It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have a friend who takes extremely high dosages of Oxycontin, Percocet, klonopin, morphine lollipops, toradal, and some anti-depressants, along with several other drugs (All prescribed). All of her meds are very high dosages for endometreosis and lyme disease.

I have heard Suboxone isn't supposed to be taken with these medicines, but if I bring it up to her she gets very angry. So please tell me if you know anything about this.

(My spelling for all of these medicines are bad but you know what I am saying)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:03 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

i'm no expert but i believe that taking suboxone with those medicines will negate the effects of all the other narcotics rendering them impotent. Does the Dr that is prescribing the suboxone know that she is taking all the others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes and no.

Taking agonists on top of Sub DOES increase analgesic affect over taking Suboxone on its own. However if a person on heaps of agonists then takes Suboxone, they're in for pain. In a nutshell, Suboxone (as a baseline) PLUS agonists = increased analgesia. Agonists (as a baseline) then taking Sub = severely decreased analgesia and precipitated withdrawal.

If a person takes enough of any agonist, they can in fact overcome the blockade of Suboxone. I've known many people to do this, and in the past I have done it myself. Instead of taking $50 worth of heroin, I'd take $250 worth of heroin if I was on Sub to get the same effect.

Dr. J talked about it recently in his blog.

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/uncoupling-of-analgesia-tolerance-and-euphoria-from-mu-agonists-using-buprenorphine/

Be aware that the articles on Dr. J's blog are the opinions of one doctor.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Like was said, it kind of depends on how she using the sub with the other narcotics. Suboxone is an opiate, but it's a different kind of opiate (a partial agonist as compared to "regular" full agonists), so it has some different properties.

Do you know "how" she uses the suboxone?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for all of your replies.

I know she takes it with all of her other pills. She takes her whole days worth of pills all at the same time, which surprises me bc she doesn't overdose.

She also said it was just 2mg, would that stop the effect of all of her other drugs that are high dosages?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It would significantly diminish their effects.

A greater risk for her would be if she stopped taking her Suboxone for 2+ days but kept taking her other pills. That would be a recipe for overdose, because there'd be no Sub there to attenuate the effects of all her agonist pain pills.

By taking Sub with her pain pills, she'd be getting less than 10% the effect of her cocktail than she would by taking her pain pills alone.