It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After several detox programs and years and years as first a painkiller then heroin addict I got on suboxone.i tried back when just a oxy addict but got turned away due to doc saying my ins didn't cover their program despite them telling me they did.I was mad and gave up.years later it came to the point where I needed it and planned on a year max.After slightly less than two years I quit thinking I could use my last few scripts tapering down and be off for good.bad idea.It didn't work and despite being out only 3 weeks they wouldn't take me in till I did the entire intake wich took over 3 months to get in the first time.(they need to make it easier for real addicts with proven medical history of serious addiction)Anyway I would of tried a diff center but that was ten min away vs hour away.Well Ive realized after almost losing job and having thoughts of using again I need to get back on as quickly as possible and taper off quickly only this time under doc supervision.that way if things aren't going well I can get help right away hopefully.I feel many people on this don't need it esp for years and years but some have addiction so bad they need it and it can be a life or death sit.Some issues I had in the old program were trying to work a reg job and I never once failed a test,got to where was seeing doc once a month,had to use their therapist once a month,and was called in for randoms once or twice a month,So almost every week I had an app.(I have ins but twenty dollar copay and didn't cover the script.Also they were open 8-4 wich I was always at work and had to leave evertime.And the urine test people were only there twice a week for two hours in am and two hours in early afternoon.Hoping I have better luck getting in quick and having them help me keep my bosses happy at work.i feel this is neccasary for me but its so hard for the people who need the help.i don't get high off it,dont sell it,just want to feel normal one day w/o anything.I hope there are people working to fix issues like these as heroin is definitely getting worse since and overdoses in my area are getting to be common since they've removed many pain meds and its so much cheaper and in some cases very potent...I really think the laws should be loosened up on suboxone prescriptions as id rather see it on the street than whats out there now...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:45 am 

I'm not sure I'm totally understanding what you are trying to do. I think what I read is that you feel like you need to get on sub very soon right now because you think you are in danger of relapsing and losing your job. Is that right? And once you get in with a sub doctor you want the doctor to help you wean off the sub right away?

I'm not being snotty at all when I ask you, what makes you think that getting briefly back on and then tapering off sub under a doctor's care will create a different outcome for you? I hope this wouldn't be true, but I suspect that you would still have to deal with cravings just like you are now.

I apologize if I'm missing something in your post that would answer my questions or make things more clear. In any case I wish you well.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I quit sub program and it was a mistake.NOT QUITTING but trying to do it on my own without a doctors help....When your on something every single day for 5 6 years it gets pretty hard to try to just wake up and not take anything.Im getting back in and feel for me its the right thing to do.I see a lot of people who don't belong on suboxone but many iv heroin addicts/opiate addicts may need it.i never believed anyone should be on it for life but my doc told me atleast a couple years min.i laughed thought she was crazy...If I did have a ? it would be is there anyway to get this prescribed in less than month or so????iive in mass and it seems like a month would be a quick time to geta prescription....meanwhile people could be dying oding waiting for that ....................................

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Start making calls to all Dr's on the registry and also call clinics and ask if they have providers as all Dr's do not choose to be listed. I can typically get people who come to me for a consult about buprenorphine in with a prescriber in a matter of hours or a couple days. We don't know the answer here, you have to do the leg work. My advice would be to follow your ultimate Dr's advice though, and not keep things from them such as your want to taper. Relapse rates are close to 100% for people who get off Suboxone even after having been on it for years (hence Dr's thinking it best for people to stay on indefinitely rather than risking death from almost inevitable relapse) unless the person has a rigorous recovery system in place when they do taper which includes a sober supportive network who you are 100% honest with and utilize in times of struggle. Remember, one use can kill you. I'm not saying on indefinitely or even stay on for longer than a few days, I'm just saying be aware of the very real possibility that you need to put in some serious work if you plan to be successful off Suboxone and I don't mean daily jogs, smashing your cell phone and eating lots of fruits and veggies. Again, I say everything out of love for a fellow addict, just give it some thought. Best of luck in whatever route you decide to go!

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for ur answer as well.It was def. a good reply and I agree with what your saying its easy to forget where u were beforehand.I actually found someone who can help in my area and its super quick.Im very happy and realize I made a mistake trying to quit on my own.I still want to get off as soon as I can but safely and if I do it with a doctors help if something comes up I can get help and not have to go through whole process again

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'm really glad you found a prescriber; my advice would be to not have any preconceived notions about the length of time on buprenorphine. You aren't on it yet and before you even found a Dr you were already thinking about getting off the medication you realize will make 100% difference for your life (the catch is that it ONLY makes that difference while you are on it.)

Get on it and let some things improve in your life, remember how miserable you have been in this time without it and the things you feared losing and weigh those when thinking about tapering EVER because with your plan it is very likely you will end up in the spot you are in now almost immediately. Your plan to immediately start tapering is an almost useless plan as it will deal with your cravings for the duration of time you are on it but not after and you haven't talked about anything else in place (certainly isn't now...What's going to be different in 30 days or 60 days? Tell us...) recovery wise.

Because you haven't used IV heroin it doesn't matter, consider yourself lucky because you have the opportunity to put your addiction in remission in the early part of something that IS progressive and always leads to crossing lines such as IV use, overdoses, prostitution, job loss, burned bridges, arrests, theft, ad infinitum.

If the rest of the post angers or seems silly or not the case for you, just read the first sentence and try to do that, I'm not saying stay on it for life or any specific length of time, but don't be focused from before day one on getting off; it's the best advice I can give you.

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.