It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Anyone experience severe heart palpitations? My heart is always either racing (over 120 bpm at rest) or pounding (not fast but hard beats). The best way I can describe the feeling is as if someone's hand was clenching my heart and squeezing tightly over and over. Also, upon exertion, as little as a mildly fast stroll, I begin to experience awful dizziness accompanied by breathing problems and a mild "closing of the throat" sensation. Sometimes in the night I jolt awake gasping for air. My left chest often feels as if it's burning up and when it does I get really bad circulation (cold, numb, pins and needles) in my left arm and leg. Sometimes I'm fine for a few days but then really bad for a week. I also have back pain mostly at work or after a meal. All together, along with these other symptoms, i experience just an overall feeling of illness and discomfort. I also get head aches but I'm aware that this is a common side affect. I was on 12mg but lowered my dose to 8mg, then, 4mg now 2mg in a short time in an attempt to alleviate the side affects to no avail. Lowering only helps until I get adjusted to the dose and then the discomfort starts up again. I am desperate to get off suboxone and live a completely medication free life. I'm afraid I'm getting really sick from this medication and am slowly poisoning myself. It's always worse after taking my dose. I was taking methadone for a few years before suboxone and It didn't induce anything close to these affects. I don't want to go back to methadone. I want to look forward not back. I've had an ecg, EKG, stress test, lung scan and blood work which was mostly normal. The ecg said borderline (which a doctor told me is normal. Apparently they calibrate them to be over sensitive) and my potassium was low. I know there are other posts about palpitations but I'm not sure if those relate to my symptoms. I neither drink nor take any other drugs than suboxone and I try hard to eat healthy . I'm also very laid back and I'm far from an anxious person in case something thinks it sounds like anxiety. Good day and thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry to break it to you... but your symptoms have nothing to do with buprenorphine. And no-- you are not 'slowly poisoning yourself' with buprenorphine, a medication in use for over 30 years with an incredible safety record. It has the effects of any opioid-- with a cap on effects that limits the risk of overdose. Other than that safety effect, it is like taking any opioid-- whether oxycodone, morphine, hydrocodone, heroin, methadone.... no long-term damage to the body, provided you avoid hypoxia and trauma.

I think it is interesting that every symptom you describe is a symptom reported as 'anxiety'.... yet you claim to have no anxiety. Realize that for many people, 'anxiety' consists ONLY of physical symptoms-- such as racing heatbeat, dizziness, numbness, tingling, etc. Your post essentially says "I am having classic symptoms of anxiety but I'm not an anxious person.... so instead I'll blame all of the symptoms of anxiety on a medication that has been studied for over 3 decades, that has no actions that could account for the symptoms but is probably poisoning me anyway."

You suggest 'headaches is a common side effect to Suboxone'; I've treated hundreds of people with suboxone over years, and headaches were rarely complained of--- certainly not any more commonly than in any non-buprenorphine patient. Funny how one person writes 'suboxone causes headaches', and just from that sentence, anxious people everywhere start saying 'I heard that headaches are common with suboxone!'

They aren't.

I go into the issue in my blog post, 'help, SUboxone is making me fat and stupid and boring'-- you can google it. Actually I have another post entitled 'am I slowly poisoning myself with suboxone?'-- you can google that too, if you want the answer...

On methadone, an agonist, you were 'ON' something. You are not completely tolerant at the mu receptor-- so you are experiencing life without being drugged-- perhaps for the first time in a long time. You are having all of the classic symptoms of someone who is anxiously experiencing life on life's terms for the first time. You may not THINK you are an anxious person.... but that is like me saying that I consider myself to be someone with real thick hair.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hope to god that you're right. If it is anxiety, it's occurring 100% subconsciously. I'm very relaxed and bothered by very little. Headaches are among the list of common side affects in the medical facts sheet that comes in every box of suboxone. Same with breathing problems. I added the part about anxiety because I knew someone would suggest it. My doctor who prescribes it suggested that. He said that sometimes people who have anxiety won't leave the emergency room because they are adamant and insist that it's not. I've considered this and still say it's something else. You have to know me to see why. Also anxiety doesn't fit for every symptom only some. I understand where you are coming from. From your experience this sounds like anxiety. Hell I would think that if I read it from someone else, but I am certain it is not.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also. You cannot exclude the possibility that this drug, whether it be the buprenorphine or naloxone or the combination of the two, might simply just not agree with me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:59 pm 

Well one way to find out if its tbe sub is to stop taking it..Ya i know, a tall order indeed...
How loug have you been on Suboxone?.. What stumps me is how you ve tapperd down and its still coming at you, these side effects..sorry your goi g though all this whatever the reason. Doc did make some good points ..idk..tuff one..best of luck Des..
Razor...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:01 pm 

