It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Headache Migraines
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I could use some help.

I have been on Suboxone for 4 years now. 8mg to 16mg, 8mg, 4mg in Nov. and now down to 2mg per day. I have had many bouts with headaches, vomiting, tiredness while on Suboxone. Over the past year the headaches have increased. I now wake with headaches daily, many become migraines. I have had all kinds of testing done. My drs are stumped. Sub clinic has always told me Suboxone is not a factor in my headaches or tiredness.

I have always been a very active person, my quality of life is not very good and my job is in jeopardy.

Here is a list of some things I do to try and help.

Clean diet, limited sugar, plant based as much as possible.
21 day cleanse
acupuncture 2x a week
regular workouts
yoga/meditation
drink water - stopped diet coke since Jan
regular sleep times, 8-9hrs per night

I have seen GYN, allergist, dds, thyroid testing, brain scan.

My goal is to taper down to 1mg and then step off, to see if the headaches will stop.

My counselor is not on board with my stopping as I live with an active person.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Sincerely always

Post subject: Re: Headache Migraines
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you tried the drug formally known as Subutex (My Prince shoutout) Plain buprenorphine has eased HA's and nausea for a couple of people I know. Some people are sensitive to the Naloxone. If the clinic won't switch have you tried spitting out the residual saliva to minimize Naloxone absorption.
you are in a tough situation...
Have you tried migraine preventive or rescue medications? I'm assuming you probably have, just didn't list them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have suffered from severe chronic migraines for many years. I am now on subutex, as suboxone did not seem to work for me because it would trigget the headaches and nausea. I am also pregnant which I why my dr is giving me subutex and not suboxone. (It is harder to find a sub Dr. that will prescribe plain buprenorphine without the naloxone, which many people are sensitive too. If they won't switch you at your clinic you can try splitting out the saliva as someone else suggested. Also have you ever tried fioricet? It is a miracle drug for me, and is one of the only things that helped me for years with the migraines. I stopped taking it during the pregnancy, and luckily the migraines haven't been so bad lately. I am not sure if it would work for you, but you can ask your doctor if they think it might help. It does have a barbiturate in it, butalbital, but it is such a tiny amount. I am not a doctor, but its an idea. Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Diablo I am in the same predicament as you and I am so sorry you are so miserable because I know exactly how you feel! It is very depressing waking up feeling like shit/in pain every single day. I have had migraines since I was 12 and I am now 24. Nothing has helped, no answers found. I have been on multiple preventatives, all the popular choices and no help. Had many tests done throughout the years and everything always comes back normal which is upsetting, sometimes I just wish they would find something so I could get some freaking answers! I guess some people are just cursed with migraines their entire life :cry:

My best advice to you (if you don't already do this) is to ask your doctor (it can even be your primary care physician) for a triptan and an antiemetic... (Imitrex or Maxalt are the best triptans in my opinion) so you can at least have SOME relief for a few days every month. Of course there is a limit as to how many pills insurances will cover per month because of high prices and to not cause rebound headaches but that is the ONLY thing that gives me any relief. I think I could get imitrex 9 pills per month and Maxalt you can get 18 pills per month so I switch to maxalt because I also heard that maxalt kicks in faster than the others. It is only $10 per month with my insurance. Of course it is just a band-aid, but its better than nothing. Tylenol and ibuprofen might as well be sugar pills as far as I'm concerned. I recently started spitting out the saliva after all my suboxone is dissolved. Havent really noticed a change but I will continue to do this as it is said to help with headaches and constipation which I have both, very bad.

Dawn the reason your migraines have lessened is because your pregnant. It is known that migraines decrease greatly or stop altogether during pregnancy because your estrogen doesn't have the sudden drops every month like they would if you were having periods... I got on extended cycle birth control (only one period every 3 months) thinking it would help, because the drop in estrogen before and during periods is said to trigger hormonal migraines which I get extremely bad migraines when it is that time... Last period I had a migraine that lasted 9 days straight. But of course it didn't help at all.

My migraines are worse these days then they have ever been in my entire life. I think I have just learned to accept that I will be miserable forever, sad but true. I did make an appointment to see a neurologist that specializes specifically in migraines but she was booked like 10 months out so I will have to keep suffering until then. I know how miserable you are. And you are NOT ALONE! So just remember that. My quality of life is so bad right now. And I am really tired all the time too, I just never have any energy/motivation to do anything. But that could possibly be from depression.. It is really upsetting feeling like shit/being in pain 24/7, there are many choices for migraine preventative medications, I would not give up. If your current neurologist isn't helping you then go to a different one. I know its a lot of work but It may be worth it in the end. If you ever need a fellow migraine sufferer to talk to you can always message me! Stay strong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:06 pm 

The migraines I have are at least partially related to hormones. I take Seasonique, a daily birth control pill that delivers a steady dose of hormones every day. That has definitely cut down on the number of migraines I have! I wish you luck, OP.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Amy I take that too lol except I take the generic named Camrese. Hasn't helped me whatsoever. If anything they are worse Ill have a constant migraine usually a week before and the week of my periods :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:00 pm 

You poor thing!

I'm on Camrese too! I still get migraines, especially that week that I am "off". But at least it helps.

Amy