It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I month ago my doctor had given me a script for suboxone, to treat a opiate addiction. He told me he was going to ween me off. Well tuesday i had called my pharmacy to have my script filled, they told me they could not fill it because my doctor is not allowed to prescribe suboxone. I called my Dr. office today to find out what was going on, Dr. was not in. Nurse said the pharmacy gave them numbers for doctors that are allowed to prescribe suboxone. I one of the numbers and the that office wanted to set up a appointment, but it would not be for a week. I am setting on one more 2mg pill for friday morning. I hope my doctor can figure out something. If not am i in for a world of hurt trying to stop suboxone cold turkey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very strange situation. I don't know if this will help you at all, but there is a 3 day rule to prescribe suboxone in emergencies.Here is the legal information:

Quote:
Are there exceptions when Subutex and Suboxone may be administered by a
practitioner without the DATA 2000 waiver?

Under the Narcotic Addiction Treatment Act of 1974, all practitioners who use narcotic drugs for
treating opiate addiction must obtain a separate registration under 21 U.S.C. Section 823(g)(1) or a
DATA 2000 Waiver under 21 U.S.C. Section 823(g)(2). However, according to the Drug Enforcement
Administration (DEA), an exception to the registration requirement, known as the "three-day rule"
(Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 1306.07(b)), allows a practitioner who is not separately
registered as a narcotic treatment program or certified as a “waivered DATA 2000 physician,” to
administer (but not prescribe) narcotic drugs to a patient for the purpose of relieving acute
withdrawal symptoms while arranging for the patient’s referral for treatment, under the following
conditions: 1) not more than one day’s medication may be administered or given to a patient at one
time? 2) this treatment may not be carried out for more than 72 hours? and 3) this 72hour
period cannot be renewed or extended.

The intent of 21 CFR 1306.07(b) is to provide practitioner flexibility in emergency situations where
he or she may be confronted with a patient undergoing withdrawal. In such emergencies, it is
impractical to require practitioners to obtain a separate registration. The 72-hour exception offers an
opioid-dependent individual relief from experiencing acute withdrawal symptoms, while the
physician arranges placement in a maintenance/detoxification treatment program. This provision
was established to augment, not to circumvent, the separate registration requirement. The three-day
(72hour) emergency exception cannot be renewed or extended. Because this is a Drug Enforcement
Administration (DEA) rule, for further details consult DEA.

There are instances where emergency rooms have dispensed Suboxone, you may want to look into this if you think it will help.Just wanted to give you the 411.