It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone.. Well, i was hoping someone could help me with some questions i have. I have never told anyone about my problem, but now im ready to come clean for many reasons. So let me start...
I started taking pills here and there and i found myself LOOKING for them and i started taking more and more and as i would get more and more i would be thinking about how i would be getting more and more! I had 4 or 5 contacts i could get from, i would use internet vendors for vics and oxy when times were dry and i would always order and make sure i had tramadol, kratom, poppy pods or DHC on hand just incase i ran out or didnt have the money to dish out to my internet contacts. all of this planning, worry and drug seeking has broke me and wore me out, im tired, im ready to put and end to this! I am a student, a single dad and work full time.. taking pills, i felt, made me a better student, dad and worker, however, i cant keep this up and im ready to move on with this part of my life. I have tried it myself using tramadol and kratom but work.
My questions are.. How much am i looking at for treatment? I have no insurance. :( I dont have a "family" doctor. So how do i go about finding one that will listen to me and understand what im looking for? Do i just go in a say "Hey, im hooked on pills and wanna get clean?" I did look around on the internet and there are no methadone clinics close to where i live, however i did run across suboxone DOT com and they had a doc finder option on their site and with that i was able to fine some real close to me, 60 mile round trip. I am very busy with school, work and my daughter.. would these docs be willing to give me these meds(subs &methadone) to take home or is this like a methadone clinic type thing?
If you took the time to read this.. Thanks. Im lost about how to go about this.. all i know is.. is that im ready and need pointed in the right direction and advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi evertking and welcome,

I'm going to assume you are in the US, since the suboxone.com site gave you info on locations for docs in your area? If that's the case and you are interested in going with suboxone and not methadone, then you do not have to go to a clinic. Suboxone is an office-based opiate addiction treatment. Doctors go through a special training and get a special waiver (DATA 2000) to prescribe suboxone from their office - no clinic necessary.

The downside is that it can be expensive. But usually even as costly as it is, it's cheaper than active addiction. Think of it this way, we put a shitload of energy, time, and money into getting high. We should put the same into getting ourselves into remission/recovery. Also, for people without insurance, there is a patient assistance program through the drug manufacturer that will cover your medication for one year. So when you start calling doctors ask if they have any slots open for the patient assistance program. Most doctors will charge a large fee for the first appointment (induction).

I'll leave you with this much info for the moment rather than inundating you with too much. I'll let you ask more questions after you read this. I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your reply! Yes, i am in the US. I did get around to calling one of the 3 doctors that this site listed for me, and they told me the fist charge was ~200 bucks and then $110 a month, which is alot cheaper then what im doing.. i swallow that before my feet hit the floor in the morning :( However, this does not include the price of the Meds, so if you could tell me a ballpark price on the Suboxone that would be nice. I was told that the patent on this med was almost up and that it would soon be cheaper, but im not sure about this.. is subutex a cheaper med and would this even be an option with the doctor? They did talk about the assistance program a lil and im sure he said that they only have three spots for that.. Im not sure how they work that out as far as who is eligible for that. Also, if the price for suboxone does become too much, would methadone be an option?
There is a tad of bad news.. i was told there was a waiting list and was told "maybe October." :?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: WOW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did get a call back from one of the other doctors that i called today and they said that the price of the suboxone could and does go from 800 to 1000 bucks a month!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Regarding the price of the medication, your best bet is to call your local pharmacies and ask how much the 8 mg suboxone tablets cost. There are no generics out yet.

The first price you got quoted sounds like a pretty reasonable one, although I'm not the best person to say, because my doctor takes my insurance. Subutex is cheaper (the generic version anyway), but many doctors won't prescribe it - especially to new patients - because without the naloxone it's more prone to be abused and/or diverted.

The patent on Suboxone ran out last year sometime and there still isn't a generic on the market for it.

Yes, doctors only get three patients on the Patient Assistance Program.

If I were you, I'd start putting my name on those waiting lists. It can't hurt and you never know how quickly you can get bumped up - especially if you can go in at a moment's notice. Keep calling around. In addition to that one doctor locator site, there's also a couple others. There's the one at the top of this site (suboxone-directory.com) and naabt.org, as well as samhsa.gov. I would just keep calling until you run out of places to call or have hit the state line!

Good luck and if I missed any of your questions, just poke me with a stick or something. 8)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.