It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:27 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

So had the cath on Thursday. Not Fun! The guy that did the meds was kind of a jerk. He really didn't know how to manage acute pain with Sub. I could tell he thought I was just a druggie and wanting more. He gave me valium which helped a bit with the nerves and I think versed. I was pretty much wide awake at the last 15 minutes of the 45 minute procedure. It hurt like hell. I asked for more and I heard the guy say, She's had enough. Even though I could feel the doctor turning that wire in artery especially in the groin area. I was grimacing and moaning. After that, this huge guy pressed really hard on the needle site for about 10 minutes. (No sand bags). That HURT LIKE HELL!!!! He keep saying he was sorry. I just suffered through it. Then when I got back to my room, The med guy said, She's fine, she's had plenty. WTH? Does this guy know about my pain level. Jesus sakes, can't they tell I wasn't faking the pain? When the doc came in my recovery room I said I wanted something for pain. He said ok and ordered two percocets, the med guy just swished the curtain shut and I never saw him again. I ate and took the two pills, and I did not get much relief, but I wasn't about to ask for more. The nurse was asking all kinds of questions. Like, Why did you want the painmeds?, do you want one or two?

I had not had any sub before the procedure since the Saturday before. I have felt like total crap since. I had the WORST night of my life last night. I was wide awake all night, skin hot and cold at the same time, RLS like a bitch, toes numb, felt like I had to go to the bathroom every hour on the hour and nothing was really there, then also I have had diarrhea terrible all week. No matter if I take the anti diahhreal or not. Then on top of that I have had the WORST FREAKING HEARTBURN EVER, especially last night. It has been really bad. I know this all WD's but I could NOT stand it this a.m. at about 6:30, so i got up ate something, and put 1 tiny chip of sub under my tongue. It seems to have worked, I slept like 3 hours and then got up and actually went to eat with my husband and then to walmart of all places. I'm still tired and I don't want to take a nap as I am afraid I won't sleep tonight either. I have to work tomorrow and I don't want to feel like shit my first day back after being off all last week. I am going to try and not take anymore or at least only very small amounts to get me through and at only every other day if needed only!! I really need to get off this. I've been on long enough.

In hindsight....my mistake was not printing out the info for the med guy. That's totally my fault. I am going to print it out and hand deliver it to him this week and tell him he needs to get schooled.

Talk to your docs before any surgery and have them coordinate a pain management formula for your surgery!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry to hear that. You did everything you should have. It amazes me how when you are in the hospital, the staff can make you feel as though you are a junkie when you are really in pain. But then the dr. Will give you prescription after prescription for chronic pain. I sometimes think that the nurses take some of the meds that aren't being used. So many nurses are addicted to pills- they have easy access.

So what are you doing now? Subs or not? Hope to hear back. Take it easy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:34 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

[font=Century Gothic] [/font] I now have to have an ablation due to persistent paraoxamal AFIB. I am on 1 mg. of suboxone 1 x daily and surgery is not scheduled until 2 days before Thanksgiving. An ablation is when they enter the groin area and send wires that have an electrical frequency and they do multiple burns, sometimes up to 50. They poke a hole through your r atrium wall and go into the left atrium and make more burns. It's about 6 hours on the operating table and another 4-6 laying on your back. You have trouble taking deep breaths for a few weeks because the pericardium can become inflamed. You are also more susceptible to more afib attacks until all the scarring has taken place which could be up to three months. There is also a risk of having to have it done twice!I have a new EP (electrophysioloigist) She's young and I told her about the suboxone and she was very receptive and I told her I would print out the paper about the acute pain management. Most people on the afib forum says they didn't experience much pain. WTH??? I don't believe it for a second...not for me anyway. Mt pain tolerance is NOTHING!!. So I typed uo a letter and thanked her for understanding my situation. Printed out two of those papers on acute pain management and some stuff I got from the Bup Alliance on how it works. I told her if needed I would be glad to meet with the anesthesiologist. I dropped the papers off to her office and I haven't heard anything. I am going to call her nurse next week and see if she had read them and has any questions. This is too serious for me to be messing around. I also told her about how I was treated with the cath and I wasn't going to be treated that way again. It will be at another heart hospital this time. I'm not playing! I'm usually very nice and cordial and just go along with anything they tell me. NOT THIS TIME!!! Everyone touching me is going to know about this med and how it affects tolerance and i will not be treated like second class citizen.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: HEART CATH
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:16 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Toothy, I am writing because I have done ER, Flight for Life and Cardiology for years. I too, have had a heart cath.

