It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good Morning, hope everyone is well today.
I'm on day 3 of Suboxone. It has been miraculous for me, since I've become an activated addict, I've never gone this long without using... I'm just in awe of how I'm waking up feeling great and NOT feeling like I need to get high asap!
However, I'm having difficulty with cravings. The good news is, the cravings come and go, which is not usually the case for me. In the past, I was completely controlled by my cravings, and therefore used in many MANY ridiculous and downright dangerous circumstances and locales. But I feel like, this being Monday, with it's "back to the real world" feel, is perhaps the reason the cravings are more frequent this morning. Is this normal?
I've been on 6mg/day so far, split into 2 doses, my script is for 8mg/day split in 2 doses. I start thinking maybe I should take it as the doc directed, for the total of 8mg, but then I think, is this addict thinking? I'm having this internal struggle with myself and I just need some advice. I have PLENTY of activities to keep me busy today, and physically I feel great. I also begin my recovery program today. I guess it boils down to, once again, my thoughts and and how I choose to handle them. There is a verse in the bible that talks about "taking every thought captive in obedience to Christ", this makes more sense to me now more than ever.
Thanks for listening (rather reading.) I do feel better getting that off my chest. Just want to know if having cravings still is normal and if they eventually go away and how you handle them.
-L-

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Buprenorphine allows people to do things 'imperfectly' and still survive... but if you are to REALLY get your life on track, I recommend that you do things right. That means ALWAYS following the doctors instructions, for EVERY medication. That also means no more 'self treatment' or 'self-prescribing'. If you disagree with the doc, have that discussion--- but if the doc ends up saying you should be on 8 mg, then you must TAKE 8 mg. There are many benefits to doing as you are told; first, it makes you a 'normal person', at least in that regard... and it teaches you humility, to not always be in charge. It also allows for HONESTY, since you won't need to lie at every appointment.

These are all huge issues--- but they don't look like a big deal after years of using. That shows, frankly, how far things have gone.

Taking the prescribed dose might help with cravings, and there is simply no reason NOT to-- unless you just really need to lie, in which case you have some work to do....

For cravings, the best thing is distraction. If you debate it in your head, one side will always win out... so you need to get your mind on something else as soon as you can and then do the right thing-- WITHOUT getting wrapped up in your head.

If you do that, the cravings will disappear. They always do.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:43 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Good morning prayingforpeace! Yes that's completely normal to have cravings still. Unfortunately once we stop the physical symptoms we still have our minds to deal with and that can be frustrating to say the least. I can tell you that I still have them from time to time. Some days seems like I have none. Other days some and yet other days a lot. But they always pass if I get busy. Either physically or mentally busy. They will pass. As long as your dose is appropriate to cover what you need. So you may want to speak with your Dr and be sure you dose is correct. Plus for me it seemed like it took a couple of weeks to become stable. After that the mental part of the cravings got a lot less and easier to deal with. Suboxone is wonderful and I know I wouldn't not be able to stop active addiction without it. But with that said I still have a lot of work to do in order to stay stopped. Does that make sense? My brain is used to functioning in addiction. My disease tells me to use in all situations. ..good and bad ones! I think your starting you recovery program today will help a lot with the feelings you are having. And help you with tool to handle the everyday issues of life that we always used drugs to deal with. You are doing great! Coming here and getting it off your chest is a great choice! Your not hiding from it. So keep up the good work. Talk with you Dr and people involved in your recovery program. Plus I am sure other people here will have stuff to say to help. Have a great day!

Willow

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:47 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

And I see Dr j. posted as I was writing. He is so knowledgeable professionally and personally about addiction. Refer to his advice and know you can trust it! Follow what he suggests. We are very lucky to have him here for us!

Willow

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much Dr. J, I needed to hear that. What you have said really resonates...I think a lot of my issues revolve around my wanting to be in control and addiction falsely made me believe that I was in control of how I was going to feel. While I initially told myself I didn't want to take more than I needed, I now wonder if this was, in actuality, another way to feel in control of this situation. As hard as it is, I need to let go of that, because obviously my being in control has not benefited anyone. And really, it was all an illusion, because I was/am out of control, big time.
Thank you again.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much Willow!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After some contemplation, I just want to apologize. By attempting to induce at a lesser than prescribed amount I thought I was doing what was best for me, but after Dr J's comment I can see it is yet another deception. And yes, it does concern me that it's indicative of how bad things have gotten that I would do that. I'm sorry, I would never want to lead someone astray. I am serious about my recovery and although I got my feelings a little hurt, I needed that truth, so thank you Dr. J.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi, I hope you are feeling a little better now.

I also had cravings when I first started subs. For me, I think alot of it was feeling like something was missing. Waiting for a high that I knew wasn't coming. It took alot for my brain to catch up and get it. Also, you're so used to popping pills all through the day, and the constant chase to find them, count them, make sure you have enough...you know the drill. Well, after starting subs that leaves a huge hole in your life. It's a GOOD hole to have, but none the less it can be hard to deal with. What do I do now? I totally get it. Doc is correct, find something to fill those gaps when you are thinking about it and the craving will subside.

Don't beat yourself up too much about trying to start on a lower dose. My dr started me on 16mg a day and I couldn't handle that, it was way to much. I ended up stabilizing on 4mg a day. But please follow the docs advice in here and try out the dose you were prescribed, and be sure to be honest with your current sub dr. Alot of this journey invloves getting real and honest with yourself. While it may suck now, its worth it, believe me.

Good luck with the counseling session, and let us know how it goes. Hope you have a great day! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:57 pm 

It took me a good 2 weeks to a month to become completely stable on suboxone. These feelings ur having is normal imo....as long as it's not horrible intense cravings. Ur definitely gonna miss the routine of getting high. But you'll adjust. Ur still very new to sub, give urself just a little bit to let it stabilize. What I had in the beginning wasn't cravings really like I thought at the time, it was more of a complete lifestyle change. Ur whole routine changes. Heck I went from waking up in a panic to calm. I didn't know how to act lol I was so happy and grateful, but I was missing something. That goes away, trust me it will. Just do as ur dr says, find new ways to fill ur time and enjoy this second chance. I haven't had a craving in a long time, anxiety yes but things are so peaceful now. But it did take a few weeks.