It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Healthcare Reform
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If you live in the united states and don't live under a rock you probably heard of the health care reform that is going on in our nation right now. As of right now nothing is that clear...Just a bunch of old guys yelling at each other. Democrats are doing whatever they can to push it and Republicans are doing anything they can to stop it, without offering a counterpoint. We are currently 37th in the world in healthcare, behind nations such as Chile, The Dominican Republic and Columbia. Nothing yet is set in stone but what is your thoughts/views on this? How is it going to effect us and what will happen with medication prices? I am encouraging debate! Not yelling, death threats and and ninja kicks to the face!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Why don't we start with the statement that you made:

"We are currently 37th in the world in healthcare, behind nations such as Chile, The Dominican Republic and Columbia."

What does this mean? What is your source for this? Based on what is the USA ranked 37th in the world in healthcare? It certainly can't be in innovation, quality of care, access to care, and most importantly the number of lives saved every year. We have people all over the world that attempt to travel to the United States to get their healthcare needs taken care of because it is seen by many as the best that is available anywhere. So, what is it that you believe is ranking the USA as 37th and what does that mean?

You also state that "Republicans are doing anything they can to stop it, without offering a counterpoint."

That is simply not true. Here is one of the Republican-offered plans. In fact, it was introduced many, many months ago as H.R. 2520; The Patients’ Choice Act. Why did you not disclose that this plan has been offered - instead claiming that there is only "opposition without offering a counterpoint"? This plan is being rebuffed by some in Congress just as the plan that is on the table now is being rebuffed, but it does exist.

http://www.house.gov/ryan/issuepapers/h ... paper.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sure, care is accessible, but when is the last time you've been to an ER? If you don't have insurance good look seeing a doctor in six hours. Yes, people travel to the US every year to get procedures done...You know what ALL of those people have in common? They have money. Just because we're giving healthcare to people who can't afford doesn't mean all of a sudden our doctors, surgeons, and other medical professionals aren't going to be any worse at their job. I got my "ranking" from the World Health Organization.

http://healthcarereform.nejm.org/?p=2610

What about people with pre-existing conditions who aren't in the upper-class who have to pay over 500$ a month for coverage just for themselves just because they have diabetes? What if you contract prostate cancer at the age of 30 and your health insurance wont cover you since you don't fall into the age group which that disease usually effects. The reason people come here is because we have the best technology, the best doctors, and the best schools. Giving Americans who don't have healthcare insurance isn't going to make the quality of our doctors any worse. How about certain companies refusing to give workers 40 hours a week because they would be considered a "liability" to give healthcare.

A recent survey was taken in Michigan revealing that 40% of people who don't have insurance have delayed getting treatment due to the rising cost of healthcare.

I am currently out of work and don't have insurance. I recently got on a free program for suboxone which saves me about 500 dollars a month. I was paying 500$ a month for my medications and another 100$ on top of that to see my doctor for 15 minutes and have him write me a script. I can't go to the dentist since I can't afford it or can I go to the orthodonist that I spent over 2,000 dollars with to get my retainer fixed. I also can't go to the dermatologist to get medication for my eczema since it's too expensive. I'm just a single male. I can't imagine what a family of four has to sacrifice.

I don't claim to know all the facts of what the bill covers but what I do know is we are the best country in the world but yet there are still 45.7 Million uninsured Americans which is wrong.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:50 am 
The bill has been passed. Its official!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

mmm, its just too bad that it got watered down more than fucking homeopathic medicine