It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:40 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

im not going to get into my history too deep other than it involved massive amounts of pills, heroin and meth. this went on for 7 years, until a very, VERY great friend called me out and sent me to inpatient rehab ( he was the only one who called out my using, and i am forever in debt to him for that). after residential rehab (30 days) i was put on suboxone 16mg. pretty high dose. i actually got high off of it and ended up abusing suboxone. my months supply ran out in 2 weeks, and the docs kept refilling. this went on for 18 months. ive had constant back and hip pain, and when i found out about opioid-induced hyperalgesia i decided to stop. ( i am actually pain free. my WD consists of anxiety, mudbutt, and insomnia. RLS is there too..that sucks the most, but the pain is GONE) i was never great with self control obviously lol, so my last few days 'taper' was 8mg, then 4mg the next day, and 2mg the following two days.
Wel. its been 13 days, and mentally, i feel phenominal, always trying to keep a positive attitude. i watched a documentary called 'Swansea Love Story' its about a town that lost its industry and the youth are pretty much all drug addicts, but one person they interviewed kept mentioning PMA. positive mental attitude. it stuck with me for some reason (even though he ended up relapsing). I've gotten used to the insomnia, and the stomach issues are a bother, and its very hard to stay positive, but hard physical exertion works WONDERS. force yourself. i was moving buckets of rocks yesterday for about 10 hours, and i felt great afterwards. i find when i slow down the withdrawal creeps up.

I guess what im really getting at, is there a light at the end of the tunnel? its not debilitating but it is extremely irritating. it makes me angry, so i go work out to get back in a good mood. 5htp and b12 helps.

i guess i just need to talk about it. my wife supports me, but doesnt really understand. none of my friends are users so they dont get it ( most didnt even know) and the friends ive made in residential rehab have mostly relapsed....i dunno. i guess its therapeutic to let it out, but these low level withdrawals are annoying as f***!!!. when does it end? does anyone have any GREAT experiences? i know i boned the 'taper' but ive gone this far, and havent had cravings, so is the worst yet to come? i was prescribed benzos for sleep. 19mg ativan and 10mg klonopin washed down with vodka in one night didnt do a damn thing (i know it was stupid, but i was somewhat loopy from lack of sleep. that was the first drink i had in a decade, and it tasted like s*** lol)

i know im just rambling. for the people in the early days of withdrawl: MUSIC and EXERCISE. even a bit of exercise will help a ton. and one other thing i learned. try not to think about yesterday. its over. im out of ideas. if anyone can give me advice to help with the stomach issues and insomnia it would be greatly appreciated. btw tis is the longest time ive been off of mind-altering chems in the past 8 years....feels good man...

and for everyone else in these forums. thank you. your experiences have helped tremendously. i come here everyday to read and read, and gather strength..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:02 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

also if anyone has any advice for insomnia it'd be greatly appreciated. benzos dont work, even in unsafe quantities....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:57 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow, you are really doing great and have some great advice to give. Keep it up! I don't know what to do if ativan and klonopin doesn't knock you out. Usually I recommend Valerian Root, which doesn't usually knock you out, and usually I wake up a few times in the middle of the night, but it keeps me sleepy enough that i can fall back asleep, but I doubt it would even touch you. It's worth a shot I guess. I like it because it doesn't make me too groggy in the morning, which during these withdraw times can be difficult if you don't have much energy, and it's cheap and found at Wal-Mart.

Also, I would recommend somas, but once again I don't think they would help you, but you could try that. Plus, they are usually easily prescribed by your doctor so it's worth a shot. If THAT doesn't work, I would try to get my hands on some seroquel. That knocks anyone out. I've never used more than an eighth of a pill (not sure what mg pill it was), I'm scared to use any more.

