It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'm glad you were able to have a sufficient time table to taper off. Given the circumstances it could've been worse but you can use this as a reason to try harder and to do everything you can to prepare yourself for the future and for sobriety. Good luck, I hope the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:12 pm 

Well, Crich, it sounds like you are making the best decision for yourself in crappy circumstances. I'm glad that the woman you've been talking to is being a bit flexible, but like the rest of us, I'm pissed that you have to jeopardize your recovery to jump through their hoops. I urge you to try, in a non-pushy way, to educate the woman running the program about the benefits of suboxone. Perhaps if she starts to hear positive things about suboxone, she will either spend some time looking up more information, or will be more open to the idea. Good luck and keep us informed about your situation!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

WOW, I just wanted to say, 1st off None of you know me from adam and to get all this support from complete strangers.... is INCREDIBLE!! I cant thank you guys enough!! Really this means alot!

Also just wanted to add, that when i had my evaluation for my drug court, (get this), i was telling her how the withdrawls really hurt me however if i could just sleep at night and have an appetite durring the day i can push thru this but the NO SLEEPING (INSOMNIA) is what will really kill me, SO GET THIS! she says well maybe you can go to your doctor and get a sleeping medication! WHAT!?!?! Did i hear her correctly??!! I cant take a treatment drug for my ADDICTION but they will let the docs give me SLEEPING PILLS!?!?!? HOLY DOG SHIT!! I told her the over the counter stuff gives me restless leg and she said well you prolly wanna stay away from things like lunesta and ambien cause they cause sleep walking so u may not wanna go that route but maybe tarazadone?? I told her ive had tarazadone and it to gives me restless leg THE WORST! so it tries to knock me out but fails cause my legs keep me up so im a zombie. Long story short I cant continue my sub treatment but i can take other pretty serious prescription drugs from the doc such as sleeping pills??!?! I mean what next!? They gonna now tell me that well hows about taking xanax for your appetite and ur anxiety after ur off the subs!?!?!!! Does anyone else find this to be.... Well .. Not right??? a lil strange???

Anyways. thanks again for all the caring support from you all! i am VERY THANKFULL for each and every one of YOU! You are all such GOOD PEOPLE! And GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!

I LOVE IT!! :) Peace and <3 !!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is so F'd up I can't even see straight. This type of BS really makes my blood boil. If it was not enough that they are going to force you off of Suboxone TREATMENT - they will allow Ambien and other addictive medications????? That just goes to totally show these people have no frikin clue what they are doing. They are totally and wholly inconsistent. Which is it, no mind-altering, addictive, medications or they will just pick and chose? Suboxone - not allowed, Ambien - not only allowed but encouraged? What is the point of this? At least be consistant. There are groups and treatments that won't even allow OTC benedryl. They allow NOTHING in the treatment program. At least they are consistent - but this is a new one on me.

The next concern I have is not you getting off of Suboxone, it is staying clean afterwords. You seem to be so focused on the withdrawal - and rightly so. However, many here can tell you, that really is only a start to the problem. Going through the withdrawals, the sleep issues, to be sure is going to be difficult. Unfortunately, even more difficult will be staying clean and not giving into the temptation to use. I really worry that you are being set up to fail here. You get forced off of your Suboxone, you are pushed to the brink, not able to sleep, etc., and finally in a moment of desperation, you use - just to feel better and get some relief. It has happened over and over to all sorts of people. It's not a matter of "will power". So you use, and then what? You test "dirty" and what? Jail? You fail drug court? What happens? This really scares me for you.

The final concern, and I really don't want to beat you up here, but why would you not at least try to do something about this? We teach people how to treat us. Part of the reason that drug addicts are treated this way is because we allow it. If we don't stand up for ourselves and at least try, how will things ever change? Yeah, it is better than nothing that they are giving you 45 days but would not the best and most correct thing be to allow you to obtain the MEDICAL TREATMENT that has the best chance at success?

And that's why this really bothers me from the top down. No clue, inconsistent people running the show, danger of relapse and further devastation when forced off of Sub, the need to stand up and fight for what is right. I really worry for you. They are making sobriety harder for you and increasing your risk of relapse. Yeah, it is certainly better than a criminal record. No argument there. Just don't underestimate the total risk here.

