It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Has anyone ever paid for a suboxone prescription with insurance and then had their insurance premiums raised on them because of the sub prescription?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi whipit -

I use my insurance to pay for my sub rx (less a $20 copay) and have never had my insurance premiums raised. In fact I take another medication that's about $3K a month and still my premiums haven't increased - (call me lucky, I know I do).

Is that what happened to you? I mean, did they tell you specifically that was the reason for the rate increase? I've never heard of that and frankly I think that just bites. I'm sorry they did that to you.

Can anyone from the insurance industry comment on this? I'm interested to hear more from other members.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

no, luckily this hasnt happened to me. the insurance/cost is the only thing keeping me from obtaining a suboxone script, and i was wondering if it was even a possibility.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

are there any possible downsides to paying for suboxone through insurance? could they possibly raise your premiums or anything else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm relieved to hear that didn't actually happen to you. Some people are concerned about using insurance because if there's not one already, there could be a "paper trail", so to speak, of your addiction. It's thought that if you were ever without insurance that addiction would/could be considered a pre-existing condition and thereafter not covered right away.

Having said that, I'm not sure I recall that happening to anyone, it could just be a non-documented concern. Have any other members heard of this happening?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

A few years ago when I got married and switched to my husbands insurance company we had co-pays of $25 office visit, $10 generic med, and $25 name brand medication. About 9 months in are co-pays went up to $50 office visit, $15 generic med, $45 name brand med, our hospital deductable went from $1000 a family per year to $4000 per person a year, and our monthly premium went up some. At the time he was working for a small business that was owned by his uncles. Our family, 3 uncles and their families, his sister, and 1 or 2 office workers and their families were on the insurance. His grandma is in charge of lining up insurance and she told us that they had to chose a higher deductable and co-pay plan(through the same company) because the rates had doubled. This way the business still payed about the same amount, but the individual families would pay more based on what they used. One of the things that she had mentioned with the doubling in rates was that recently their were more expensive claims going though the insurance than before. I don't know if it had any thing to do with me or not, what other families claims were, or what is normal increase in insurance premiums. At the time I was taking 3 1/2 tabs of Subutex a day(about $1350), office visit, depression medication, and about one urgent care appointment a month for UTI's and antibodics.
One thing I do know for sure is that before I switched to my husbands insurance I was on Badger Care(WI) and I received a letter from them stating that I didn't have any pre existing conditions.