It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:22 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Whew! I just now had the chance to check in and I'm so happy to see your post CA!

Now I (along with the rest of this dysfunctional forum family) can rest easy tonight...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well when I wrote the day of surgery I must have still been under the influence of the gas and what not. I ended up feeling I don't know....just bad bad bad. They went in both nostrils and also made a cut in my mouth on the right side upper gum line. Both nostrils had tampons stuffed up them to where I think it was touching my brain on the right side. Could not breath swallow or talk very well. Even with the tampons I was leaking blood so bad to where my daughter would not come near me. I had to change the gauze that was taped under my nose every hour. I looked hideous. Swelling very bad right side only though. Both eyes darkened but not that bad. If I was metrosexual I'm sure some concealer would have done the trick.

The NIH article at least got everyone thinking. I am so so sooooo glad that I found this site and that article. My ENT doc could not get ahold of my sub doc/family doc so he called my wife until he was able to get her and she had sub doc cell#. Eventually they talked and ENT agreed to let sub doc control the pain. I got morphine sulfate ir 15mg at (1) every two hrs. I was very miserable but considering what I had just gone through things could have been worse. To be honest I was excited about the morphine. A Dr sanctioned relapse. Party time!!!! But guess what......I felt NOTHING...NADA. It didn't even make me sleepy. Not even when I took two before I went to get the tampons out yesterday. God was that ever horrible. He did the right side first I guess because that was the worst. It was at least 6 inches long and it felt like it was attached to the back of my skull. I was holding one of those kidney shaped pans to catch the tampon and the blood. I can't say that he jerked it out. It was more like a slow steady pull with one hand directing the giant roach clip and the other on my forehead to keep my head from being pulled forward. To me it was in slow motion but my mother who was with me assured me it was not. When it finally came out I let loose with a tremendous spray of blood all over his shirt.He said that is why he gets his shirts at Penny's. I couldn't believe he didn't put a smock on or something. Oh well. He let me rest a few minutes before doing the left side witch was nowhere near as bad. Then some more chit chat where he told me most people either get sick or pass out after having the tampons removed. I told him proudly that I am a Marine and there would be none of that. I did not know that at the time he was using some JEDI mind trick as there was still one more thing up my left nostril. I felt like crying but Marines don't do such things. Have at it I told him at witch time he proceeded to take a 2 and 1/2 inch piece of plastic about I don't know perhaps an inch wide out of the left nostril. That made my eyes water for sure. What a relief to get that stuff out. I can breath and swallow but still couldn't sleep last night. Still a tremendous improvement.

I was close to going out last night until I heard a chain saw. A neighbors house had caught on fire but it appears that everybody is ok and the fire is or at least looked like it was contained to the garage. Thank God! But after that I only got about an hour and 45 minutes total.

Feel better today. Swelling is going way down. I took a nasaid twice yesterday to help with that as there was NO WAY I was going to put an ice pack on my face. Ate some toast and milk. Had soup yesterday. Still can't chew. OK....Saved the worst for last.

I had to go to the pharmacy when I got back to town after surgery. I must say that when I first started on the program everybody there was cool. EVERYBODY... But the longer I stay on the sub the more attitude I catch from the techs and pharmacist. It doesn't help when my doc forgets to call my scripts in but that ain't my fault. I can then hear them calling his nurse Cindy and saying stuff like Mr Awesome is here and he is asking for a refill. Do you know anything about that. Yeah she does know something about that you stupid ignorant fuck because she is the one who told me to go and get my re. And by the way don't your records indicate that I will be out tomorrow or the next day. That is why I am here asshole! I am thinking all of this on the inside but remain very respectful and try to crack jokes about him not calling but all I get is the stink eye anymore. So I show up looking like somebody hit me in the head with a shovel asking my a script from my doc. Guess what.....yeah thats right.....He didn't call. So I start to fumble with my phone. I call my wife because she actually talked to him while I was in recovery and was told buy him what I was going to take and that he was calling it in. I wanted to ask her once again if that is what she had told me because I was a tad loopy. Just to make sure but she was in group with her clients. I started to call the doc but hear one of the techs say his name. They tell me that they have him on the line and one of the techs...the one with the phone whispers something to another tech who looks at me and starts laughing. The tech with the giggles goes and tells the pharmacist something and he says loudly...."I'm not going to give him that". Everybody in the store heard him. They may not have known who he was talking about but I sure the hell did. The tech with the phone must have told my doc what the idiot pharmacist said because the tech then said "the DR wants to talk to you" to the pharmacist. He never made eye contact with me but I could tell he was annoyed and was already filling something else when the tech told him my doc wants to talk to him.