Post subject: Drug Court Info
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I know this post is a few months old,.. but being in a Drug Court program and the lack of information that seems to be publicly available on the internet I feel compelled to reply.

By now I'm sure you have situated yourself into this Drug Court program -- I suspect you are off Suboxone now unless there were some accommodation for you and your suboxone use.

Not all Drug Courts are created the same -- but most follow a hard, largely uninformed line.

You have a Judge who runs things (some are compassionate, some just run it like a traffic court).

You have Case Managers (Same thing as a probation officer, CRO, etc) -- Essentially someone you are assigned to , to check in once a week, once every few weeks, or once a month throughout the program.

You have , typically, A "Treatment Coordinator", .. which is likely the lady you referred to for your evaluation you spoke of.

This person asks you a barrage of questions and this is used 'ideally' to provide each person with a tailored treatment plan.

The bottom line with this process is generally to see if A) You qualify for the program (which is dictated on their opinion of if you have a substance abuse problem).. and B) If there are different length, intensity of programs within the Drug court system they decide which to place you on based on their interview.

Some drug court programs are 6 months, some 5 years. There is a huge disparity.

They rule with an iron fist on what are called 'sanctions'. If you can't produce a urine sample (as many or most are observed) then they consider it like you took drugs. Punishment/sanction -- jail.

If you have a sample considered dilute -- again does not show that you were using drugs.. they consider it positive -- and you go to jail.

Obviously positive samples = Jail.

In my program the first time is about 2-3 days. Subsequent about 2 weeks.. and beyond that it is up to the judge.. a month, two months etc.

There are people in the program who had say 12 months to do the program who 6 years later, are still in the program because of their sanctions.. and some who have spent more time in jail than their regular sentence would have been without the DC program.

As for what is allowed.

Generally -- nothing.

If you have a serious heart condition, and need blood thinners, hypertension (BP) medication and such things that can't be abused in any way this is evaluated and generally allowed.

But if you are taking anything for ANY reason that is even remotely possible to be 'abused' by some people -- they will not allow it.

In my program you must cease immediately,.. IE: Benzodiazepines.. we have plenty of people on them for severe panic disorders, severe insomnia, severe mental health issues, seizure disorders, and the list goes on. The will not allow it. If you want an accommodation to this you must be willing to fight with your lawyer and generally go to alot of different doctors and then you still may not be able to take the medication.

Something like Ritalin, Vyvanse, Modinafil, Adderall, or other ADD/ADHD type stimulant medications -- the simple answer is no. Cease immediately.

They don't allow most OTC medications. IE: Benadryl = positive drug test .. which equals jail. Have a cough? Robitussion , Delsym , Nyquil = Jail time. Mouth wash with alcohol in it = Jail. Take Claritin-D for allergies = Jail. The list goes on, you get the idea. Anything with any remote possibility for 'abuse' is removed, no pleading no adjusting the program for each individual.

It is essentially our way, or go to prison. That is the position you are put in.

It can easily be argued that, "You are given this opportunity to get 'help' and clean you record", so you should be grateful we are even allowing you this. Which has it's merits. But with the severity and intensity of the program on you job, (having to be at drug tests every day, probation appt's, Therapy appt's, AA/NA meetings, Drug court itself.. and so forth) it is really not easy to have a steady job. Not many employers are going to be ok with you potentially having to miss work or leave 'randomly'.. and perhaps once per week for the whole day because you have to be in court --

In my program Suboxone is *not* allowed. They will allow you to go an inpatient drug rehab (before your time starts in the program) for a month or so to 'detox' (at your cost) -- but they won't allow you to take Suboxone, which is an opiate as we know no matter the therapeutic benefit.

Some DC's I'm sure do.

The bottom line -- is Drug courts are better than just having people going to prison without any alternatives, but they aren't fair.

Drug addiction is a medical issue -- a social issue -- an economic issue -- the judicial system doesn't need to be the gateway of these decisions.

Further, drug possession charges don't need to be felony's period. In my state you can get 10 years in prison for having any substance -- from marijuana, to a pill of lortab in your pocket. 10 years in prison for possessing a prescription substance? How insane is that?

