It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad my story helped a little.

I take Celexa with Suboxone with no ill effects - at least none that I've noticed. I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction to Ambien! I personally have no idea if it was the combination of taking it with the sub, but I highly doubt it. I used to take Ambien with other opiates, and sometimes it helps to think of suboxone simply as an opiate.

Good luck with the doctor!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I unfortunately don't have answers to any of your medical questions so hopefully someone else can help with that. I can empathize with the shopping issue and unfortunately, most women slowly grow from high school on so it generally becomes more and more frustrating. I wish I could be the size 7 (I'm very tall) that I was in high school. These days my hips cannot go below a size 10. PERIOD. And I haven't worn a size ten in at least 7 years now either. You get used to it.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well guys, the blows just keep on coming..

I found out the rash I thought was from the Ambien wasn't actually caused by it at all.. I have a horrible tooth infection and may need to have dental surgery tomorrow or Friday. I spiked a 103 fever and I feel basically awful. I'm also really concerned with the pain aspect.. I will be the first to admit, I am horrible at tolerating pain. Any ideas on what they can possibly do for me? I'm not an ibuprophen kind of girl.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mia that just sucks! I would suggest you stop your suboxone NOW. And definitely let your dentist know about the suboxone, because they'll need to prescribe higher than normal doses of pain meds to get past the sub. I'm really sorry about this. Try to hang in there and let us know how you're doing when you're able.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hatmaker:

Today I had my first experience with "suboxone discrimination" today. I was told I had an infection and needed dental surgery.. then, the minute I said I was on suboxone, I was turned away. THIS is coming from a dentist I've been going to for atleast 10 years. I am now stuck needing dental surgery and looking for a dentist. I swear, the blows just don't stop...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The dentist REFUSED to do the surgery?! WTF?! Mia, that's outrageous and I'm so sorry. You must be in a great deal of pain, not to mention the fact that infection is running rampant through your body. I won't say what I think of your dentist right now...

What do you think about calling your sub doctor and asking her/him to call your dentist? Apparently the dentist needs it spelled out to that you're still a PERSON needing acute medical/dental attention. I'm going to say this again - WTF?! I feel really bad, especially having advised you to be honest with the dentist. :(

What does this dentist expect you to do?? Did s/he tell you anything...like go see this or that other dentist? If I were you I would file a complaint the American Dental Association, because s/he's leaving you with an untreated infection due to ignorance and holier-than-thou judgement. I know that's not your main concern right now, but I think when this is all over it's one way to ensure he doesn't do this to another patient.

If you can't get your sub doc to call the dentist, I guess you're left with having to call other dentists and telling them your situation over the phone. I would look for one that advertises emergency dental treatment.

Again, Mia, I feel so awful for you. I wish I could help you out with all of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

omg, Mia! THAT SUCKS! That dentist is an ass, and that is being nice. You need to file a complaint. How can they do that to someone.... def. get in touch with the AMerican Dental assoc. like Hatmaker said.
Maybe Dr. J will see this and have some suggestions for you. You can not let those surgeries go, you could end up very sick. Please call around for other dentist and don't put it off. I'm so sorry Mia. Please keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I feel like something is missing here. What went on? What actually happened? What was said by the dentist? I have no doubt that something went on here but I'm having a real hard time understanding what it is. Did you say I'm taking Suboxone and in response the dentist said "well then I can't take care of you" or "I don't treat addicts" or what? Did he give you a reason? Did he give you a referral at least? Please tell us the rest of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

donh - i do not appreciate the rudeness of your message. the people who comment on the things i write have been commenting since i first joined this site and have been so helpful. you however come off very rude, almost like youre questioning the truth of what i said and i dont like it. therefore, i will not dignify any of your questions with answers. IF anyone else that has been following my updates and that have been supportive, feel free to ask me anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:03 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Mia, were you able to find another dentist? I'm very worried for you.... you have had such a rough go of things lately, I m wishing you all the best. Keeping you in my prayers.....

On another note, I don't think donh's intention was to be rude. Just to find out exactly what was said so some advice could be given. But, that is how I took it. I can understand why you are upset cause it seems as addicts we always get questioned about things, but I think donh just wanted to be able to give you some good advice or to help.

I know you are stressed out and sick, and even though I don't know you I am very worried for you! Please keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:09 am 
How totally negligent of that dentist to turn you away with an active infection! I agree with everyone that you need to turn that guy in, but first you have to get that infection taken care of. Did he at least give you antibiotics? I ve heard that left untreated that kind of thing can spread to the brain for God sakes. I hope you are able to find someone today.
Also, I agree with RTLmom, Donh is on this forum all the time helping people - I don't think the post was meant to be rude -just trying to understand an incomprehensible situation. I too, was wondering what the dentist's excuse was for turning you away.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject: how are you today??
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

[align=justify][code][font=Arial] [/font]

Hi Mia,

I'm sorry, that's the last thing you need right now. What did the dentist say?

