It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:16 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I just lowered my Sub dose today from 4mg to 2mg and I'm a bit concerned because I've started to crave.

Call me naive (or dumb if you want), but I was hoping that the longer that I was on Sub and was working a recovery program the more that I'd be able to taper off without craving, you know... like how a non-addict would come off a drug... physical wd symptoms but not crave it. Of course, I'm not suggesting that I expect never to have the urge to use. I know that's bound to happen, being that I'm an addict. I'm referring only to not craving as part of the withdrawal process.

Would you mind sharing your experience as regards craving while tapering off Sub? Was craving a major problem when you tapered or would you have iterpreted craving to mean that you weren't ready?

Thanks for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:21 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Christen... I too started to have cravings when getting under 4 mg. Nothing intense or that I couldn't handle, but the thought definately popped into my head once in a while. My experience is that every time I would lower my dose it would take a couple of weeks for my body to adjust. When I got under 4 mg it took longer. You will be fine and those cravings will pass, it might take a little longer than previous reductions. Have you thought of 3mg instead of 2mg? I accually took 3 1/2 for a month before lowering to 3. IMO when we get around 4mg the lower the reduction the better. If your still struggling when your next doctors appointment comes around ask him or her about 3mg for a couple of months before dropping to 2. Good luck and remember "this too shall pass".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not a doctor, just an addict who has been on suboxone for almost 2 years. Here's my opinion:

I think that's too quick of a reduction. I would suggest reducing from 4mg to 3mg. Stay at 3mg for at least 10 days, then go from there. But the lower your dose gets, the smaller your reductions should be if you don't want to feel cravings.

I was able to reduce from 16mg down to .5 mg before I started feeling any cravings, but I did it very, very slowly, over a period of several months.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:21 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Thanks, guys. I actually took the full 4mg today, thinking pretty much what has been advised here... 2/4/2/4 equals out to 3mg a day. I knew that I had to do something. All I'm doing is thinking about using or not using.

But, now, I'm going on a bike ride

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Whenever I crave I just try to think of all the negative aspects that come after AKA waking up the next day feeling so regretful and ashamed of myself. and all the motions you have to go thru to pick up and then isolate yourself then finally use, its never as easy as you think it is in your mind. Just keep busy and youll be fine