It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Have trouble sleeping
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was just wondering if I can take any over the counter sleep aid's like unison? I should have asked my Dr today but it completly slipped my mind. I had my induction appointment on Monday and got no sleep Monday night and only a few hour's last night. I mostly tossed and turned all night. (My Dr told me this is normal) My mind is constantly racing with thoughts and things that have no real merit. I guess i'm kind of stressed out with money, and bills since I've been out of work for over a month now due to a 3 dick fusion in my neck.

In the past, any kind of opiate in my system would keep me wide awake until I ran out and went into withdrawl. I used to take xanax, and still have a prescription for it, but I don't want to take a chance with my life. Your not suppost to take xanax while on suboxone, so I've heard. It can slow down your breathing and in some cases, lead to death.

It would have been so nice to take a few unison last night. I am so tired, but kind of wired out because this is all new to my system. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and any feed back would be appreciated.

Thank's.....G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First off, I'm not a doctor or medical professional. That said, I believe you should be fine to take an OTC sleep aid as directed. I take a prescription sleep medication along with suboxone and my doctor knows - in fact he writes both scripts for me. So unisom or some other OTC sleep aid should be fine.

Let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You should be fine to take a otc sleep aid! Not sure if you know this but suboxone can cause really bad insomnia for some people. like myself every night i basicly had to wait till i was so tired to the point were i just passed out from being to tired to keep my eyes open. Now im on a serious combination for perscription sleep meds to get my full night of sleep and be able to go on with my day tomm!

so like i said you should be fine

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Sleep will come
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:32 pm 
In my experience with Suboxone (been on it for about 2 years), if you take your prescribed dose regularly, the sleeplessness will go away. Since you just started, your brain is reacting to the strength of the Suboxone. Though we may not get "high" there is a "first hit" type experience - at least for me - if I have missed 1 to 3 doses and then restart with my regular dose. If you were in the induction phase, the drug is new to your system, and it is perfectly normal to have the effects similar to when you were taking large doses of opiated. Not necessarily the high of course, but the sleeplessness, constipation, sweating, etc. As I said, I have been on it for nearly 2 years, so I only experience this when I travel and have forgotten to bring the meds with me, thereby making the next dose like a "first" dose, or when I have been "bad" and taken too many and runn out early.

As far at the sleep aid is concerned, I don't see anything wrong with it, and my Dr. has said the same. I am just saying that I don't think you will need it after a while of regular Suboxone use (at the appropriate dosage). If you continue to have sleeplessness, I would consider talking to your Doc about lowering your dose because that may be your body telling you that you don't really need as much as you both thought you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for your help. I have always had trouble falling to sleep, and I am a very lite sleeper as well. I am not used to this medication yet. I started off at my induction taking 4 mg's of suboxone, and took another 4 later at night as the Dr told me. Yesterday I took 8 mg's in the afternoon and none that evening. It might be due to taking it at 2:30 pm instead of the morning. My Dr told me to start taking it when I get up, usually around 9 since I've been out of work. When I go back to work it will be more of a normal time for me, like 7 am. I guess by the time I am ready to go to bed the medication will start to fade a little and I can get some sleep. It just sucks sometimes just laying their and being wide awake. It was real early this morning before I finally did knod off. Time will heal.

Thanks,

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:49 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hey grb

I am NOT A DOCTOR... disclaimer :)

You might consider talking with your doctor on your next visit (or whenever).

Since you have been on Xanax (but now off) - for anxiety and sleep - he 'may' choose some other sort of benzo for you or another sleep aid.

When I started suboxone I was on alprazolam, and clonazapam. .75mg of each for years.

This is not an endorsement - as I tapered off the xanax (alprazolam) with his help, and am reducing my clonazapam now.

My doctor gave me clonodine, and trazadone to help with those tapers - and amazingly they help sleep for me. especially trazadone - maybe too good.

Anyway - OTC stuff - I see no problem (opinion) - but doctors will sometimes help with other medications. At least mine did.

Keep on a postin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm prescribed trazadone for sleep on a regular basis. It's an atypical anti-depressant that's commonly used for sleep these days.
Just wanted to add that.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i take 7.5-15mg of imovane due to insomnia and it has never conflicted with my 20mg dose of suboxone. the doctor didnt want to take me off of it for fears of rebound insomnia and she said as long as i dont take more than my prescribed dose that i'd be fine. those imovane's helped me quite a lot during my wait to get my first dose of subs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started sub 3 weeks ago. Before I started I took my last opiate on a Saturday and was induced Tuesday. I slept okay Saturday night and then the no sleep thing started. By Tuesday morning I was extremely tired and thought for sure I would sleep that night due to finally starting sub. I still had problems sleeping for about three nights. I was also having the chills, sweats, and the hot/cold flashes. By the third day the chills, sweating, and the flashes were gone. By the fifth night I was sleeping like a baby without taking any kind of sleep aid. I feel I was still having some withdrawals from the oxycontin I took the previous Saturday. My doctor told me that he didn't know if the sub would work due to the high amount of opiates I was taking. He recommended methadone but I really wanted to give sub a try mainly because of my work schedule and not being able to go in every morning for my dose. I had also heard some horror stories about methadone but then again I have heard them about sub. After the 2nd day I was having doubts and almost went back in to ask for the switch. Boy am I glad I decided to wait it out! It has been three weeks now and I feel amazing. I have even cut my dose back from 28 mg to 12 to 14 mg and haven't felt any sort of withdrawals. Maybe the lack of sleep was caused by the opiate withdrawals. Maybe it was caused by my body getting used to a new medication. Maybe it was purely the mental aspect of it by constantly thinking about taking more opiates. I'll I can say is all of those feelings, both mentally and physically, will pass. I no longer have the chills. I no longer have insomnia. I no longer think about taking any other kind of pill. Just tough it out for a few days and I'm sure it will work as well for you as it has for me.
Best of luck to you!

