It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Headaches / Ringing
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:22 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Does anyone have problems with headaches or ringing in your ears? Lately I have had some problems with both, but the ringing in my ears is something that I HATE. Headaches are bothersome, but manageable. The ringing happens about twice - tree times a week, with daily headaches. If anyone out there has had this - please let me know so I can figure that the suboxone is the cause. Thanks!!

Post subject: Ringing In Ears
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:51 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Yes, I have noticed tinnitus (ringing in the ears) since I started on 8-16 mg. a day about six weeks ago.
It reminds me of the time Rush Limbaugh went deaf, and there was thought to be a connection between his hearing loss and opiate abuse.
I've read about this connection with Vicodin abuse on several occasions.
Certainly raises eyebrows.
I don't have any headaches, however.

Perhaps at lower doses, some of this dissipates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes i have intolerable headaches that never go away. not only do they never go away but tylonal, or any other otc med does not take them away.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Tinnitus
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am not aware of any studies that have shown a connection between hearing loss and opiate use-- Rush has an auto-immune disorder that causes deafness, but yes, people did talk about a connection. The thing is, Rush was just one person out of all of the opiate addicts out there and 'around here'-- opiate dependence is such a huge problem, not to count all the people taking opiates for years for chronic pain, that if there was a connection I think it would be fairly obvious for all of the deaf addicts out there. Tinnitus IS caused by aspirin or ibuprofen-type meds-- which also cause rebound headaches-- do you take any of those meds?

Please see my answer to the other recent post about side effects. Most of the patients I have had who got headaches did much better with Subutex, which has an identical action but which lacks naloxone. Unfortunately it is a bit more expensive though. You can also try spitting out the leftover saliva to avoid swallowing the naloxone-- that works for many people as well.

Good luck!

Post subject: Headaches
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been taking Suboxone for about 7months now, and am currently taking 2 1/2 8 mgs a day, I have been suffering terrible headaches for a while now, and wonder if anyone else is having this problem since taking Suboxone. Also, wondering if maybe I'm on too high of a dose since I've been on it for so long. I'm scared to death of having to detox off of this medication that has been such a miracle for me. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I vaguely remember getting headaches when I first started -- how long have you been on it now? I have found that high levels of Suboxone cause headaches, but I am on 2mg/day now and have no problem. Once you start to decrease, I think the headaches will start to go away. If I took more than my normal dose, I am sure I would get headaches as well. Just hang in there, start decreasing (slowly!) and they should go away.

If not, try switching to Subutex. As the doc mentions above, it is more expensive, but it does not have Naloxone, and that is probably the cause of the headaches.

Good luck, and hang in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I noticed the head aches too.. They were very similar to the head aches I would get when coming down from a recent oxy high. Right in between my eyes, but a little up.. sometimes right behind my left eye. It was a really familiar feeling, I could just tell it was opiate related some how. And ohh my god it would last for days. Just come on suddenly and not stop for 3 days.
Maybe it is the Nalaxone? (sp?)

And the ringing.. I never attributed it to the subs, but it makes sense. I haaate the ringing.

Post subject: headaches with suboxone
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on suboxone for about 17 months and currently on 8mg/day. My doc started weaning me about 5 months ago slowly. I've noticed I have been getting headaches a lot in the past few months, almost migraine type, and I asked my doc if there was any relation between the headaches and sub but he said he didn't think they were related. After reading some of these posts I'm beginning to wonder if my doc even knows what he' talking about! He did give me a script for Midrin though for my headaches and it works wonderfully! OTC meds like Tylenol didn't help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had chronic migraines forever, and while I was on Suboxone they basically went away. I went from having 4-5 a month to having 4 or 5 a year. Now that I'm off Sub, my headaches are back, but I have a non-narcotic medication that really works.

I used to take Midrin too...just be careful with that medication. If you take it too often, it can give you a killer rebound headache that nothing will touch.

A lot of headaches are caused by trigger points in your neck muscles. The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook explains it all and tells you how to fix it. That book is like my bible and I can't recommend it enough. So much pain is caused by chronic tension in our muscles and it's relatively easy to fix once you know how.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: Switched to Subutex
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So I've been taking 2-8mg in the a.m. and 1-8mg in the p.m. for a year and all of a sudden....boom killer migraines every day. I'm talking missing work, family gatherings, anything that involves being in light, standing, noise, anything. I started taking all the OTC meds...nothing. Went to my M.D. over the course of the week he gave me blood pressure meds, triptans, 22.00 per pill treximet ( no really 200.00 for 9 of them!) , and fioricet (don't remember what happened for 36 hours but I guess I made an ass of myself at work/home/walmart/Starbucks...and so on; flushed those!) and then I saw my sub doc and he gave me subutex to take. well it took a few days but there getting better, missing less work, taking less headache pain meds, but I notice a difference. The only problem, I relapsed, for the 1st time in over 400 days. I'm not dwelling on it, my doc told me that it is nothing compared to what I've done over the year, but I have lots of cravings, I feel like I want more subutex than prescribed, and I don't know why. The doctor said it maybe just in my head because it's different looking, tasting, ect. but I think the naltrexone HCL makes a difference for me. I've spoken with the doctor ( he really is great, talked on the phone at ten a.m. on Sunday for quite some time ) and next visit I can go back to SUBOXONE if i'd like. So...Migraine pain...or relapse...rock and a hard place. I'm praying that the other things I'm taking are whats helping B/C a "real" relapse means death for me, I'm sure of it. ANY OPINIONS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you have to go back on Suboxone, just spit out the residue of the pill after it dissovles. That's where the naloxone is.

You could also ask for a referral to a neurologist that specializes in migraines. That's what I eventually did and in one appointment she basically cured me.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I definately have the tinnitus(ringing in the ears) and don't recall having it prior to my addictive years(from Vicodin) I am on sub (since 2005) and feel that the ringing is a result of my opiate use as well as being on sub. It drives me CRAZY! I have to have a sound machine at night(I use the ocean setting) so I can drown out the ringing!) I would love to hear more responses to this issue of tinnitus, if anyone is experiencing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I also have had ringing in my ears since I started abusing vicodin. I had been taking quite a bit of it for months and all of a sudden one day it started out of the blue. This was years ago and I have suffered with it ever since. It only comes on when I take medication though. Always when I take my subs and like the doc said, when I take asprin or motrin. I also have the headaches. I asked my sub doc about this and he said that it could not be from the sub because the naloxone was not getting into my system. So, I do not no why the headaches are there. Maybe it is because I swallow as the pills dissolve. I cant stand holding all that spit in my mouth. Anyway I have had this for sooo long now that I just try to tune it all out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Try a sound machine at night..it really helps me. Maybe it will help you too?
good luck.
Maybe once I get off sub and all opiates the tinnitus will stop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:00 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I was shooting coke back in '87 and got a ringer that never went away. My ears ring to this day from it.

At first I thought it was a sign I was losing my mind, but made the decision early on that I wasn't going to let it bother me. The ringing, not losing my mind. It's long gone.

I notice it most if I'm tired. It sounds like Cicadia bugs when they make that sound and can never tell if they are really out or if it's just me. I made the mistake of telling someone that once and they looked at me like I really was crazy.

I've recently seen ads on TV for a new tinnitus product but have never tried any treatment to make it stop. I can only advise you that listening to music through headphones or earbuds won't help the problem, but I do it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have tried all the herbal remedies offered for tinnitus..nothing really worked for me..I just try to ignore it!
I wa also a coker(snorted) back in the day..10 yrs of it..haven't done that since my daughter was born about 20 yrs ago.
It seems the ringing is getting a little better since I am tapering my sub.
G44