Other than that, before bed when I'm withdrawing, I take 1 or 2 naproxen tablets (helps relax body's minor aches and pains and RLS) and I eat a TON of food. I have even ate lots of salty foods before bedtime, which can raise your blood pressure, but that never seemed to affect me. I would eat comfort food, like Stoufers Mac n Cheese, or a big sandwich. But stay away from sugary things because that could keep you awake of course.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:55 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

y know, im learning to deal with the insomnia and stomach issues. the stomach issues are really mild and more of an irritation. ive had it worse when i eat things that i find in the back of the fridge and think its still good (since when i was on subs i had no sense of smell lol)

i am going to try valerian root and melatonin tonight. i took a few valerian root a few hours ago and it did help relax for an hour or so. i pretty much have given up on benzos and sleep aids. besides im pretty certain once my doc finds out what i did he wont give me anything remotely dangerous lol.

what bothers me the MOST about insomnia is the boredom. I live in vegas, but i dont drink (aside from the above instane of trying to KO myself) i dont gamble or club. i dont fall asleep till around 5AM, and wake up around 8. i feel pretty decent to be honest, but the boredom till around 5am is killing me. tossing and turning sucks. im trying to find something entertaining, so picked up crysis 3, but i can only shoot at stuff on TV for so long before i get bored again lol. at least i have music. been listening to the same album for two weeks, and its helped me tremendously. like makes me wanna dance around the house and stuff. its the Dethalbum I from Metalocalypse if anyone cares (probably not). but it makes me WANT to do things, and it helps alot....cant describe it, but those double bass gives me the chills. in a good way though...

i would go thru withdrawl quite a bit before, like at least once a month for a few days, but this time i prepared myself better mentally. i think thats the key....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:02 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

i forgot to mention on other thing that never happened before. my appetite is INSATIABLE. when i was on subs i ate one meal a day because i just wasnt ever hungry. but even with the stomach issues i still feel hungry and i think it kinda makes it feel a bit worse. still not very bad though....very manageable.

one thing i want to mention to others getting off subs. dont doubt yourself. not one bit. that .00000001% of doubt WILL take you down. this can be done. its been done before by many others. i told myself this time around im staying off even if it puts me in the ER (i have a pacemaker). ive been telling myself this isnt so bad (compared to methadone especially), and lo and behold, it isnt. i used to psych myself out about WDs, but its gotten to the point i dont give a f*** anymore. im getting off . and staying off. period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:06 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

day 15...feel a bit worse. got more sleep (thanks for the valerian root suggestion) i got woken up at 2am and listened to a group of black women slap the shit out of each other, which at the time i was mad because i was JUST starting to doze off, but now im awake and thinking back, it was pretty hilarious. i know its bad to laugh at such a thing, but with the way i feel today, i'll take what i can get. yelling, slapping, running, repeat. with many many 'oh no you di'int' in between. this went on for an hour. i have no idea what they were fighting about and was too lazy to look out the window....all i know was it started with alot of honking from a car...

not sure why i feel worse today...its hard staying positive all the time...

btw whoever actually reads my crap, dont worry. its really not that bad i am the kind of guy who will run to the med cabinet for a hangnail. if you havent noticed, i complain. alot. this WD is NOTHING compared to methadone (went thru that in '10) or heroin. i just complain alot....its really only as bad as you tell yourself it is....

edit:im sorry if i offended anyone, i didnt mean it to be a racist post or anything like that, but it literally sounded like it came from a 'growing up in the hood' comedy movie. (i live in downtown vegas. nuff said) no police or ambulances came so i doubt anyone got seriously hurt, but i cant stop smirking when i think about it...pretty sure that counts against good character...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thought your story was pretty funny. Anyone who thinks it's racist, tell 'em to shut up!!!

Day 15 and you feel worse, eh? Welcome to the rollercoaster ride known as Suboxone wd. Please keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times and don't hurl on anyone!! lol

It's pretty normal to have some ups and downs through Suboxone wd, you just gotta put on your big boy pants and push through. I'm a complainer like you are, I'll bitch and moan over the silliest shit and I had to learn to put on my big boy pants, get over myself, and push through.

Check out this little motivational video, I love watching it from time to time. It's only 2:21 long, but it's pretty powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L1stBkpWBc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:06 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Romeo wrote:
I thought your story was pretty funny. Anyone who thinks it's racist, tell 'em to shut up!!!