Honestly, I don't think donh was being rude to you. I think he just wanted to get to the bottom of what happened and what the dentist said to you. It's just so awful that the dentist treated you like that, and I think donh was trying to be helpful. I know you are going through a lot right now and it's hard when someone comes in to the conversation that you have not met yet.

We are all very supportive of you, and care about you and just want the best for you. You really need a safe place to talk about things and this is a safe place, honestly.

Let us know how you are doing today. Did you find another dentist? In Canada there is a phone number for emergency dentist treatment that you can get to 24 hours a day. I do not know if you have that where you live but you could check. Please also check with your sub doctor. he may know of a dentsit that he works with that can help you.

Please stay in touch with us and let us know how you are doing, okay??? We all care!

Ginger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WOW! I guess there are many things I could say, but then I might actually say something that really is rude. I'll just chalk it up to the current stress you clearly must be under. Thank you very much Ginger, Lilly and RTL for seeing through to my actual intent. I re-read what I wrote but still am not sure what I did wrong. Oh well, I just tried to help, like I have with dozens of others here over 250+ posts. I hope you are feeling better very soon Mia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

miabellamorte66 wrote:
donh - i do not appreciate the rudeness of your message. the people who comment on the things i write have been commenting since i first joined this site and have been so helpful. you however come off very rude, almost like youre questioning the truth of what i said and i dont like it. therefore, i will not dignify any of your questions with answers. IF anyone else that has been following my updates and that have been supportive, feel free to ask me anything.

I think you are mistaking his intentions, mia. I, too, would be interested in knowing more detail of the circumstances that led to the dentist turning you away. It's not an indictment of you as a person at all. I am genuinely interested in what happened. Partly because I have horrible teeth from all of my years as an IV heroin user and I have not been to the dentist since starting suboxone, although I know I am going to need a trip to the dentist pretty soon.

So, if you could please provide a little more detail about the circumstances that led the dentist to refuse to treat you, I would really appreciate it. And I'm very sorry you are going through this, I am sure it must be very difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

First of all, it was the TONE of donh post. IT wasn't said in a concerned manor, more of a questioning one. That is just my opinion, and after all, everyone is entitled to have one. It has nothing to do with the amount of stress that I am under.. I don't lash out on people, it's not my style. Again, it's just my opinion.

Anyways.. about my dentist.
He had a condescending attitude from the point on when I told him about the suboxone. Before I told him, he had the "bib" thing on me and was discussing how he needed to pull the tooth then do some type of procedure on the infected area. Then, I asked what the after procedure was going to be, since he openly told me it was going to be very painful. He left the room and told me he needed to contact my sub doctor, but yet didn't even ask his name.. then not even one minute later he came back in saying I think you need to contact another doctor, you're beyond my help. He didn't even refer me to a new doctor, just a "dental surgeon". And that's it.. that's what happened. I have my appointment with the new sub doctor Tuesday (I thought it was Friday but confused it with another appointment) it's my hope that he'll be understanding and willing to work with me. I also found the names of some dentists that take my insurance.. So, I'm going to start calling them Monday. I have a baby shower to go to tomorrow and it just sucks royally that I have to go feeling miserable, and with an ugly rash on my face.

Thank you all for the supportive/concerned messages!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, that dentist sounds like a bit of a jerk if that's how he handled it. Sheesh :roll:

I guess I've been pretty fortunate so far with doctors. My Gastroenterologist (HepC doctor) was fine with my suboxone treatment and actually encouraged me to stay on it long-term. And my Primary Care Physician reacted favorably to it as well. Of course, I have yet to tell my dentist about it, and I don't plan on telling him, because he's never prescribed any kind of narcotic pain reliever for me anyway, even after a root canal, he just told me to control the pain with aspirin or Tylenol, so I don't see any point in telling him about it.

But I would definitely be pissed off if I were treated that way too. At the very least, he should have given you a rational explanation for why he would not do the procedure.

Post subject: checking on you!
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Mia,

I just wanted to check and see how you are feeling today. Again, I am so sorry you went through that with the dentist, it doesn't make any sense that way he treated you. I'm wondering if he just didn't want to leave you in pain after the treatment, and didn't know how to handle it. Actually, really it sounds like he didn't want to be bothered with dealing with it. It sucks royally. Honestly, it's the last thing you needed right now.

So, are you in pain right now? It's too bad that you have to wait until Monday, I really hope the next dentist is more respectful. There is no reason for anyone to be treated like that. I'm from Canada and no one here has even heard about Sub and I often wonder what would happen if I needed emergency care. I'm hoping to be able to taper soon so that if something did happen, at least my dose would be low enough that an opiate would be able to break through.

So, are you comfortable at your new place yet? Are you living alone?

