawal, then we'll be able to walk away forever. I know that's what I thought at first. But it didn't work out that way and it seldom ever does. I'm not trying to take your hopes away from you, but I just want you to know that there is so much more to fighting addiction than getting through withdrawal. Being on opiates for a period of time (even a relatively short period of time) causes changes in our brains which leave us in a real mess! It's difficult to feel happiness and contentment and so on for months and months and months after we get rid of the opiates. I speak from my own experience in trying to do this cold turkey for several months, and because I'm aware of the phenomenon of post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) If you haven't heard of that before, do a quick search and read about it.
I just want you to be aware of the fact that just wanting to be off the oxy and getting off doesn't ensure that you're home free. That being the case, I just encourage you to think more about staying on Suboxone for a good while. That way you can work through whatever issues have led to your drug abuse and at some point you can try to gradually wean off the Sub and hopefully avoid PAWS and never go back to using again.
It's not fair that it's this way, but it is. I don't think any of us knew what we were setting ourselves up for by taking opiates like we did. If we had known how hard it would be to stop, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have let it go on. Then again....that's how addiction works.....it's a very cunning monster and once it gets it's hold on us, once that switch gets flipped in our brains, we truly do become powerless. But we're fighting back and that's all we can do. We'll be here to support you so keep posting!