It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey guys. I posted a couple of weeks ago that I was having trouble with obamacare and that they keep saying i'm not effective yet when I should be so I've been having to pay out of pocket for suboxone. For those of you without insurance know how expensive this can be! Anyhow, I told my doctor about this and he gave me a prescription for subutex until I can get this insurance shit taken care of. So my question is, how different is subutex from suboxone? And if I tolerate suboxone well, will I tolerate subutex well? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry to hear your having trouble getting things rolling. Hopefully it won't be much longer.

There is only one difference between Suboxone and Subutex. The active ingredient in subs is Buprenorphine, and Subutex is pure Buprenorphine and Suboxone has Naloxone added to deter addicts from abusing the drug.

I read a couple posts, including one from Dr. J that said brand name Subutex is no longer available. There is Buprenorphine in generic form only which should be the same as Subutex.

You should notice no difference between the two. There are a few people I have read about that have issues with the Naloxone that is in the Suboxone and once switched to Subutex they have better results. There are lots of patients that would much rather have the pure Buprenorphine, and doctors won't hand it out because the abuse potential is too high.

Glad your doctor helped you out!

Karen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey thanks! Yeah I knew about the naloxone thing but I have heard diferent things, like that subutex is stronger and more addictive so I'm a little worried about that. I have no intention of abusing or shooting it (no way) but still. Anywho, let you know how it goes!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I felt no difference between the two. I wanted whichever was cheaper since I had to pay out of pocket. The damn doctor costs way more than the expensive pills.