It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here is a response to a post i made in the induction section that is sure to create a lot of uproar

"calling addiction a disease is modern society's way of turning a perpatrator into a victim....what started the disease? Does not one have to choose to abuse a drug in the first place in order to continue doing so? Yes, therefore it is a choice and choices have consequences. With the mentality that no one deserves the suffering that comes with that choice then it is no wonder why so many people refuse to accept it and do what it takes to get off. "

I'm curious about what people who already have gotten off or almost there have to say about this versus people who are just starting on the treatment because there is one thing that i find in common with everyone who has successfully gotten off opiates....they all give credit to God.....and EVEN IF you do consider it a disease consider also that there is no disease that God cannot cure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Lets just forget about the label “disease” for a second because it makes people think of conventional illness. The way in which an addict becomes an addict, i.e. decides to use drugs, is prescribed drugs, etc. is totally independent of what happens later on. All addicts reach a certain point where they cannot control their addiction which has physically and mentally taken over all aspects of their life. This is what people refer to as the disease of addiction and it is 100% independent of how it started in the first place. If you smoke cigarettes because you became addicted to them and now you have cancer, the cancer is no more or less of a disease because you once made a choice to pick one up. This is no different than an opiate addict who has progressed through the period of making “bad choices” to the period of not being able to make ANY choices. The brain is reprogrammed and unable to “decide” to stop at this point no matter what the consequences….

In terms of the “god” thing, I think you are referring mainly to the 12 steps of AA. I am not religious and do not attribute my success to god or anyone else but myself. I made the choice to change my life and I refuse to give anyone else credit. You need to get well for yourself. If you get well for anyone of anything else you will relapse.

Post subject: A Disease
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:20 pm 

If my memory serves me right, the medical community wanted the label "Disease" so alcoholism could be treated with insurance and recognized as a bona fide disorder. Drug abuse just tagged along.