Day 15 and you feel worse, eh? Welcome to the rollercoaster ride known as Suboxone wd. Please keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times and don't hurl on anyone!! lol

It's pretty normal to have some ups and downs through Suboxone wd, you just gotta put on your big boy pants and push through. I'm a complainer like you are, I'll bitch and moan over the silliest shit and I had to learn to put on my big boy pants, get over myself, and push through.

Check out this little motivational video, I love watching it from time to time. It's only 2:21 long, but it's pretty powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L1stBkpWBc

i do have to admit its not bad at all...just sucks. im thinking maybe its NOT worse and i just think it is? i dont know...the vid helps..just wish the mudbutt was over with....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wouldn't wish mudbutt on my worst enemy. Try baby butt wipes, the wet wipe thingy's, your ass will say Thank You!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:41 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I broke down and got some Imodium for a day....having trouble staying hydrated. Any advice for anxiety? I lost focus there for a couple days, I guess lack of sleep will do that. I'm not depressed or unmotivated (although I admit I AM lazy), but the anxious feeling, I mean, if I feel fine otherwise aside from anxiety, insomnia and diarrhea would it be safe to assume paws wont get much worse? Am I even in paws at day 16 or so? Last dose was 2mg on the 14th...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hey fiveseven15!

ive really enjoyed reading your expirence so far, and i love the humor in some of your posts! Gotta have a sense of humor to survive this. oh no, not the dreaded mudbutt (im guessing your a Dave Chappelle fan?) Immodium should help you in that department, and Romeos right, baby wipes are your friend! Have you tried Clonidine for anxiety and sleep issues? Not to get all scientific on you, but during opiate wd your brain produces excess amounts of adrenalin (im assuming adrenalin can magnify anxiety and make it hard to sleep) so clonidine counteracts the extra adrenalin you may have and help with some of your symptoms. Its helped a ton of people get through the hardest parts of their wds. And like you have already discovered..MUSIC. I think hearing music we like gets our natural feel-good chemicals going. I think your doing great, and i look forward to your posts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I would bet that there is no way in he*l that your withdrawals would get any worse. My rule of thumb is, if I'm in full-blown diarrhea, it is as worst as it's going to get. Generally with small doses (like 2 mg and under), people generally say the worst is as early as Day 3 or as late as Day 10. You are on Day 16! It certainly will not get any worse. You have been in PAWS this whole time, and it is almost over. As far as your anxiety, your nervous system should not get any worse. It has been dealing with no opiates in its system for a long time now. At this point, it's probably starting to get back to normal already. So just remember, your nervous system is adjusting to not having depressants in it all the time, and it is slowly getting better. By a month's time, it should be completely back to normal (any other symptoms like depression are probably just related to mentally getting used to a lifestyle of not getting high as your main means of happiness, and a few symptoms could linger at a small stage for another month -- particularly, usually the insomnia, but not near as bad as your first couple of weeks).

So if you are having anxiety, just remember, it IS getting better, and it will be gone as soon as you know it. Personally, I would not take any meds for the anxiety, not even supplements (like 5-htp), because you want to get used to having nothing. You want to train your brain to learn to be able to relax itself. But if you can't stand it, you could always try 5-htp. It helps your brain make serotonin, which can make you feel more relaxed. Or, try eating a baked potato. That makes your brain release lots of serotonin. Load it up with sour cream, butter, and shredded cheddar cheese, and you have got one feel-good meal. I always find that big hearty meals help me relax.