And Doc, last time you had real thick hair you were diving into rivers saving people!!!!!;-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:lol: Razor! TOO much! all in good fun doc! ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Been taking it for about 6 months. I am going to continue to taper off rather than go back to methadone. Lowered to one mg this morning. I originally began tapering because when I was on the higher dose I would be sick moments after the tablets began to dissolve. Even one mg this morning made me feel awful when I took it. I understand what the doc is saying about the mu receptor. I was very emotional the first month, crying awhile watching a lame commercial or something, but that all subsided and gradually all these other symtoms came about. Maybe, if it is anxiety, it's the suboxone inducing it. Either way, I'm getting off. It's the best solution all around as it was pointed out in the earlier reply. Another thing that's kind if weird is that I can't drink even one sip of wine without intensifying the symptoms. I also quit smoking because it too made me feel sick. Oh well, cutting these out is a good thing for one to do so I'm not complaining. I just want to feel normal again. I guess what I was hoping to accomplish with my original post here is for someone to relate and maybe I could find out how they overcame these crippling symtoms.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You could try asking your doctor to switch you over to Subutex, it doesn't have any Naloxone in it. This way you could eliminate one drug from the equation and see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:44 am 

Well im so sorry this is happening to you.. I like Romes idea of a bupe switch. Its possable.

One step ata time. Keep posting . Razor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I as well have been getting the symptom of headaches. Well I would really call them migraines! I do have anxiety and am being treated for it. I don't see in the packet of info from my box of suboxone where it lists side effects of headaches. So I am also wondering why I might be getting these very intense migraines. Anyone have suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:52 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

@Desperate- I hope that maybe this might make you feel a bit better, I have those exact issues and it has been recently over the past year. I do take clonodine for anxiety because the dr. I was seeing found it to be completley ludicrous that I would even imagine that it was the suboxone doing that to me. I am currently at 2 mgs but if I were to take even the slightest bit more by accident (Like cutting a film not correct) I will have a horrible headache and feel terrible.. My heart races, my vision is blurred and the clonodine does not always take the symptoms away. I personally feel that maybe this med has run it's course with me. When I came across your post I had to reply.. I am not here to debate and I don't think you are either. It is scary when something is going on with you and your dr. is saying this is not the case but it's the only thing you are taking. I have never been an anxous person and I had developed a severe anxiety disorder out of no where? I had a panic attack in my car for no reason what so ever and my hands started to contort around the steering wheel. I thought I was having a stroke. The pins and needles are awful! I just wanted someone to relate that went through the same thing. I never believed that the subs made me feel that way, but I do feel like they have created this anxiety so when the slightest little ping in my head happens I instantly freak! I've never been that way before. Either way, as I always say Suboxone has been a great tool but I think I am at the end of the road with it. I just wanted to tell you that you were not alone with your symptoms. Ask your dr. for a low dose of clonodine to help at night time for sleep and anxiety. It will help now and it will help ALOT when you jump. Best of luck to you!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am another person who is beginning to get serious side effects from suboxone such as increased heart rate, tension headache that hasn't gone away for 4 days, numbness feeling next to my nose.

Suboxone worked great for many years but suddenly has turned on me. I know alot of people think people blame the suboxone for their ailments but when people are ordinarily healthy but then start developing strange symptoms out of the blue it only makes sense that its the drug. I'm finding more and more reports of this with suboxone. Most people its in the 3-5 year range when the drug stops working properly.

I feel like I'm going crazy.I've never felt so weird like my brain isn't working properly. Not taking the drug produces withdrawals and taking the drug continues to cause problems. It is a living nightmare. I feel for anyone that is going through this. My life has suddenly flipped upside down in a short period due to suboxone which at one point gave me motivation and helped my life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:51 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I experience the same exact symptoms that you said you have. The heart palpatations and dizziness are awful and cause me extreme anxiety. Also the waking up short of breath. Headaches are awful and last all day everyday! My point- i too chalked it up to suboxone side effects. So i finally asked my dr about it. He said it sounded like Hypothyroidism. He sent me to get my thyroid levels checked. Low and behold my thyroid levels were thru the roof! Also why i was always tired- which i blamed on suboxone. So i got put on medicine for my thyroid problem and after a week or two- wa la! Symptoms gone! And i'm still taking my suboxone. I'm so much happier now. No more anxiety! If you haven't found the cause of all your symptoms- i'd suggest you speak with you dr about getting your thyroid checked. By the way- i'm only 27- health problems don't discriminate any age! Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

if you think getting off completely is the best solution, I feel that you have either never relapsed, or are discounting suboxone as the miracle drug it is and has been for most of us. I too am having some problems, not sure if it is the subs doing it or not, but apart from being locked up, suboxone has given me the longest stretch of sobriety I've ever had. I strongly suggest a 12-step program if you decide to get off completely, and I wish you all the luck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[quote="suboxdoc"]Sorry to break it to you... but your symptoms have nothing to do with buprenorphine. And no-- you are not 'slowly poisoning yourself' with buprenorphine, a medication in use for over 30 years with an incredible safety record. It has the effects of any opioid-- with a cap on effects that limits the risk of overdose. Other than that safety effect, it is like taking any opioid-- whether oxycodone, morphine, hydrocodone, heroin, methadone.... no long-term damage to the body, provided you avoid hypoxia and trauma.