He takes the phone from the tech like a little baby and his demeanor suddenly changes. He wasn't going to let my doc hear how he was acting. He says yes yes how many ok and the conversation was over. The tech rings it up and I paid and left without signing any of the med documents. I said I wasn't going to sign today as I just had surgery and feel very ill. I was so angry. I was so embarrassed...humiliated. It was obvious I had just had something done or been in a car wreck for cripes sake. When I got home I printed off the NIH article about pain management for those of us on sub and wrote the pharmacist a letter telling him how I felt and that I am a good hard working person who made a mistake. I will not apologize or be made to feel like I need to apologize to anybody. I demand respect and said that if anybody had any questions about what I am going through to please ask me. I had not taken the morphine yet so I drove back down to the store and walked in......boy did it get silent....Im 5'9" and 225 pounds and I'm not fat. A couple of the techs actually looked like they wanted to run away. I said to the pharmacist..."hey buddy you may find this article helpful" and promptly left the store. I have had enough of being treated like shit. It had never been that overt before but it had been going on for quite some time. It felt good to go in there and let them know how I feel.
Thanks for all the support! I wish I had found this site a long time ago.
Cpl. Awesome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:30 pm 
It makes me sad that after everything you went throught with your surgery and the ent not bothering to read and understand the article - you had to walk into a pharmacy and be treated like shit by some ignorant, judgemental, high and mighty morons. Good for you going back with that letter and article. I hope they get a clue. And I'm glad you have a decent sub doc (even through he did forget to call in the script). Hope you're feeling better.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First let me say i dont have much time im on the run. BUt im happy to hear you are getting better each day and the operation went as planned. Just keep the positive outlook and things will be back to normal any day now!

But im very sorry to hear about what had happen to you at the pharmacy. It seems like that is the one stigma we will all have to deal with at the pharmacy were we get our suboxone. Im lucky to say ive only had one bad ex but talked with the head pharm. and he knew me from day 1 havent seen that worker ever since that day. but my ex was much much worst them most ive heard. but this isnt about its about you. im glad to see you are doing well my prayers are with you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well, I’ll be a son of a bitch!

I am SO SORRY that you were treated like that.

HOO-RAH for you for the way that you handled it! I am so very impressed with that. I hope it left that pharmacist ashamed and humbled. I hope they take the time to read that article. Thank God there is something like that article out there to give us a little bit of ammunition, as it were. It should not have to be that way, as we know. The fact that you were treated like this after what you just went through infuriates me!!!! Unfortunately, if we just marched in there and told the guy to go and f himself (like we want to), it would only perpetuate their already skewed mindset when it comes to addiction.

On an unrelated note: when I had my total knee surgery I was told I could make ice packs in sturdy zip-lock bags by putting in 3 cups of water and 1 cup of rubbing alcohol per bag. I freezes into a sort of pliable slush and you can conform it to any area. Boy, they worked great for me. I was just thinking maybe something like that would work if you need ice, as you could kind of mold it to conform your face.

When you were describing getting the packing out, I cringed I get headaches, & I’ve had a toothache so I know that any sort of pain in your head or face has to be unbearable. When will you find out the pathology report?