Of course, you could always try the hippy route if you want. Lay down and close your eyes and think about breathing deeply, counting to 7 as you inhale, and 7 as you exhale. After you do that a few times, stop counting and then let any thought come to mind, and visualize them on a piece of paper, and then image the paper crumpling up into a ball and being thrown away into a trash can that is far away. When all of your thoughts are thrown away, disintegrate the waste basket into nothing. Then lay there relaxed as long as you want. This is what I do if I ever feel really anxious. I read somewhere that if you have anxiety, you really just need to lay down and give your body a break. Sometimes when the body is overworked, it gets tired. If the body knows it is tired but must keep going, it releases chemicals like adrenaline to keep itself going. Unfortunately, sometimes you don't want that boost, so that's why laying down can help, just make sure it's at least for 10-20 minutes before giving up. I guess it's like mediation, and isn't for everyone, but if you really want to you could try something like that, or Youtube some yoga videos, or even take a walk, but don't let your mind wander because that can stir up thoughts and bring on more anxiety. Keep up the great work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:52 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

BeautifulDisaster wrote:
hey fiveseven15!

ive really enjoyed reading your expirence so far, and i love the humor in some of your posts! Gotta have a sense of humor to survive this. oh no, not the dreaded mudbutt (im guessing your a Dave Chappelle fan?) Immodium should help you in that department, and Romeos right, baby wipes are your friend! Have you tried Clonidine for anxiety and sleep issues? Not to get all scientific on you, but during opiate wd your brain produces excess amounts of adrenalin (im assuming adrenalin can magnify anxiety and make it hard to sleep) so clonidine counteracts the extra adrenalin you may have and help with some of your symptoms. Its helped a ton of people get through the hardest parts of their wds. And like you have already discovered..MUSIC. I think hearing music we like gets our natural feel-good chemicals going. I think your doing great, and i look forward to your posts!

Heh for some reason now I have 'melted snickers bar' stuck in my head damnit Tyrone biggums!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

It's weird. Today I woke up feeling ok, then found out from the wife a coworker might be stayig with us for a few months (out of state intern) I freaked and went on a cleaning spree since the downstairs bathroom I've been using has all but been declared an OSHA toxic waste site, and felt immensely better until AFTER I ate and laid down for an hour. With valerian and 5htp, should I NOT be taking it in the middle of the day? (I usually take one ea 3x a day).

I really really REALLY value all your input and support. This has been a long time coming, and really, for anyone considering the jump, it REALLY isn't so bad...the worst days are just a memory now, nothing more, and I have a sense of accomplishment I'm not sure I should have since I got myself into this mess haha. Like asking for a trophy for fixing a hole in the wall, when I put the hole there in the first place :p. suboxone even at lower doses had me sleeping till noon and then napping in the afternoon. (Not to mention eating one meal a day and I lost 35lbs this year being a log... Since I can't do that anymore I think filling in all those extra hours is what's 'killing' me, but I guess that could be a good problem to have? I am just really grateful I don't have cravings for anything. It would be free to walk into my doc's office and fill a script right now, and I'm pretty sure he would do it, but now it seems like a huge hassle for something I don't really even want anymore. I had a weak moment over the weekend and almost bought some kratom, but luckily my wife reminded me I would probably need massive amounts, and didn't want to spend that much. I took Imodium last night and I've been good until now (still) so I hope the worst of the mudbutt is over.

As corny as it sounds, I've been listening to dragonforce. Metal probably doesn't help anxiety in the long run but whenever I blast it I feel better. Sam totman and Herman Li are the fastest guitarists I've EVER seen ( or heard) I had to listen to some songs repeatedly to catch all the notes. Not sure what I just said has to do with anything....

did I mention I whine a lot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:27 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

BeautifulDisaster wrote:
hey fiveseven15!

Sorry for the multiposts lol I guess I'm still scatterbrained.

I've had clonidine when I was in inpatient rehab (with suboxone) and it made me tired. Then the people at rehab would get mad because I would doze off during the day. Is there a more natural remedy you have? I'm not sure if I mentioned on this forum or not but I haven't drank since I stopped hanging with my Russian friends over a decade ago, and 19mg Ativan+vodka didn't do jack, neither did 10 klonopins and more vodka the next night. I swear I'm immune to benzos. When I was younger and much more stupid I took a bunch of Xanax chasing that euphoria people talk about. Took like 20mg and was VERY disappointed, and haven't really messed with them since till now.

