It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:47 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,

I recently delivered a healthy non addicted baby. I was using someone else's prescription throughout my pregnancy. When I found out I was pregnant, I assumed I'd quit for sure, but 9 months later I still needed some. My plan was to taper down and eventually be off of it all together by the time I delivered. That did not happen. By the time I reached 9 months I was taking 1.5 to 2 mgs a day. I read the stories on this forum. It seemed that whenever a women kept it to herself, and did not tell her doctor, the baby was born non addicted. It also seemed that in situations where the women were honest with their doctors, the baby would show little to no signs of NAS. So I decided to keep it to myself, obviously this was a very stressful situation I've gotten myself into.....
The labor was painful, I requested an epideral,and the epidural worked. Baby's height and weight was average, first assessment done of baby came back great, and he was returned to me in my recovery room as a newborn normally would. By that point I felt relieved, but still not convinced it was all ok. The first night was stressful, not knowing if his fussiness was normal or not. The next day I switched to formula feeding (was breast feeding first day). The baby took to the bottle very well, and seemed content and sleepy after each feeding-no more fussiness. By the end of day 2 I felt very confident. It's been a week now, and baby is still perfect. After going thru this, my advice to anyone in a similiar situation would be to try to taper down as much as you can before birth. I promised myself if everthing turned out ok, I'd share my story on the forum. I hope this helps somene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:35 am 

Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your new baby boy!! I know that so many pregnant women on sub are very nervous about the outcome of their births. Even though you couldn't go all the way off sub, you obviously worked hard to taper down to a low dose.

Now that you've had your little guy, do you think you can find a sub doctor for yourself? I would hate to see you or your friend get into trouble because you were using her sub. I hope you can keep on a good track with your recovery. Good luck!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for sharing your story! These stories help me feel so much better!! I am 36 weeks, and also on between 1.5 and 2 mg subutex. I have been very worried also about NAS. I am on a script, but my ob doesnt know. I decided that I would wait and see how my baby is before telling anyone. Hopefully I have the same outcome as you!! Thanks so much, these stories help a lot of women out there like us.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: @momma30
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

@Momma30, I'm glad my experience helped you! That's exactly why I shared. That's great you tapered down to 1.5-2 mgs a day. I'm hoping you have the same outcome as me! My baby is close to 3 weeks old now, and is doing great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am also 36 weeks on currently on suboxone (not my own script) I am so thankful I found this website! The stories I've read are helping my anxiety about my own situation. I've decided on not telling my OB unless some unfortunate circumstances happen and I have to. I do want to breastfeed though, which is why I would like to be off everything when I go into labor. Thank you for sharing!

Post subject: Happy To Not Be Alone
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Oh my goodness!! I have been spazzing, crying, researching, stressing, and switching doctors since the day I found out I was pregnant. I've struggled with a powerful opiate adiction since I was 16, and about a year ago a family member turned me onto Suboxone which has worked as a fabulous alternative for me. I am now 18 weeks pregnant exactly and have gone from 16 to roughly 2to 4 mil of it per day. Besides kicking morphine several years back, this has become one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I wanted to do what was best for my baby and was 100% honest with my first OB who treated me like absolute crap and told me if I couldn't get clean would have no problem bringing third parties in to take my baby.well obviously I never went back. I found a much nicer dr. but didn't feel comfortable sharing this with him at all now. I know they always routinely drug test on the first visit, and luckily Suboxone doesnt show up but I have been so concerned with what happens if I can't get all the way off before baby comes. Will they know? Will my baby withdrawl? Will cps step in and try to take it from me? I just couldn't live with myself if that happened. This little miracle is all I've ever wanted, I didn't even think I could have children. Reading the stories on this site and knowing that there are more women that have been in my exact situatuon, brought tears to my eyes. Especially knowing that babies were born with doctors never knowing and the baby turning out fine. I'm going to keep pushing to vet off complety before I deliver but I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one, or a horrible mother. Thank you sooo very much for sharing your stories...I really needed this. I will finally sleep a little easier tonight. I'm still nervous, but not nearly as scared. I've been hating myself the past five months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:10 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

my 1st ob was like that too, i was still using heroin tho, and kept asking him for help and he would just rush me in and out, i ended up finding a sub dr that was also an ob the last day of my 2nd trimester, and its been a much better experience since then, i would suggest trying to find another dr maybe? i dont have much info on what happens after birth tho cuz im due tomorrow and still waiting to give birth, but so far everything has been fine with the baby and my pregnancy since i got clean and on the subs, im prescribed 8mg and i take 2mg a day... my dr says its a 50% chance of w/d and of that 50%, only 40% will need morphine.. he assured me that the hospital social worker will speak to me, but he will have in my file how good ive done and all my clean drug screens, ive heard lots of good stories where everything turns out great with the sub babies, and a couple where things werent as great, but mainly it seemed like it wasnt that great because the drs or hospitals werent informed about sub and didnt know how to handle it or just assumed that subs were another drug of choice and not a form of recovery, i will share my story here shortly once my son decides to come :) wishing you luck tho in finding another dr!