It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Do I have a good doctor?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Last Monday, I decided to make phone calls to inquire about getting suboxone treatment. Two days prior I was getting dopesick very badly and all my connections were dried up except for one of them. He happened to have 9 suboxone 8mg pills. I have heard about them in the past but had never taken subs before but I was desperately sick and had to be at work in a couple hours so I bought them for $15 a piece. While driving to work, I began to feel so good because the sickness was subsiding so quickly and the compulsion to use drugs and alcohol were literally all but lifted from me so, by the time I arrived at work I felt "normal" like I never had before in 30 plus years of using opiates, hence the desperate phone calls placed on Monday to find a doctor to prescribe suboxone. I was in awe at how well I felt and it was all related to suboxone. I really believe had I not bought and taken those subs from that dealer on that day, things just weren't going to end well for me and soon...you know, that feeling we get right before you realize that everything in your life is 100% completely out of control and consumed with great fear.

Anyway, back to the Doctor. After making about 6 or 7 calls, most places had a waiting list and their first appointment price tag to see those doctors ranged anywhere from $300-$400. Since I only had 6 subs left from the dealer I knew I couldn't wait to be placed on a waiting list and inpatient rehab was not an option since I've been in 21 of them since 1986. Also, I thought the $300-$400 cost was too expensive yet I was willing to spend $60-$100 per day on opiates to just not feel sick. I decided to make one last call and that's how I found him. I figured he was going to tell me the same thing as the previous doctors did but I got surprised. He asked me if I had $200 cash and would I be able to come in now and he would accomadate me. I got in my car as fast as I could and drove to his office. When I got to his office the lights were turned down low (reminded me of being at the dopeman's house) and he invited me in and the first thing he says is:"did you bring the $200?" He told me that I looked sick and that he was going to help me. Even gave me his home and cell phone numbers should I have any questions or concerns. After 20min. of talking to me he wrote a script for 120 8mg of suboxone @ 4 per day and told me what pharmacy to go to since all pharmacy's don't stock subs. Gave some papers to me to take home to fill out and return them at my next scheduled appointment on November 2nd and not to forget to bring $200. No lab work or medical histories were performed. Seems a bit shady to me now especially since I've learned so much on this forum but these subs have provided me with over a week of "real" peace. He is a Psychiatrist too. Is it just me or is this how first sub appt's go? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Last edited by Joe L on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've noticed that the pupils in my eyes are very small. Is this related to the bupe and will they return to normal size as I taper down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My pupils have been small from the bupe for coming up on two years. I don't know if everyone gets that effect or not, but I know I do.

That doctor does sound a bit shady. You can usually get suboxone at most pharmacies. If I were you I'd call around for the best price and pick your own pharmacy. You can always stick with him until you can get in with a better doctor, but that's entirely up to you. Some doctors will require counseling, drug screens, and as you found out are more expensive. Do you have insurance? If not there is a patient assistance program from the manufacturer that is for uninsured people. Maybe you can find a better doc that has room for patients on that assistance program (doc are allowed only 3 patients on the assistance program).

On your dose - I'm not going to tell you to disregard the doctor's orders, but 4 tablets a day is quite high. Remember how good you felt on that one pill? That might be all you need. You wouldn't be the first person to take less than prescribed.

Finally, I want to say congratulations on changing your life! Good on you for taking that step and choosing recovery/remission. I wish you the very best.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
My pupils have been small from the bupe for coming up on two years. I don't know if everyone gets that effect or not, but I know I do.

That doctor does sound a bit shady. You can usually get suboxone at most pharmacies. If I were you I'd call around for the best price and pick your own pharmacy. You can always stick with him until you can get in with a better doctor, but that's entirely up to you. Some doctors will require counseling, drug screens, and as you found out are more expensive. Do you have insurance? If not there is a patient assistance program from the manufacturer that is for uninsured people. Maybe you can find a better doc that has room for patients on that assistance program (doc are allowed only 3 patients on the assistance program).

On your dose - I'm not going to tell you to disregard the doctor's orders, but 4 tablets a day is quite high. Remember how good you felt on that one pill? That might be all you need. You wouldn't be the first person to take less than prescribed.

Finally, I want to say congratulations on changing your life! Good on you for taking that step and choosing recovery/remission. I wish you the very best.

