It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hello all
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Just want to introduce myself. I am a 28 yo male. Been on Suboxone for close to 10 months, haven't had a single drop of alcohol or taking anything other than what is prescribed since than. I attended 12 step meetings, did a 90 in 90, had a sponsor (two actually) but as time went on and I began to realize just how strong I was, I started to become uncomfortable. Plus, I did not mention I was on Suboxone. So I broke away from that and felt better and less stressed immediately.

Life is going pretty well, I am so grateful and lucky to have a supportive family. I guess I am having some trouble taking "the next step". I am a former social worker and burnt out after two plus years of working with abused children. That job fueled lots of my addiction. I have suffered from anxiety, depression and insomnia for my whole life. I was a major self-medicater and was a wuss when it came to getting off. If I would have realized how easy it would be (at least for me) I would have done it earlier.

My usage was usually a two week binge, followed be me tapering myself off and than taking a month or two off. It was often "the last time", but we know how that works. To compensate for the WD effects, I would often drink a 2 to 4 beers a night. Eventually, I just realized I had to get off. I am really liking sobriety, but am unable to commit to a lifetime of total sobriety. I do know I can never use hard drugs, opiates, stimulants etc ever again. I have made a personal commitment to put in pretty lengthy amount of using no mind altering substances (besides those prescribed) and its going well. I do get the rare craving, but now its basically like "Damn a beer would be nice now" but I know that I cannot act on that and it goes away quickly.

Right now, my goal is to get a job and get my own place. I plan on getting my masters at some point in the near future as well.

I guess that is about it. Suboxone has been a miracle drug for me. I am in the process of a slow taper. I take 6 milligrams once a day. I started on 8 and stayed on 8 until last month. I plan on being very conservative with my dose reduction and am not opposed to staying on maintenance for a long period of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hey just wanted to say that im a caseworker and i know what you mean about burnout. i have only been doing 8 months and i feel the burntout somedays. i think thats one of the reasons that my anxiety and depression got sort of bad for a while-because of the people i had to deal with on adaily basis. i work with children and their parents as well and it can be very disheartening. just wanted to say i know how you feel. are you currently working?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi stephent. I saw some of your posts on other threads, but I'm glad to see you posted an intro. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I used to work in social services, too, so I also understand the burnout and the self-medication. It sounds like you're doing really well on suboxone - good for you! Hope you stick around and keep posting.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.