It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

5 months in. 12-16 mg a day. Feeling good. Best 5 months of my life without abuse of drugs in five years. here to help and share. Word ya'll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Frisbeehead,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great community, full of sympathetic, intelligent, and informed people. When you're ready, maybe you can tell us a little more about yourself. Again - WELCOME!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

my story is an old one. have enjoyed drugs of all kinds since my teens. lived in northern california for the last eight years going to school and playing music. played drums in a fairly successful touring band for 5 of those years. grew marijuana and had too much extra cash. got into opiates, mostly methadone at first, but eventually graduated to IV use with heroin mostly. fast forward 5 years after multiple 3 months off 6 months back on and the band falling apart due to mine and the lead singers drug abuse, made the big call to home and decided to try it really kicking it in the midwest. did well at first without replacement therapy through counseling and classes, but still found myself dabbling after 3 months of horrible insomnia. after finding a decent job was able to actually afford suboxone treatment and have had the smoothest sailing yet. finally feel as if i can really beat this and move on with my life, but have no interest in quitting my suboxone treatment. if it aint broke dont fix it i guess. i am a very non judgmental person and feel i have a lot of ability when it comes to helping others. so someone in my weekly suboxone group told us about this forum and here i am.

1 thing i wonder is if other communities have strictly suboxone client groups. we just started one after the local addiction services clinic started reporting many sub clients were not happy with groups dealing with all types of drug addictions, and i feel it is a step in the right direction...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so happy to hear how well sub has worked for you. It's done the same for me. Like you, I don't plan on getting off it anytime soon (I also take it for chronic pain). Kudos to the person who referred you to us. I hope you like it here. Again, WELCOME!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum! I appreciate that you mentioned the 3 months of insomnia from full agonist withdrawal. Not a whole lot of us were able to remain opiate free without replacement therapy so people can be quite negative about the suboxone withdrawal experience (if they don't taper properly) and the biggest complaint is the extended insomnia and PAWS. Several of us have noted you would have this from full agonist WD too. It is hard to compare it when people could never remain opiate free on their own long enough to do so.

Sounds like you are doing great. Glad you found this place. It is always nice to have a new addition.

I'm not interested in getting off sub either. It works for me. I am happy. Period.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi frisbeehead!

Glad to see you here:) I'm sort of new here, too, and I really like this forum, and think that the people who post here are awesome, and very helpful. If you have anything that you need help with, then ask about it, and you will probably get a response fairly quickly. There are so many helpful people here, and I'm glad that you intend to be one of them.

I, too, am in no hurry whatsoever to cease my Suboxone treatment. I wasn't addicted to full agonists for as long as some people here were, but I was very, very addicted, and that year and a half/ two years straight of using them multiple times daily really did a number on me, as it has on everyone else here, and I had many, many issues that lead me to abusing opiates in the first place, and thus, I feel that i need a substantial amount of time on Suboxone while I work on those issues. To be honest, I haven't accomplished a whole lot yet, but I have managed to keep away from the drugs this whole time (aside from stupidly taking a few Tramadol because, to me, they didn't 'count', haha, wonderful justification. Didn't get high at all though...), and have managed to start looking at the things that drove me to use, and have attempted, at the very least, to acknowledge that they are problematic, and have been trying to avert them/ improve on them. I think it will take me quite a while to pick up the pieces, so I am not even thinking about tapering off any time soon. I plan to be on it for a while.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling! I am glad that you are doing well, and it's great to hear another uplifting story, especially from someone who has been through so much. Good luck to you, and welcome:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Frisbee I'm so happy to hear that we actually have people reffering others to our forum :) That's just so cool!
Anywho I'm really glad to hear you're doing better I know that the 4 months or so that I was clean after getting out of an inpatient facility were really, really rough before I started taking Suboxone. The sleep deprivation alone just had such a profound effect on things like mood, being rational or reasonable, heck I was even avoiding all social interaction like the plague because I was never even comfortable in my own skin. I finally just told myself that I needed to at least look into Suboxone more even though at first I really was against it. Seeing others I'd went through treatment with being able to get a full night's sleep get and hold down a job and actually seeming to enjoy being around other human beings really made me reconsider. I still didn't consider them "clean" because they were taking medication but I was just to the point where I would have used undoubtedly had I not gone on the medication instead. Hell I'm like 99.9% I would have talked myself into using again just so I could sleep for more than 2 hours at a time again!

Anyways it's been right about 4 years now since I started on Suboxone/buprenorphine and I'm for once really satisfied with my life :) I've really begun to see medication assisted recvoery very differently as well. Started Suboxone literally gave me another chance at life and even though I still am a bit frustrated sometimes about how much the medication and Dr.'s appointments are without health insurance (rofl turns out opiate dependance is a pre-existing condition... only one of the four insurance companies I spoke with would even give me a quote and that was the company that was kicking me off my parents policy so they had to at least give me a quote and that was $890.00 a month haha! Can't say I know too many full time students with that kind of cash on hand .....anywho I digress) I'm still having to live month by month and even day to day sometimese but I still have no doubt I'd be using if I quit taking the medication. I've even been able to get back a few things I was sure my opiate dependance had taken away forever. Namely my girlfriend who had to cut herself off from all the stealing, lying, and illegal nonsense that was going on with me before I made it into treatment. Now she's my fiance :)
To summarize real quickly since it's late, is that even though some people may think that they have the right to look down on me because I take a medication for a chronic illness I'm really to the point that it just doesn't matter anymore. I've tried staying clean both ways and only one has worked for me :) I guess I just want to welcome you as well as encourage you to keep doing what you're doing! I hope that circumstances allow you to stay on Suboxone as long as you feel you need it. Even if that means indefinately I'm basically just saying I hope you don't let others decide what treatment you should go with, or to change if what you're doing now works! I'm also really jealous that you have a Suboxone group that meets where you are. I'd love to have one around here in central Indiana.

Well I really need to get off here I hope you get as much out of this forum as I have :) We're really happy you've found your way here and please don't hesitate to post or PM any questions to me you might have. Goodnight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Awsome best of luck, this is a great place to learn and get questions answerd don't hesetat to ask