Wow. Your blanket dismissal of bup as not possibly causing tachy or other palps is surprising. I know you're a Subox doc and you make your living on the safety record of this drug, but that's a dangerous statement. Certainly, anxiety related to the drug can cause them, as can interactions with other drugs, but bup itself is well known to cause heart palps, though no permanent damage.

The most cursory search - I picked just the first result to appear...

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/buprenorphine- ... fects.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Help!
I just went through a bunch of forums on here, and deemed this one most appropriate to post this.. I was a pain killer addict for about 5 years, and then a heroin addict for almost a year before finally getting help, and into a sub Doctor. They put me on subutex, and I loved it. I was on 2 a day for awhile, and then they started decreasing me .25 down every other month. Well about 2 months ago I started having extreme anxiety, panic attacks, the whole thing. And so I started changing my daily routine to try to fix the problem. But then I thought OH ITS PROB THE SUBS. So I dropped the dose all the way down to .25 a day (and was coming from 1 and .25 a day) bc I just FREAKED out thinking I was going to die, had all these insane thoughts about just.. Well.. Dying. I literally (and still think) I am just going to flat line. But the thing is, I'm having pain up and down my arms, and chest pain. So I saw a doctor, and they gave me a EKG, and it came back normal. So they wanted to prescribe xxanax and I said no I don't want any of that. So they gave me Buprione. (I think it's called). And at first I think it helped but maybe it was in my head. Needless to say.. DOES ANYONE else have issues like this?? PHYSICAL anxiety as they call it. Yes I've had major life changes to. So that doesn't help. But when I was an addict I could literally handle anything. Maybe it's bc I'm sober now, and I just don't have any coping skills or methods. I don't know. But, I'm literally miserable. In a living hell. Daily. A lot of time I find myself dwelling on the past and wonder how the hell I lived through it, and what not. I can't focus, my memory seems like it's getting worse everyday.
I just want relief. But I DO NOT want to take Valium or Xanax or any of that junk.
THANK YOU for reading, and please.. And suggestions will help..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Above post continued...
Also, I don't drink, or take any other med at all. I also don't exactly have the resources to get into therapy.
I just need help :( I live in fear 24-7. Panic attacks come on often when I'm driving. And I've completely ruled out being able to drive on the highway bc the panic attacks are so bad I cannot handle it when on the highway.
Thanks again!! Please help if you can..!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Meek, I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with anxiety but I am glad you have found us.
Are you still reducing on suboxone? I can't answer if reducing or stopping sub is related or not. I would like to encourage you to develop tools to deal with panic and anxiety.
I will say that I do understand how debilitating it can feel to live in such an anxious state that new fears are born and avoidance is all consuming.
I struggled with a panic disorder in my late teens. Almost overnight any situation (socially) that required me to wait or be still (queue's, sitting in a theatre, stationary in a car, public transport!) would precipitate the fight or flight response and it was the physiological response that fed this cycle of fear, embarrassment and a get the fuck out of here mentality. Basically I had the usual symptoms... Heart jumping out of chest, blurred vision, sweating, but the one symptom that threw me the most was i would get a head tick. Yep, my head looked like it was about to spin off my neck. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little but it was enough to make me feel incredibly embarrassed and ashamed. Over the years I have seen loads of therapists and learnt how to manage my anxiety. Learning to breathe properly, taking time to create a space where I focus on being in the moment, stretching, meditation, using guided imagery ( highly recommend Paul McKenna cd and books), limiting caffeine can be helpful too. Cognitive behavioural therapy can help if you find the right therapist. Meek, things will improve if you seek support.
We are here to listen when things feel unmanageable,
Stay in touch,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

P.s meek, I have experienced crushing chest pain , radiating down arm and jaw, with unremarkable results also. Actually my Er visit confirmed that this wasn't unusual with ppl coming off opiates (following heroin binge at the time ). I'm not sure how true that is? Maybe DR J can weigh in?
If you have another panic attack, recognise it is just that and it will pass. In saying that, please don't ignore chest pain etc.