It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That's what I'm a wonderin' ?

If you have discountinued sub completely, I'd like to hear about how
difficult is was and how long you're clean of it. Who are y'all ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My suggestion would be for you to take a look around the forum. You will find all sorts of stories from people who have successfully stopped Suboxone. At least one of the moderators here, Diary of a Quitter, has been off of Suboxone for about a year. She posts on a regular basis. Others have stopped and for a variety of reasons returned to Suboxone treatment after a month or more off of it. This often seems to be due to symptoms from Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome or PAWS. While there seems to be some level of similarity between people who have stopped their Suboxone, there also is some uniqueness among them. Some report little to no problems while others seem to go through more discomfort. It really does depend on a variety of items, including how quickly the person tapers off of Suboxone. Clearly it appears that the longer time frame and the slower they go, the better the experience is. It is not at all unheard of to taper over six months or more - dropping about 10% every two to four weeks until stopping at 0.1 mg of Suboxone per day (or even less).

Again, I strongly encourage you to look through the may posts that are here to find reports from people who have stopped Suboxone in the past. Good luck to you as I see you are just about at the last planned day of your Suboxone treatment. Please continue to let us know how it goes for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

donh covered it all, but I just thought I'd add my perspective....I got all the way down to .5mg every other day, but couldn't quite pull the trigger on quitting it and actually went back up on my dose.....after carefully re-evaluating my situation with both my substance abuse therapist and my suboxone doctor it was decided that it would probably be best for me to stay on it.

However, it's worth noting that I am HepC positive and actually quite sick, since I've had HepC for well over 25 years.....most doctors suggest that someone in my situation who is on an opiate replacement therapy regimen should STAY on that regimen, so I have since went back to 8mg, and I am now in the process of tapering down to the lowest effective dose, which I think will end up being either 6mg or maybe 4mg for me.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As don pointed out, I'm here and I've been off Suboxone for just over a year. I was on it for nearly 2 years. My taper story is in the liquid taper thread, and somewhere in that thread is a link to another thread that I started after I jumped.

The short story though is that I did a long, slow taper, worked hard on my recovery and took good care of myself. It wasn't that hard - but I did do a lot of hard work to get to the point that I knew I was ready to do it.

-Jack Kornfield