Brian

Post subject: My own sleep aid.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I take 2 Benadryls on days I can't sleep. They work great for me and make me feel a little fuzzy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ive had insomia issues my whole life and have used perscription sleep meds for a while. but once i got on suboxone things really hit the fan and i couldnt sleep worth a damm not matter what i did. i ended up in the hospital about a couple weeks after i started sub cause i didnt sleep literally for 5 days not a wink i would nod out but as soon as i fell asleep i would pop right out of it. i first tryed ambien and hated it so much stopped asap side affects were terriable, then tryed light dose of xanax which didnt do shit and my doc got really upset with the dr at the hospital, then was put on a short term sleep med cause this was the 5th day an my doc gave in and let the hospital perscribe me a very strong benzo called Temazepam i had a 10 day script and let me say this shit knocked me out in 10 mins and wast a terriable hangover in the morning after the first day. but like i said short term due to it being a benzo so after that i finally got into the pysc. and was perscribed a combination of 2mg of lunesta and 100mg of seroquel and ive been on that for a while now and it works great for me. but i know some will say seroquel wtf it is used for bipolar dis. and schizophrenia but in some cases if nothing else works a sleep med. and i dont have either of those disorders so it was my last option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:37 am 
New Poster
New Poster

If you have been getting this problem since a long time then just consult your doctor as it can be due to the stress. Get better by getting to know what medication should be taken for the this thing.

Post subject: and another thing...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:41 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Just a thought - regarding all us opiatofiles out there :)
How many of us can honestly say, that back in our using days we had normal sleep patterns? Of course, people that managed to keep a dayjob (cudos!) had their days more organized than others, but still... Was it really normal for us to function, like any healthy, non-medicated adult should - 16 hrs awake, 8 asleep? and that's what our bodies are naturally programmed to do. Subpxpne does not make you high or sleepy, if you have an opiate tolerance, - meaning, your body regains its "healthy" sleep cycle in a matter of days, but since many of us used to have a whacked-out routine (e.g., sleep at noon, then work on our computers/watch TV/do our laundry or grocery shopping at a local 7/11 at night) - during the first weeks of sober life our brains get, uhm... somewhat confused :) besides, many of us are used to falling asleep on a couch in front of a TV, which, multiplied by years of such experience, can prove impossible to fall asleep on a normal bed in complete silence. Thoughts, thoughts and more moronic, obsessive, guilt-ridden thoughts... and bills, and debts, and all the people we've wronged... ugh! And yet we expect the Sub to magically take all it away - "give addict a finger, he'll take the whole hand" :) The pretty pink pill took away our aches and pains and stomach cramps - can it please take away the rest of our baggage? Yeah right... :)

OTC sleepaids may help, in case it used to help before, when a person was not high on opiates. Otherwise, get to know the drug until you take more of it. Eg, start with a small dose. Although most of the OTC stuff is kinda safe and child(stupid)-proof even when you intentionally try to overdose, some OTC drugs like Benadryl affect certain people in a way completely opposite to what it should do - they get restless and anxious and their heart rate goes thru the roof. Similar to speed, only without the rush and general sence of well-being. In short - pure adrenaline. Besides, some of those unfortunate souls report having unusually and unpleasantly vivid hallucinations, not unicorns and rainbows, but really freaky sh!t like shoes and severed heads scattered on the floor and weird alien plants growing out of flowered curtains. Not fun, not fun at all.

But if you have some dependency, or side-effect from long use of Benzos or Rx-strength sleep aids like ambien, insomnia might be their (sleep-aids') fault. In that case, unfortunately, no amount of Valeriana and OTC diphenhydramine will be able to significantly improve your sleep without some sort of proper medication. Just be careful and take them symptomatically, not every night, otherwise it might result in a new addiction (and I don't mean dependence, lots of people are dependent on sleeping pills and other drugs, insulin or digoxin, for instance, and some can even die from skipping a dose - I'm talking about addiction, when we associate increasing our pleasure with increasing a dose).

Otherwise - go the OTC route, try with some herbal stuff, like calm-forte, valeriana root extract, passiflora, etc, - surprisingly, they sometimes work much better than synthetic stuff. Also - very important! - to normalize your sleep pattern, start taking Melatonin supplements, 1-2 hrs before bedtime, just make sure it's dark outside (or at least in your bedroom) - melatonine is our natural hormone and it works according to the way our bodies react to nighttime (e.g. much more potent in the dark).

Working out is also great. Especially for someone who's spent the last years in a drug-induced semi-coma :) It gives the much-needed bost to our brain so it can jump-start its Dopamine-Serotonin factory. A hot bath before bedtime is a nice way to relax, too.

Good luck.