I never noticed the pinpoint pupils when I was using opiates but maybe they were smaller and I'm just noticing it now being that my awareness is sharper than it ever was. Also, being 51 years old and struggling with addiction since I was 14 years old do you think that my doctor would allow me to use subs as maintenance for the remainder of my life? From 1986, I've done all the aa/na stuff, worked the steps, sponsered people and had a sponser, 21 inpatient treatments, dozens of outpatient treatments, countless detox centers, many halfway houses and three-quarterway houses, 3 psych wards, jails, homelessness, unemployable, ruined credit, damaged relationships, 3 DUI's, etc. I really believe that suboxone in conjunction with aa/na are my only and last hope at any kind of quality sobriety. My last relapse happened July 11, 2005 after having 2 1/2 years of uninterrupted recovery. I didn't stop using/drinking until last week when I inadvertently stumbled upon those 9 subs from the dopeman. My relapses almost always last for years, not days as evident of this last one. I just don't want to ever have to relapse again. Today, I'm more afraid to live through active addiction than I am in dying from it. Thanks Hat for your encouragement.

Last edited by Joe L on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You sure sound like a good candidate for sub maintenance. There are others on the forum in much the same position as you, and they plan on staying on sub for life, too. It's one hell of an alternative to what active opiate addiction can do to one's life. I will probably be on it for life myself, but I have two chronic pain conditions and suboxone helps treat my pain.

Like you, I don't remember my pupils being small when I was using either. You might very well be right in that now we are capable of actually seeing ourselves in the mirror (now that we're "clean").

Good luck and we're happy to have you here. I hope you stick around and keep posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome....
Well it definitely is not unusual to find a doctor that does not do cash only. I have had two sub doctors and both took cash only. Currently my doc charges $175 a month for a 30 day supply but he does drug screens and always examines me on every visit. Obviously this does sound a little shady especially how big your script was. Do you have insurance?......if not that will be an expensive script. At least now you have some sub and you can do a little research on the doctor plus this could give you time to find a different doctor that you are more comfortable with and maybe a little cheaper.

Hat already told you but if I had 120 8 mg subs that would last me 4 months. My first doctor took inusrance for everything but his sub patients-cash only. My visits lasted 5 minutes........How is it going? Here is your script...see you next month. I am sure you will get more responses and believe me some would pray to have your doc. What state do you live in? If you search the site somewhere on here is a link that allows you to check on your doctor for any complaints...etc.

As far as the pupils. I hate it.....I get pin point pupils and have from the very begining. I am active in AA and I constantly get comments "are you still sober"?. The only time it goes back to normal is if I stop taking for about two days. I am not sure if we have an option on this. I just went back to wearing glasses because of some of these comments.

I am glad you got a doctor and you are now on sub legally. It has changed my life and saved me so much money and has helped me get my life back together. Whatever you do- doesn't matter if you take more it is just wasting money....they say 4mg is usually the ceiling. Most of us have tried it to take more to get some kind of high and it just doesn't work. The same with opiates you will just waste your money if you take any opiates while on sub as your receptors are so blocked that the opiates will not work. Again take from experience. Welcome to this new life and I am glad you found suboxone.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:01 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

If you can get by with 8mg ( 1 pill ) per day , dont take any more. Your Dr. is being a little over safe, he should want to see you in 3 days so he can help you with the dose amount, he's left alot of learning up to you.. If 1-8mg pill keeps you feeling ok for 24 hrs you most likely don't need any more, before taking more sub try breaking it half and doseing twice a day, BIG difference doing this, Good Luck, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to disagree with the dosing twice a day - unless the person is taking it for pain or are tapering off and at a very low dose. Otherwise the idea is to stop dosing whenever we feel bad or things go wrong and to just dose once and forget about it. 8+ mg should easily last 24 hours. But that's just my take.

Post subject: Sorry !!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:48 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

What I meant in my post was to exhaust everything before raising the sub amount over 8mg per day... Maybe I wasent clear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey man first let me say congrats on getting yourself into treatment thats really big of you to do. But as of your Dr that seems a lil shady to ask about the money b4 anything else when considering youve have never talked with him he doesnt know your medical backround. pretty much just seems like the money is his main interest. did he even ask you about your addiction in any way? Cause 32 mgs a day is a very high dose for anyone. An the one thing i can tell you man any sub dr who doesnt do drug screens doesnt make you attend meetings in the long run will hurt you more then help you. cause i noticed with freedom at my first sub dr i was useing weed an was close to relapseing by being in the enviroment i was in.

the drs who coast more are noth better but they will prolly run a tighter program.