It's good to know its an adrenalin issue. its been tough to tell wtf is going on since i have a pacemaker, my heart rate doesnt jump that easily, but i do get the burning skin sensation...like a weird sunburn, and THAT sets off the rest of anxiety, or thats what i notice first anyway (along with schwetty palms and feet)....IS that along the lines of adrenalin or something else? i've never gotten this far before without maintenance meds, hence the million questions. or maybe its the anxiety. or something else. i dont know...

For some reason if I know it's not just in my head or something it makes it easier to deal with. I've always been a chemistry and biology type of person so I can probably talk myself down from it now. I used to be able to talk myself out of meth-induced panic attacks, (like the actual chemical processes that LED to the attack and what happens when i calm down, then i calm down.) so this should be a breeze. I feel tons better already lol. Heck if its placebo or adrenalin calming down, I'll take it either way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

haha..

i liked the skit where tyrone's family and friends tricked him into showing up to an intervention by advertising a "5' o clock free crack giveaway" and of course tyrone blasts through the door at 4:55 "is this the 5 'o click free crack give-away" only to find out he is bring given an intervention. Man, Dave Chappelle really needs to come out of where ever hes hiding. Maybe if you throw on some good old chappelle show dvds all the laughter will make you feel better!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

HAHA yeah he REALLY needs to come out with more material. wherever he is, i hope hes okay, he kinda dropped off the face of the earth...

i digress. it REALLY hasnt been that bad. its....shall i say irritating. not even close to debilitating now, but irritating. but seriously, if this is all PAWS is, and it doesn't get worse, i'm good. i'll take a couple (2-3, only when i lay down) hot flashes/adrenalin rushes a day and minor mudbutt over depression and malaise and stuff.

i really REALLY want to thank all of you again. this may just be a forum i found a couple years back and forgot about, but you have really been the main pillar of me getting through this. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Holy Heck, more Dave Chappelle fans.....awesome!!!! Tyrone Bigums classroom visit always cracks me up!!

About the anxiety, it's part of the process of wd. Like BeautifulDisaster said, it's best not to take anything. Continue talking yourself down and you'll eventually normalize. Also, stay away from caffeine or any other stimulant right now, those only serve to increase anxiety.

You mentioned how filling all those extra hours is hard for you.....welcome to the club. We addicts used to spend so much time and effort chasing our drugs that it was almost a full time job. Once on Suboxone, we don't have to chase our drugs anymore, but, for me, Suboxone was still on my mind a lot. Once off completely I almost went nuts trying to figure out what to do with my free time. For me, exercise is key. I may be addicted to exercise, I don't know, but I can think of far worse shit to be addicted too. Know what I mean? :wink:

Stay strong and remember, you will get better, it just takes some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I did the exercise thing early on and overdid It and am still sore as heck ( not wd sore, but crazy workout sore)

I gotta quit smoking too if I am gonna exercise more. I feel like I can now deal with the insomnia, and now only have anxiety to overcome. I don't know if Imodium is still in my system but my 'waste system' feels completely normal. Like I don't have the urge to go and nothing happens deal.

Btw I loved that classroom skit. Drugs are great! When you get high all your cartoon friends come to visit and laugh etc etc lol. Classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:35 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Romeo wrote:
Holy Heck, more Dave Chappelle fans.....awesome!!!! Tyrone Bigums classroom visit always cracks me up!!

About the anxiety, it's part of the process of wd. Like BeautifulDisaster said, it's best not to take anything. Continue talking yourself down and you'll eventually normalize. Also, stay away from caffeine or any other stimulant right now, those only serve to increase anxiety.

You mentioned how filling all those extra hours is hard for you.....welcome to the club. We addicts used to spend so much time and effort chasing our drugs that it was almost a full time job. Once on Suboxone, we don't have to chase our drugs anymore, but, for me, Suboxone was still on my mind a lot. Once off completely I almost went nuts trying to figure out what to do with my free time. For me, exercise is key. I may be addicted to exercise, I don't know, but I can think of far worse shit to be addicted too. Know what I mean? :wink:

Stay strong and remember, you will get better, it just takes some time.

HA i knew i was doing something wrong. i was using redbull as a crutch. today is the first day in a long time i havent drank at least one lol...we'll see how that goes