It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:09 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'll start with some background, I became addicted to oxycontin about a year and a half ago, eventually found a friend who had a dieing father who had 100 mcg Fentanyl patches... At the time I never even considered becoming addicted to such things for some reason, it just felt too good at the time... After spending thousands and thousands of dollars on oxy and fentanyl I eventually ran out of money and began to realize I spent about $5 grand in the last couple months once I got bad, so I went to my mom and told her I had a problem and needed help quitting. I did some research and we found a detox clinic in Wisconsin a few hours from my home town that I went to for a few days. Like in the video "Suboxone withdrawal is the worst ever! " my blood pressure was too low to get any help from medication, after day 4 of getting no help and sitting there in agony they still refused to give me any help, so I left the clinic a day early. The doctor said if i stayed 1 more day he would give me suboxone, but i was bored, stubborn, and a stupid kid and called a friend for a ride and got out of there feeling actually decent on the 4th day. Once I got home withdrawals kicked in again in full force... I was ready to kill my self, had no real options left... I went to the emergency room after finding online there is a medication that fixes all the problems i was having (SUBOXONE) but they treated me like a criminal and told me to leave even though I could hardly walk. The next day I contacted a suboxone prescriber in a town about an hour from my home town and asked him what to do, there was a few week wait for an appointment, but the extremely nice and helpful doctor pushed me in for the next day, i got some oxycontin to stave off the withdrawals for that day and made sure i didn't have any for a while before i went into the appointment, as the doctor said i should be beginning withdrawals to start taking the suboxone.
That was the end of the hell for me... or at least I thought. I had a GREAT doctor that saved my life and helped me in so many way... I've never had a more helpful doctor in my entire life... But after about 6-8 months of being on suboxone and everything going well, back in college working on my degree in the school of business, living on my own, supporting myself... Well I went to make my next appointment with my doctor, and they inform me on the phone that he quit... out of nowhere he was just gone, the best thing to happen to my life in a long time was just GONE! They suggested I find a new provider and gave me a phone number to find somewhere. Well I tried, i went to a doctor that was authorized to prescribe suboxone in my new home town where i was going to school, he refused to prescribe it, he said he didn't believe in it and he was only on the prescriber list because of a course he took... So I tried the other 2 options i had with no luck... There was no one left anywhere near me that could even prescribe it... so i had my last prescription and decided i would just go down from my 24mg a day and stop taking it... At that time I thought suboxone was harmless and wouldn't produce withdrawls as bad as it did... Well I got sick... i took half an 8mg pill every once in a while when the pain was unbearable... dropped out of school, couldn't get a job because I felt like HELL, my life went down the drain... At the time I didn't even know it was suboxone withdrawals... I didn't put 2 and 2 together until just recently...
I have been to the doctor, had blood tests done, everything and they couldnt find anything wrong with me... We thought it was Chronic fatigue syndrome... the symptoms seemed to match. Then with my life not going so well, sick as a dog for months on end (still taking a little suboxone on and off just trying to stretch my last few pills to stop the pain) my dad invited me to Italy where he works to get away from it all and get some R&R... I took him up on the offer, i had nothing going for me in the US at the time... Now this takes us up to present time... I'm in Aviano Italy right now, not coming home until Feb. 14th, and after doing some research over here I realized that I've been going through suboxone withdrawals the whole time! I have 2 1/2 8mg tablets left to get me through... I've been breaking them up and taking 1/4 or 1/8 a pill every few days to stave off the withdrawls now... I think I might make it through the rest of my stay here just taking tiny pieces of the few tablets I have left...
But my question is, now what should I do? When I get home I still don't think there are any options in the area to get prescribed suboxone anymore... I sent my mom and email with the number to my old clinic seeing if they can get me in again, but haven't heard back yet...
Watching the videos on youtube you (the doctor) seem very knowledgeable and like you have been through the same hell I have! Can you give me any advice on what I should do when I get home?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:49 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm going back and forth on stopping taking suboxone now, that i have been on a low dose, if any at all for the last couple months... I think I would feel a lot more comfortable being on it, as I wasn't ready to stop taking it when my doctor up and quit, but finding a provider near me has proven to be a problem, so I'm not sure what I should do... If I spend the next couple weeks only taking 1-2mg every few days, how bad of withdrawals can i expect to experience when I finally run out? My only problem is when I get home I left at "rock bottom" I have 50$ to my name and am not going to be able to pay rent, bills, credit cards, etc... So I really don't want to feel like hell because I need to go out and get a job somewhere and try to find a way to get my life back in order..
Thanks in advance for any replies, it would just be nice to talk to anyone right now about this whole thing... I'm in Italy with my dad who I could NEVER talk to about anything like this, he doesn't know i was addicted and I don't plan on ever telling him...

-Cory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:31 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I just noticed that the doc from the youtube videos I saw is located in Wisconsin! In Fond Du Lac though, so a bit of a drive for me... But do you have any openings in a Suboxone program? I have had no relapses in my opiate addiction since I got on suboxone, I don't really want to quit... I would drive 3 hours for appointments each month in order to keep my sobriety!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:57 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome HIK -

Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure that the doc will be reading your forum input too soon. I have seen him reply to one or two real medical questions. I know he has a website (google for his company name) -
and you'll find a phone number. I'd call that. Just my $.02.

Regardless, it's good to have a new member here. Lots to learn and think about - that's for sure.

I look forward to hearing from you and having your input.