I also hope your new Sub doctor is good and that you like him. As far as the taste of Sub, I have no idea why Sub in Canada is different but it is white and has a real nice lemon taste, not bitter at all. It also comes in blister packages and in boxes of 7, but made by the same company. Strange!

So I hope you are feeling a little better today and are able to have a good weekend. In Canada this is a long weekend, so I get an extra day off. It's beautiful out so I'm hoping to get some gardening done, this is the weekend that supposedly you can safely plant flowers so they don't freeze. So, I'm heading out to do that. I'll be around all weekend though if you need to chat. Also, did you see that we are going to have live chat meetings on Monday nights? I'm hoping you are able to join that, would be great to get to know you a little better.

Take care,
Ginger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sad to say but I think this is just part of the price we will have to pay for our past. I think that doctors will question our motives whenever we discuss pain or the management of it. Who can blame them? We as addicts have made their jobs much more difficult with our drug seeking (not saying you were doing that in any way). I certainly think he could have handled it a little better. It leaves us to question should we tell or not tell? You did the correct thing in disclosing your suboxone usage so kudos for that. You can be proud of doing the right thing. I hope this is the last time this happens to you but sorry to say, I doubt it. Find another that may have a little better "bedside manner". I hope everything works out for you. Keep us updated.

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Everyone..

Ginger: Unfortunately, yes, I am in quite a bit of pain. I had a baby shower to attend today and I just basically tried to pretend that I wasn't miserable all after noon. LOL As for my living situation, I'm living with my uncle and aunt.. they have never had children and are in their late 50's.. let's just say it's not really the type of loving nurturing environment that I am used to but eh... I'm going to miss my parents and long for the way things used to be regardless of where I am at. I hope you enjoyed your gardening today! the closest I get to gardening is Farmville on Facebook, lol. Thanks for asking how I was doing!

Suboxone Success: I do not think any one person has the right to judge any of us. Let me say before I write anymore, I by all means know you weren't being rude or derogatory in ANY way.. I'm just commenting on how I feel about the topic (: It had to be very apparent to the dentist by the gaping puss filled hole in my tooth that I clearly have an issue, and why should I suffer pain wise more than anyone else would? With this being said, I do realize people go to doctors and dentists to score drugs..and I do realize that the minute they hear about the suboxone, a red flag goes off in their minds.. BUT, everyone has unique circumstances, and no one has the right to judge them. I regret telling him completely and am questioning whether I am going to mention it to the new dentist. Anyways, thanks for writing.

Junkie: I am glad you have supportive doctors! I hope I get to a point where I find the same. I have always had pain meds for any dental procedure I've had. I have soft sensitive enamel and sensitive gums so I really have a difficult time. Plus, I openly admit in the current mental state that I am in... I just cannot handle it... (which is exactly what I'm doing right now)

Thanks Everyone, Hope you all have a nice weekend.

Post subject: me again!
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi again Mia,

I hope you don't mind me checking on you so often. I have a daughter your age and I can't help but think what she would do if she were in the same situation as you. She has had her own difficulties with addiction but seems to be doing a lot better now and on the right track. She also has a ton of support and I'm not sure where she would be right now if she did not have all that love and support. So, I think of you often and wish there was more I could do to be helpful. Just know that there is someone out there, even if I don't know you very well, that does care and want you to get feeling better. You have had a lot of horrible things happen to you for someone so young, but there are a lot of reasons to keep trying, to want to live, to have some hopes and dreams. You can get through all this Mia. I can tell how smart and strong you are through your words, and I'm certain when you are feeling better and can focus on other things, you can achieve anything you want.

Are you close to your aunt and uncle? I am happy to hear that you are not living alone. I have 5 children and they are all moved out of the house now. My daughter was the last one to leave last year to go to univeristy. My husband travels a lot and he is away all week and only home on weekends, so I went from having a very busy house of 7 people to just me all alone and it's been more than a major adjustment to make. My addiction leads me to isolate at the best of times, so I am trying not to do that now that I am taking Suboxone and in recovery. I am also a teacher, so am very busy all day, and all I want to do at the end of the day is go home and relax but it's hard to go home to an empty house every night. I do have the summer off so I'm hoping to be able to visit all my children and stay with each one of them for a week or so. I am looking forward to that, because sadly I didn't visit any of them last summer when I was taking so many oxy's. Pills were the ONLY thing I thought about, so I have a lot of guilt about that. I don't think I can ever make up for that lost time, but I can make sure it never happens again.

I got all my flowers planted today. They look really pretty. I must admit, I'm not much of a gardener but I do love flowers and no one else is going to plant them for me. I'm also going to plant some tomatoes, but my back is done for today. I am getting too old for all this back breaking work. (I am 48, old eh??)

So, again, I hope you don't mind me checking on you so often. Tell me to go away if I'm bothering you with all my chatter!! lol Take care,
Ginger

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next