Our prisons are overcrowded, most double capacity and who pays for it? tax payers.

It costs over 10,000$ per inmate, per year (often much higher) to house them. That adds up to ALOT of money.

Over a quarter of our prisoners in cages in the U.S. are in for drug possession. They need help, outside of a punitive judicial environment. Not Felony's that ruin their futures, and rotting in prison environments that don't rehabilitate but usually do the opposite and turn someone who is an otherwise 'good citizen' into a more hardened individual being around other murderers, rapists, gang members, and all the people lumped into prison.

Drug reform is paramount. Not just 'Marijuana' -- I hate marijuana but am glad to see it getting a head start on being decriminalized.. but the fact is our penalties for drug possession are way out of line with the "crime". The war on drugs has not only not worked, but has made things worse and cost a ton of money over 40+ years. We need to change the laws on simple drug possession to start with. At MOST make it a misdemeanor in EVERY state as a federal mandate -- with treatment being relegated to no judicial regulated facilities. Where people aren't essentially under the pressure of "Prison or option B".

Sorry for the soapbox moment -- but I really am shocked in 2013 we are still treating our own citizens who are otherwise 'good' people like this. Putting them in Prisons for possession of a substance. It is archaic and the will of the 'majority' of people would consider it too harsh. You have people who want to put anyone who has possession of say 2 suboxone pills into prison and throw away the key -- and you have those who think it is ridiculous like it is. Is suboxone really more dangerous than having a bottle of vodka in your possession? I think not. The opposite is true.

People will argue that we need to put people on drug charges in prison because they will steal to support their habits. We can't judge a persons actions before they DO them. If someone is going to steal and resort to crime -- then they WILL be caught in time, and those who do steal, rob, or worse -- they have committed a crime that deserves the punishment. Until then they simply are ingesting a substance that is only hurting their own body. And in many cases isn't even hurting their body.. ie: Pain patients, and the like who are pulled over with pain medicine they don't have a prescription for.. or in this case a person trying to help themselves get their life in order with self medicating with suboxone, and due to formality of prescription they face prison time.

How long will it take for our government to take a stand on these laws and make the drug issue a health issue,.. treated by doctors, rehabs, clinics, and places that are designed to help specifically and not just make tax payers pay enormous amounts of money, clog the courts, waste police officers time, and ruin many otherwise 'non criminal/ non violent' peoples lives with felony charges and prison time?

I pray to god it is sooner than later. We need the whole DEA, and stigma that plagues doctors prescribing to be over with as well. So many people suffer or are treated like criminals because of our media stigma and DEA (war on drugs) over proper physicians prescribing medications that have a side effect to make someone feel 'good'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think your RIGHT ON POINT there,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no need to apologize!!!!!!!!!

did you know that the US is the ONLY country that arrests drug addicts???

all other countries, they've decriminilized any amount that's "personal use"
or something like that.........

Im not sure the exact specifics, but I watched a one hour thing on MSNBC about it, and how
we have MORE people in prisons and jails that countries THREE TIMES OUR SIZE.....

there's something wrong with that.......

and I'm sorry,but there ARE people out there, who go to jail ON PURPOSE, becuz they need MEDICAL CARE!!!!

that to me, is pure insanity......

Not the person that does it, it probably saves the life of the person that's been diagnosed with cancer, and has no insurance.....

my husband and i both have fairly descent jobs, and NO medical, not even any hope of medical insurance.......

Anyways,
Im off my soapbox now, too :roll:

It drives ME CRAZY

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:47 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Chrome,

That was a very well wretten post and I completly agree with you.

Your description of drug court reminds me of the program Im in for impaired nurses. I can take my lithium and sub but i cant take cough meds, benadryl, sleeping pills, etc. I was informed I cant eat poppy seed muffins. I can be urine tested any time mon thru fri. A positive test equals possible loss of my job.

I am ok with this though. I can take my prescribed meds and still work as a nurse. I have a 5 year contract.

Anyway, I wish drug courts could work properly. I feel like they could do some good if someone would run them properly. Thanks for the informative post.