It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:21 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

First off, thanks in advance to all who have posted here. I have read so much here, and it was very helpful. I will try to not post FAQs but after looking for some time I haven't found an answer to my specific circumstance.
First of all, I have been lucky and unlucky.
I was lucky in that I didn't go as far down the slope as many have before I started suboxone. I had the usual entry to this hell, through legitamite need - I have a very painful condition, and at first opiates seemed to be the godsend. I had resisted going on them for years, then gave in.
Of course, over the next six years, I went from having pills left over at the end of each month to struggling through the last three days on reduced dosages and making excuses for my behavior.
I managed to taper off for three months to the point where I was taking 1.5 to 2 roxicodone 15mg a day, thenm went to subs.
I am on my sixth day...I haven't really had an urge since the second day, and even then not that bad. Just when I came home from work, and when I kept myself busy it went away.
I am not minimizing my problem...but I do want to minimize it's effect. I want to try to come off the subs ASAP...I am down to half of a strip a day, and it has been 24 hours and I feel OK...can I go to 36 hours and a quarter of a strip, then just a tiny bit when I absolutley need it in order to function?
I can't miss work, and I REALLY want to try to get off this stuff. I am aware and worried about the higher chance of relapse when the treatment is shorter, but I feel that the less I take this stuff the better.
Thanks, and if this need any clarifications let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi turtle and welcome! OK, so you know about the high rate of relapse for short term sub treatment, so I won't go there. So let's just talk short term detox with suboxone. I'll say right off the bat that everyone doing this does it their own way. They get different amounts of sub, take different dosages, and take them for various amounts of time. There is no normal, short term taper schedule. So you are free to be pretty flexible and do it your own way. Just lower your dosage a bit each day based on how much sub you have and how long you want to be on it.

You could wait until you really need to dose and take just what you need to get by. That might tell you how little you really need and could shorten your taper. You might realize you need a lot less than you think you do (it's strong stuff!).

I know I'm not giving you any concrete advice or straight answers, mostly because everyone does this their own way. I don't know if this will help you or not, but feel free to ask more questions you may have. We'll all try to help you through this. Good luck and congrats on getting off the active addiction roller coaster!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. WOW I had alot of spelling errors in my post. Sorry about that, I was dashing off a quick post from my phone.
I suppose that what I want to achieve is getting through my opiate detox without building tolerance to the subs.
I hope to not have any problems relapsing...but the percentages are not good.
My plan is to take a sub when I weaken(this being after I have detoxed from the subs of course). That way I cannot get high from a pill.
I never bought off the street, so I don't have access to any opiates without going through my doc - with whom I have come clean about my issues.
I hope I don't come across wrong with that last statement - I was certainly heading in that direction. Two days into just a pill a day and another day untill my appointment, I sure as h*ll WOULD have bought some had I known where to....and I don't doubt that I could've found some with a little effort.
In short, six days into taking suboxone, have I become tolerant to it? Enough to have w/d's from the subs themselves, not the opiates..
Thanks
PS
Hatmaker
I found your post informative, and I understand that nothing is for sure, and that it depends upon the person. Thanks for the help

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The age-old question, will I be/am I dependent on sub or the previous opiate? That's been the subject of a few discussions around here. At this point in your journey, it's my opinion that the sub is merely being used to get you off the opiate you were on. You're not dependent on the suboxone. But the longer you're on it, the longer its half-life will build up in your system. *TearJerker, if you're reading this, I think this is where I used to lose you in our discussions; I'm revising my opinions with continued research.

I honestly don't know near enough about how each different endogenous opioid affects the different opioid receptors (much less the their subtypes) to be able to explain how the brain would transition from, say, oxycontin to buprenorphine - IF there is a difference other than the half-life. I don't know if there is one. I was taught that "an opiate is an opiate is an opiate", that "the brain can't tell the difference". But that statement is in question at this time and I can no longer track down my source.

(I'd like to get Dr. Junig to address this issue...A'hem, Doc, you around?)

Lastly, I wouldn't suggest using suboxone PRN (as needed), either to address cravings or as a blocker. The longer you don't use the more you lose tolerance and if you were to take a sub, it would probably just make you high. And that would defeat the whole purpose. You definitely don't want to do that.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.