It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm having oral surgery in a couple of days. I have an appointment with my suboxone doctor tomorrow morning to discuss this with him, but does anyone here know what I can expect as far as pain management. I mean, when do I take my last dose of suboxone before the surgery and will I go through withdrawal symptoms after the surgery. I know they'll give me at least a couple of days of pain meds for the pain. I guess my biggest concern is waking up in recovery and them not being able to get me pain under control because I have suboxone in my system. Is that possible?

Post subject: Tell your Dr.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:58 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Misty,
YES is the short answer to your question... You MUST tell ALL your Dr.s about ALL your Medications!!! This coming from someone that used to Dr. Shop for ALL kinds of Meds. on a Daily Basis!!! :) You could end up in some serious PAIN if you try to keep your Suboxone use from your dentist or worse you could end up in precipitated Withdrawal??? I saw your post and didn't want you to end up in agony. Please do yourself a Favor and talk with the medical professionals about this! Best of luck with your surgery and your Recovery!!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Normally if a person has to use full agonist pain meds following a procedure, they stop their sub 2-3 days before. What the doctor/dentist/surgeon SHOULD do is give you more than the average dose of pain meds. This is to try to "get past" the sub and give you pain relief as well as to keep you out of withdrawals. If you're only going to be on them for a couple of days, your doctor may just tell you to wait 12 hours before going back on the sub. It is possible that they will have trouble getting you adequate pain relief. It's happened to people on this forum. You're smart to see your sub doctor beforehand. Maybe s/he can coordinate with the dentist/surgeon about your post-op pain relief.

There's an article/paper under the "Links" section about treating acute pain in sub/methadone patients. You should read it yourself and maybe take it with you. It talks about the different ways sub patients can get pain relief.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please download this article and give it to your doctor-- ask him/her to read the last section, about pain medication in people on buprenorphine. You can also give your doc my e-book, where I discuss the topic!

the link: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/bupe.pain.pdf

I ask that you put a note on the article with the url for my blog and forum, so that your doc can send patients to join our discussion.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dr. J - I'm going to post your link to this article under the "Links" section along with the other paper (treating acute pain in sub/meth patients) that I posted some time ago.

As always, thanks doc!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
Please download this article and give it to your doctor-- ask him/her to read the last section, about pain medication in people on buprenorphine. You can also give your doc my e-book, where I discuss the topic!

the link: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/bupe.pain.pdf

I ask that you put a note on the article with the url for my blog and forum, so that your doc can send patients to join our discussion.

Thanks!
What a great article Thanks Doc, very informative :P