It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am having surgery on June 24th and will be going under general anesthesia. I am really starting to worry about the anesthesia not working because of the suboxone. I only take 4mg a day now. I have been weaning myself off of it for several weeks now. I have not told my surgeon I am on sub because it is an elective procedure and was concerned he would not want to do the surgery until I got off sub. I do plan on telling my anesthesiologist (sp?) before surgery though. It is kind of embarassing to tell people but I know I need to. I am not so much worried about my pain meds not working. I can live with pain....I am just scared that the anesthesia won't work and something goes wrong during surgery. Does sub interfere with anesthesia? I am NOT going to stop taking my dose 24-36 hours before my surgery. I have already been given my prescription for my pain meds....5mg percs so was also considering just starting them before surgery. I am not worried about taking opiates. I have no cravings and no desire to misuse them again. I just want everything to go smoothly while I am under anesthesia. Any suggestion? Comments? Thanks
Jodie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I don't believe that sub interferes with anesthesia. But, I'm not 100%, I know that others on here know the answer and that they will pop in. Good luck, sounds like you have a plan in place. I wish you the best!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I went through surgery on sub in April and I had the initial same worries you did. But I learned that suboxone does not generally interfere with anesthesia, depending on what they use. I can't imagine they would want you off the sub in order to do the surgery, but I obviously don't know your situation, your doctor, or your upcoming surgery. You might want to check out the thread I did at the time, I think it was entitled "Planned procedure April 19th" - something like that. My procedure went just fine - no problems at all with general anesthesia. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

you should be ok....I had surgery while on sub.I stopped the day before and no problems...I did however not tell the doctor I was on sub(I regret this)...I think I had a fear they wouldn't give pain meds...etc. They did and I will be honest I felt the sub worked better than the pain pills...Be careful tough....I had knee surgery 5 years ago and the doc gave me my script before the surgery....well you can probally guess what this addict did...I filled it two days before the surgery (60) 10/325. I had 6 left the morning of the surgery......I of course was in extreme pain and of course lied and said I had some people at my house and someone took my whole bottle of pain meds.......they did not ask for a police report(thank god) but would do no more refills....when I called and requested one..I went and picked it up at the phamacy..all excited and when I looked at it...it was Ibuprofen 800mg....

If the surgery is elective I would not take the percs before surgery becasue it will just be a waste as your receptors are already saturated with sub....The longer you wait the better the pain medicine will work. I knowit is hard to do when you have the meds before surgery. You should be fine for surgery....really...I worried myself for no reason. Good Luck on your surgery and I hope all works well for you. By the way I am not a medical professional just an addict..sharing my experience.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You have already gotten very good, solid and accurate information from the others so there is no reason for me to repeat what they have already told you - other than to say I agree with them. I do, however, have a concern and something else to add. You said:

"I am not worried about taking opiates. I have no cravings and no desire to misuse them again."

After reading that the red flag alarm went off on my computer. Many addicts think they will not have a desire or craving to use again. Unfortunately, that can often be the first step towards relapse - even in the otherwise healthy and solid recovery patient. There are people here on the boards that can tell you their own personal stories about thinking just like you do and then having a relapse - including when a surgery is involved. That does not mean you do not deserve or should not use pain medication. However, I strongly caution you about not being nearly as sure of yourself as you are. Us addicts have to always have one eye behind our back for a craving or relapse to come out of nowhere. We can't do that if we don't think it could happen in the first place. If your doctors don't know about your illness they won't be able to watch out for you either. I then have to wonder if others in your life have no idea to keep an eye on you and before you know it, the addiction is back in full force.

All I am suggesting is that you never completely brush off the potential to want to use again. Relapse is actually part of this disease. No one is immune. The best defense is a good offense and once again, you can't defend if you don't think there is anything to defend against. Please just consider all of this. Best of luck with your surgery. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your concern. My sub doctor knows I will be taking percocets as does my husband. I was already in the process of coming off of sub when I scheduled this surgery so I am just going to postpone it for another month and go back on sub as soon as my pain goes away. If the sub won't interfere with anesthesia I won't get the script filled till the morning of surgery and hopefully I don't need to take the percs for more than 2 days. I know I have to be careful and I plan on it. I just know when my surgeon handed me a script for percs I had no desire to fill it and still don't. If I thought I could make it through without them I would not get it filled at all. But I don't want to be in horrible pain either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi There:

General Anesthesia is not affected by suboxone, to my knowledge, but you most certainly DO want to share the fact that you are on suboxone, not only with your surgeon, but also with your anesthesiologist.

I had a liver biopsy under general anesthesia on 6mg of suboxone and it worked out just fine - my doctor advised me to stop taking the suboxone 48 hours prior to the procedure, so that they could give me a manageable amount of post-op pain medication to make me comfortable. This seemed to work pretty well.

I was in mild withdrawal when I showed up for the surgery, but they started an IV and gave me some kind of benzo that pretty much put me in a state of not really giving a crap about the withdrawal. :lol:

Not too long after that I was in the OR and it seemed like 5 second later I was in the recovery room. They gave me some fentanyl for the pain - now, normally (according to my surgeon) they would have given something much weaker for the pain, but knowing I was on Suboxone and that I would need stronger drugs at higher doses to have any effect helped me AND it helped my doctors make informed decisions about how to treat me.

The next morning I re-inducted on the suboxone and felt perfectly fine within about 45 minutes.

So, I STRONGLY advise you to tell ALL of the doctors who are involved with this procedure that you are on suboxone.