They can pre-sedate you with Valium or Versed. I vote for versed, because it is safer, short acting and you won't remember a thing. It is kinda like LA LA land..
They will numb the site and you will not feel the catheter or anything but pressure ( a little). They kind of like you to be a little awake, to answer questions and see how you are acting. I have never seen them use Propofol ( the michael Jackson drug) unless there were a lot of complications. This is a pretty safe procedure. It is totally safe and I have given Propofol at least a thousand times. This is very safe as well.

Just make sure the nurse and doc know you are on suboxone. The stuff they use are (usually are not narcotics). Some docs say cut your sub dose by 1/2, 3-4 days prior to your cath and if you continue to have pain, use OxyContin and oxycodone IR for break through pain. Your suboxone doctor should be able to advise in any case.
So, prayers for clean coronaries. I will be thinking about you!

Robin

Post subject: Heart Cath
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Toothy, I am writing because I have done ER, Flight for Life and Cardiology for years. I too, have had a heart cath.

They can pre-sedate you with Valium or Versed. I vote for versed, because it is safer, short acting and you won't remember a thing. It is kinda like LA LA land..
They will numb the site and you will not feel the catheter or anything but pressure ( a little). They kind of like you to be a little awake, to answer questions and see how you are acting. I have never seen them use Propofol ( the michael Jackson drug) unless there were a lot of complications. This is a pretty safe procedure. It is totally safe and I have given Propofol at least a thousand times. This is very safe as well.

Just make sure the nurse and doc know you are on suboxone. The stuff they use are (usually are not narcotics). Some docs say cut your sub dose by 1/2, 3-4 days prior to your cath and if you continue to have pain, use OxyContin and oxycodone IR for break through pain. Your suboxone doctor should be able to advise in any case.
So, prayers for clean coronaries. I will be thinking about you!

Robin

Post subject: angiogram
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:24 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I PMD, you this forum gets a little ginchy sometimes.
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello again! I see that you are only on one mg. I still recommend that you get off the sub before the procedure. Even though you have given all the info to the Drs. You are still risking not having the pain managed for the procedure. Remember when I had my hysterectomy, they knew what I was on. Being on the low dose of subs, you will have little wds if any to taper by thanksgiving. If you get the film, you can cut it down pretty easily. I got off at about 1/16 of a mg. Then was on clonidine, stayed in bed for 2 days, and basically slept it off. I have been off the subs now since April 13th. Wow, that is over 5 months. I haven't been paying attention to it. But anyways, you could always go back on the subs after surgery and that would help with the pain, without feeling like you can't take enough painkillers.

I hate to say this, but after my experience with the hospital,etc. I wouldn't trust anyone. Take care of it yourself for piece of mind. That is really the only guarantee you have. I wish you the best in your decision and managing the pain. If you want any advice in tapering slow, with ease, let me know. You have time on your side!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

just realized that cath post was from april. Hope all turned out ok
R

Post subject: Ignore my last post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

ignore my post, i didn't notice the procedure was last april. I am sorry.

Post subject: Thats ok
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:04 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Ya it wasn't fun but I survived. No plumbing problems, just electrical. Supposed to have an ablation two days before Thanksgiving. She said I would be OUT! so I hope that means OUT! I did give her the papers that are recommended to give to your surgeons and I also copied one for the anesthesiologist. I hope to be off completely!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

The whole thing was a complete joke how I was treated. Anyway, have great arteries and valves, but I have AFIB! Going to have an abalation in November.