It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hello again! :D
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone! It has been quite some time since I've posted on this forum. I wanted to come back and offer my experience and progress in life since I was here last. I feel an overwhelming appreciation for this forum, and its community. There are some great people here who helped introduce me to a "solution" to my addiction. Here is my original thread posted in 2010 :

well-here-goes-t1933.html

I am 23 years old now. I'd like to make it clear that i did not take any of the advice that was posted on this thread, until I hit my "bottom". I continued to do exactly what I was warned not to do. I ended up using subs as a coping tool to avoid withdrawal. I ended up becoming a Heroin dealer. With my girlfriend who was mentioned in the previous thread.

I was convicted of sales and transportation of a controlled substance. In the previous thread I mentioned over and over my reluctance to tell my parents of my addiction, well they know now! haha!

Without getting in too much detail I ended up going to rehab, so did my brother and my girlfriend. We are all sober now. I am still on probation but soon to be taken off. I currently work at the residential treatment center, and I am attending school to get my drug & alcohol counseling certificate.

I was compelled to come back and share what happened to me, because I feel this forum was there for me when I was in a very dark place in life. I ended up not using Sub and just 12 stepping my way to recovery.

My brother is doing well after rehab, does not practice any sort of 12 step program, but for the most part he is sober (of opiates) and genuinely happy. He works for my father, and is going to school for physical therapy.

My girlfriend used Subs for about a year after rehab, and now practices the 12 steps (and yes we are still together). She works as a waitress and is going to school to be a social worker.

I attempted to keep this short and sweet. I would be more than happy to elaborate if anyone has any questions about what happened. I am very happy with my life today, and so thankful for the people who replied to my original thread. This site was an excellent introduction to recovery for me, even though I didn't take the advice offered immediately. I have a high level of respect for this forum and I feel that helped lower my guard in AA/NA/HA meetings. This is a summarized version of my story and it does not have to be yours! There are some great people here who take their time to share some experience/strength/and hope.

I don't really know what else to say, but I'm glad I pursued this site again to followup on my original post. Thank you all for taking the time to read this! Please feel free to PM me anytime or reply to this post!

Post subject: Re: Hello again! :D
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:05 am 

Hey Tim!

I haven't been around the forum a lot for a few days, but I'm so glad I found your update post! I went back and read through your previous posts here (thanks for the link!) and recognize that desperation you were feeling back then.

Thank you for being honest about what the last few years have been like. Even though it sucks when you're found out and your parents get the news, it's still relieving at the same time. But I had to chuckle the way you said, "Well they know now!" No more secrets.

I'm so glad that you found a program that works for you. You and your girl have so many good years ahead of you! Your future is bright!

I'm so glad and gratified that this forum helped you when you needed help. Even though I wasn't around here in 2010, it's really wonderful that there have been so many wise voices to guide you on your way. This forum is so much bigger than any one person, except for Dr. Junig, the founder.

Thank you for taking the time to catch us up with how you're doing! Keep up the good work!

Amy

Post subject: Re: Hello again! :D
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for coming back and posting. I think many people wonder " Hey what ever happen to that one person (insert poster name)?" on this forum. And...It is great to get an update now and then to see how your doing and where you are now.

I wish more people would check in and post on the forum whether clean or not clean and just give an update. So many of us addicts need hope that this disease can be dealt with and there is not one way to get sober. There are many paths and you just have to chose the one that's right for you. Glad that you are enjoying life. Please Check-in now and then to say "hi"