It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am addicted to opiates which I guess is why everyone is here. I have only obtained them legally for a chronic pain condition but they took over my life and I wanted off that rollercoaster. I tried weaning myself off but just am not strong enough I guess. I decided to start the suboxone thing and have and am doing pretty good. But can you ever stop Suboxone? I have been reading some threads here and it sounds awful. Have I just traded one addiction for another? I take an 8mg film twice a day. How will I wean off and when? Is it going to be the same as when I tried to stop the opiates? I really can not stand that awful withdrawal stuff so how does one stop suboxone without the painful withdrawal or is that even possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I stopped Suboxone by tapering slowly and a little bit at a time while also working on many other aspects of my recovery. I worked on my pain issues, my physical and mental health, made new friends and got new hobbies, went back to school, etc. It took a while and a lot of work but totally worth it. I now have 4.5 years in recovery, 2 years on Suboxone and 2.5 years off and I'm doing great. I was never able to taper off full-agonist opiates on my own and when I quit cold turkey I would always relapse pretty quickly. I believe my time on Sub and the stability it gave me created the opportunity for me to finally get healthy and change my life.

We have other members who have quit Suboxone and continue to do well in their recovery. Laddertipper recently completed a successful taper after 6 years of Suboxone, Romeo quit cold turkey and continues to work hard at his recovery, he recently celebrated 100 days opiate-free, Bronzebeta did a liquid taper like mine and checks in periodically to let us know he is doing well, SherGonnastop is still off Sub and just posted recently. Check the Stopping Suboxone section and Bupe in the Rearview Mirror.

Keep in mind that when you look for stopping Sub stories on the internet, the people who have the hardest time are going to be making the most noise. If you quit relatively easily, why would you feel the need to post about it? So seek out positive stories and try to do the things those people did to succeed.

Try not to worry about stopping Sub right now. You got on this medication because you were addicted to opiates and you couldn't stop on your own. Give yourself some time to work on whatever issues you have and when you are stronger and more stable then revisit the idea of tapering. I think you will find that it seems less scary when you're actually ready to do it.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: stopping subs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was addicted to opiates for 2 years before going into sub treatment. I was started on a high dose of 32mg and had no problem tapering down to 1-2mg before jumping off. The withdrawals were absolute hell. I know that 2mg is much higher than the average suggested dosage to taper down to before trying to quit, but like your post suggests I just wanted to be healthy and drug free. I ended up relapsing on oxycontin after 12 days and eventually I just had to kick heroin cold turkey. In my experience tho, there is no easy way out. Go to AA meetings, they saved my life

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hang out on Suboxforum, and you'll be OKAY.

We kick negativity's ass.

Post subject: Mistake??
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:21 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

If taking suboxone will help you stabalize then you do what you have too, but yes getting off is really hard, I will not lie.

Stay here and you will be alright, just like tearj3rker said.