Again, I feel awful about the way you were treated. I’m glad you have the support of your family. That helps a lot. This forum helps too, for me, even though we don’t know each other, we all have that common bond, and we can all relate. It’s so depressing to me when I hear about things like this, and it happens so often! It makes me wonder if anything is ever going to change.

Thanks for letting us know how you made out. I’ve been thinking about you. I sure hope that you are feeling better soon.

~Rossma
[u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm thinking of a complaint to the BBB. :evil:
Swelling way down. Still bleeding from the right side. Pain is very much under control. None of the pleasurable side effects. Thinking about stoping the narcs and switching back to sub maybe tomorrow afternoon. Will have to give doc a call to firm up the timeline.

Have only slept about a total of 6 or 7 hrs since Sunday. I think I would have slept better last night but about 0000 I heard what I thought were diesel engines running. Thinking it was my mind playing tricks on me I tried to ignore the sound and was able to start slipping back to la la land until I heard a chainsaw. I originally thought it was about 0200 but talking to Linda my neighbor tonight I was able to deduce the correct time. Upon hearing the chainsaw I actually opened my eyes and saw flashing lights coming through the shades. I got up and looked out the slider to see a house on fire. The house in question is actually a duplex on the main road leading into our subdivision about 150 meters or so from my back door. The weird thing is I never heard the sirens. I think all the cops in town were there along with a ladder truck and at least one ambulance. I know the couple that lives there so I got dressed and went for a walk to see if I could offer them some help. It turns out that things were under control and we all just stood around and watched our towns fire brigade at work. Needless to say I was never able to get any meaningful sleep after that.

Tonight I will return to our bed with some extra pillows to keep my head and shoulders above my heart. I'm going to cover the pillows with an old towel to keep the blood from ruining anything. Wish me luck.

Oh yeah....I have been eating soup and crackers. Bananas,ice cream,and popsicles also easy to eat with the stitches in my mouth.

Goodnight one and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hopefully I will have some answers friday when I go back rossma. Frozen section didn't give any answers. He wasn't able to rule anything out and I didn't want him to speculate. Also no cancer cells in frozen section...That made me very happy but I really just wanted to get out of there and get home.

The pharmacist still had an attitude when I dropped the letter and article off. I hope the prick takes the time to read it because it really has some great information in it. Although they didn't fully understand it at the hospital I'm sure that was due to the fact that they were only able to give it a quick once over before they had to start making decisions. Like I said they did make copies so hopefully they will sit down and digest it when they have more time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad you brought the article back in to him. He owes you an apology. Big time! He doesn't have the right to decide what you can or can't be given for pain control. What a jerk. And then for his attitude to rub off on the rest of the techs who generally don't know their head from their ass anyways is just bullshit. I have always said, it only takes one person in this whole process to screw it all up. I am glad that in the end you were good to go because of your sub doc. It makes total sense to allow the sub doc to manage the pain. All in all, this worked okay for you I think. Still miserable, but ok. I'm glad there is no cancer to worry about.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:52 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Look I had major back surgery 2 weeks ago yesterday and took my 16mg the day before and had no problem they will not lwt you go in pain just tell the doc and you will be fine anny questions please PM me any time. Don't worry it will be ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Rsaylor I'm switching back to the sub today. :? All and all things were ok. I found this site and an article that was of tremendous use. It went as good as it did because I made sure that the whole team had something to read or at least look at to back up what I was telling them.

Slept last night for the first time since last SUNDAY. :shock: Still feel sleepy so I'm going back to lay down after I feed the dog. Poor dog. I bet she is wondering what the hell happened to our trips to the park. Don't worry my furry little friend things will be back to normal in a couple days.

What kind of soup shall I have today?.....Hmmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

All is good. Made seamless transition back to sub and feel ok.
Thanks for all the info and support.
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had an incredibly busy week at work and kind of missed this whole saga, but I just wanted to chime in and say I'm glad you made it through everything. I know it wasn't easy. And that pharmacy dude sounds like an oxygen thief.