It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am on suboxone and have been for over a year now, I am now addicted to them and can't seem to cut myself down or off them. So I have been looking at information about the vivitrol shot and am highly considering it I just have a question, the one thing that is stopping me from quitting the suboxones is the withdrawal and getting sick. So when you get on the vivitrol shot do you have withdrawals at all the whole 28 days?? I am having a hard time I feel like there's no way I won't have any withdrawals at all for 28 days?? Please help me if you can !! Thank you in advance

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You do not have any withdrawal while on the vivitrol injection. That is because you have already completed it. You need to be off all short acting opioids for a week and methadone/Suboxone for 7-14 days. You then would get a test dose orally for three days to ensure it is all out of your system.
Then you get the injection.
It takes a highly motivated individual to prep for the injection and it is often done in an inpatient/treatment setting to assist the detox process.
Others will probably be along to address your comment about being addicted to Suboxone and to seek clarification of what you meant.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes-- I think doc is pointing out that you are 'physically dependent' on buprenorphine, not 'addicted'. You COULD be addicted, I suppose-- but that would be unusual for buprenorphine. Addiction generally means the person has an obsession to use a substance that goes beyond just the avoidance of withdrawal.

My problems with Vivitrol are 1. the drop-out rate is very high-- i.e. 70% of the people who start treatment with Vivitrol drop out of treatment earlier than planned. Those people have a very high rate of returning to opioid agonists. And 2. the death rate is higher in people who relapse after being on Vivitrol, because of reverse-tolerance to naltrexone. Docs who treat with Vivitrol tend to follow patients while they are on the drug, but then stop seeing them when they aren't getting the shot anymore. I think that anyone treating people with Vivitrol has the moral obligation to see the treatment process through to the end-- i.e. continue to see the patient for a year after stopping Vivitrol. And yes-- that approach goes for buprenorphine too-- although most docs keep patients on buprenorphine for much longer than people are maintained on Vivitrol.